[OFFICIAL] Community Fly-In Friday: Waterton Glacier International Peace Park

Above: IRL photo of Waterton Lake in Alberta, Canada by @simtom2

We will be hosting an Official Fly-in alongside a group of community members (you!) on Twitch. This is an open event, free to all who would like to fly along with us and available to pilots of all skill levels. The goal is to have a great time, explore new locations of the world, and make new friends. This event is open to pilots on both the PC and Xbox platforms.

Hosted by @SeedyL3205, @Jummivana, @Pieter1982NL, @simtom2, and @FactualGull1036

When: Friday, January 7 @ 2000Z for two hours.
2022-01-07T20:00:00Z
Where: The Official Twitch Channel of MSFS

There will also be a Discord event channel open for those who want to voice chat with other members of the community.

Please see below for details on the upcoming Fly-In Event:

FLIGHT DETAILS

For our first fly-in of 2022, we wanted to start the new year by sharing a message of international peace, cooperation, and goodwill. One of the most beautiful places in the world that epitomizes this sentiment is the Waterton Glacier International Peace Park. Located in North America’s Rocky Mountains, this park is shared jointly by Canada and the United States, with the Waterton portion in the Canadian province of Alberta and the Glacier portion in the American state of Montana. We will be flying on both sides of the border during this flight.

Pilots on PC can download the .pln file here:
Community Fly-In Friday 2022-01-07 Waterton Glacier International Peace Park.PLN (13.7 KB)

We will be starting at CZPC. Please load your aircraft 10 minutes prior to take off and taxi over to the runway in preparation for departure.

AIRCRAFT

Recommended aircraft: X or NX Cub, Cessna 172, Pilatus PC-6 Porter, Pipistrel Virus, or similar (~120 knots cruising speed)

WEATHER

We will be using a custom weather preset for this flight, “Nice Snow”. For PC players, please download the file below and place it in the correct location depending on whether you have Microsoft Flight Simulator from the MS Store or from Steam (replace YOURNAME with your Windows username):

MS Store
C:\Users\YOURNAME\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalState\Weather\Presets

Steam
C:\Users\YOURNAME\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft Flight Simulator\Weather\Presets

NiceSnow.WPR (2.5 KB)

MULTIPLAYER SETTINGS

Please adhere to the following settings so you can see everyone / be seen by everyone.

Variable Setting
Server North Europe
Multiplayer All Players
Live traffic As preferred
Weather Nice Snow
Time of Day Night

It is advised in this flight to turn off both aircraft collisions and terrain collisions. If you do crash, you can use “slew” mode to join the pack. If the pack will be too scattered before the first stop, we will use slew on a defined point to regroup.

COMMUNICATION

To communicate with others, a voice channel on the "Official Microsoft Flight Simulator Discord” at https://discord.gg/msfs will be available to join.

LET’S FLY

This is meant to be a fun and informal flight. Everybody is welcome, no matter the amount of experience.

11 Likes

North Europe server not working tonight. Ruined first half of evet until they switched to SE Asia server halfway through. Great after that!

Well, I was there and also a lot of other pilots. As for whether it was organised or not, it was hard to tell. As I don’t have any way of voice comms, we just sat on the runway for a while whilst a few people circled overhead. Eventually, about 20 minutes after the official start time, we all sort of set off. There was about 5 or 6 of us that pretty much stuck together for the first half of the route and then overhead Glacier international KGPI, I looked around and everyone was gone, so I assume I lost connection.

Gotta say though, It was a new experience for me and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Thanks to the pilots who I flew alongside. Although bringing a G36 and a TBM 930 to a bush flight might have been a little over exuberant :slight_smile: I was the one in the Bush divers C172.

1 Like

Nice :wink:

We must have set off as a group after you. I remember seeing JUMPHOG at the airfield early on, but none of the other names there. Shame. Looks like a nice group.

Hi,

After sometime we changed the server to Asia.

1 Like

Oh…bummer.

Were you watching the Twitch stream?

Brilliant…

1 Like

After these screenshots we switched servers and I did see more airplains but unfortunately I forgot to make more screenshots.

1 Like

I loved my first community fly-in.
Since I didn’t have a flight plan or anything besides my Xbox, it was a bit difficult to stay with the group. I also don’t see anyone all the time. After the switch to another server it was better. But despite that, it was a lot of fun and I will participate more often.
I’m curious about the public community’s playlist on Spotify :grinning::grinning:

Err…No, should i have? I just looked at the OP and I can see I obviously should have. Trouble is, in VR, I couldn’t easily switch back to Windows. I just hoped I could turn up and follow everyone else. However, a server change was always going to leave me stranded. My bad.

I will try again next time and find another way of watching the twitch.

Hey, that’s me!

Yeah, we host the event on Twitch. You don’t necessarily need to watch the stream, but you should at least listen to it to hear what the hosts and guests are talking about. For example, you were confused why everyone suddenly took off: that was all coordinated on the stream. Same with the server change.

See? :smiley:

1 Like

I was bringing up the rear due to some technical issues, but as this was my first community event I’m happy I at least finished. I’ll have to do this more often! Quite the turnout!

SE Asia server was better but I was a bit frustrated to have planes popping out and eventually back in. A few times I lost track of the group because planes kept disappearing. On the runway SeedyL was not visible and had left before we realized. I was part of the 5-6 people by ourselves but when we switched to SE Asia a lot of other planes appeared. Hopefully this server issue can be resolved soon. I have heard others complaining but until today I had never experienced this major disappointing problem. Otherwise I have enjoyed MSFS since release. Keep up the good work and please make this a priority.

As an XBox flyer, I hit a snag. No way to use the weather or to load the flight plan.

I join other fly-in events and they get around the issue in various ways, the simplest of which is to give a list of target fields in order so we can follow along in the event that tags and planes are not appearing.

Big thanks to the guys in Discord chat for providing headings when I needed them. We didn’t know about the server change until halfway through the flight, so had a few more planes in view after that.

Fun flight and enjoyed the good company. :+1:

Forgot to get a screenshot until we landed, but here we are at the end.

1 Like

Great snowy ride with lots of dad jokes. Thanks to everyone!

2 Likes