[Official] Community Fly-In Friday: World Tour Stage 3: Ottawa to Gander

We will be hosting an Official Fly-in alongside a group of community members (you!) on Twitch. This is an open event, free to all who would like to fly along with us and available to pilots of all skill levels. The goal is to have a great time, explore new locations of the world, and make new friends. This event is open to pilots on both the PC and Xbox platforms.

Hosted by @SeedyL3205, @Jummivana, @Pieter2427, and @simtom2
When: Friday, January 12 @ 1900Z for two hours.
2024-01-12T19:00:00Z
Where: The Official Twitch Channel of MSFS

There will also be a Discord event channel open for those who want to voice chat with other members of the community.

Please see below for details on the upcoming Fly-In Event:

FLIGHT DETAILS

The Community Fly-In Friday World Tour continues!

As always, we depart from our last arrival airport, in this case Ottawa. From there, we will fly eastbound along the St. Lawrence River where we’ll visit Montreal and Quebec City. Then we have a long stretch over parts of New Brunswick and the Gulf of St. Lawrence before we arrive in Newfoundland.

Note: this stage and the next few after it will be longer than usual as we make our way across the Atlantic Ocean. Once we arrive in continental Europe in a few weeks, we will once again be able to fly shorter distances and better enjoy the scenery.

Pilots on PC can download the .pln file here:
2024-01-12 World Tour Stage 3 Ottawa to Gander.PLN (2.9 KB)

We will be starting at CYOW. Please load your aircraft 10 minutes prior to take off and taxi over to the runway in preparation for departure.

AIRCRAFT

Recommended aircraft: We have a lot of ground to cover in this flight, so we are recommending any aircraft of your choice with a very high cruise speed (420+ knots or as close to it as you can get). Any of the jetliners such as the Airbus A320 or Boeing 787 Dreamliner will work, or you could also choose a business jet like the Citation CJ4 or Longitude, a fast jet like the L-39 Albatross from the Reno Air Races collection, or the Boeing F/A-18 Super Hornet or another military jet.

MULTIPLAYER SETTINGS

Please adhere to the following settings so you can see everyone / be seen by everyone.

Variable Setting
Server SE Asia
Multiplayer All Players
Live traffic As preferred
Weather Few Clouds
Time of Day Daytime

It is advised in this flight to turn off both aircraft collisions and terrain collisions. If you do crash, you can use “slew” mode to join the pack. If the pack will be too scattered before the first stop, we will use slew on a defined point to regroup.

COMMUNICATION

To communicate with others, a voice channel on the "Official Microsoft Flight Simulator Discord” at https://discord.gg/msfs will be available to join.

LET’S FLY

This is meant to be a fun and informal flight. Everybody is welcome, no matter the amount of experience.

7 Likes

CYQB touch&go

2 Likes

The Learjet should cope with this. I’ve had it up to just over 500kts before.

1 Like

So once again I took the f18 for this long flight. However, I found one thing I disliked. When I got close to Gander, NFLD. It flew passed it. For some reason it. I ended up crashing twice before making a landing.
Yes, I’m so talented in my crashing that I managed to do it twice, we call that being a professional crasher.
I see myself doing the flight again, with a different plane, to see how things go with this other plane but for now, here’s the original flight.

Unfortunately I will be away on holidays for the next two flights, but I’m going to fly them on my own time to get get caught up…. I was super excited for this one too as my spouse grew up about an hour away from Gander,

4 Likes

Tried the flight again, different plane… Maybe it’s just me but the AutoPilot doesn’t seem to like the airport it seems to fly around it and fly off, both times I had to turn off the AutoPilot and land it myself

The CJ4 will do 420KTAS, but not at the 2500ft we usually fly these at (at least not without constant overspeed warnings). To get those kinds of speeds out of the one or two bizjets that can do it, you need to get up high. The F35 can go that fast low down, as can most other military jets. I’m not sure the A320 can go that fast at low altitude, but it’s not an aircraft I fly, nor any of the other airliners.

What altitude profile are we likely to be following? Low and fast isn’t really an option except for military jets. High and fast is good for bizjets but you’d have to get up there fairly quickly to make the distance in the time available.

I’m struggling to see how it’s going to work if I am flying the CJ4 or the Longitude. I suppose a way to do it would be to fly lower and slower up to Bishop’s Falls Bridge and then dash for altitude and high-speed cruise to make the leg to Gander…

My plan is low(ish) altitude from Ottawa to Montreal to Quebec City where most of the interesting scenery on this route is found and then high altitude on the really long final leg from CYQB to Gander.

5 Likes

I started a bit late and only caught up right at the end in this little Mach 1.2 flyer, but it was a good flight nonetheless, touching down a bit after dusk.

Personally I prefer the old style community events where we can go low and slow around interesting scenery and landmarks, but I know the long haul cruise alt thing is perfect for some others so I’m happy to come along either way. Looking forward to seeing the rest of this world tour play out once we’re across the ocean.

5 Likes

For the entertainment of next week stage 4, perhaps a quiz with the chat is an idea? It was done once before during community flight and was a lot of fun!

5 Likes

Fun seeing the Legos, Sudoku and such on the stream to fill the time. At stream end, I’m still 40-45 minutes of flying or so. Decided to keep to the Vision Jet I started these flights with even though it is a little on the slower side for these long legs.

3 Likes

We only have a few more of those, so hang in there :wink:

4 Likes

I’m not going to let a bit longer of a flight time keep me from flying along. Nice comfortable flights and some fun bits of information to listen to during the stream.

1 Like

Thankfully we only have a few more of these long haul stages to get across the Atlantic, then we’ll be back to the more sightseeing style flights once we’re in Europe, Africa, and Asia. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yeah I did hear you mention that at the end of the stream, so that’s good news. I do still enjoy flying airliners/long haul, but I usually do it solo whereas the community events, I liked being able to explore with everyone. So this is a different mix that is good in its own ways. Definitely looking forward to getting across to Europe et al.
Thanks!

1 Like

I missed the first two stages of the World Tour, so I was happy to join this week, even if this week’s stage was a longer and maybe less exciting one. I haven’t tried any of the jets before so I decided to fly the F-117 I acquired during the winter sale (the recommended 160-190 KIAS landing approach speed for this plane is bonkers :sweat_smile:).

Also as a Lego enthusiast, I liked the building of Legos as the in-flight entertainment. For anyone who plans to build Legos during the next stage as well, I recommend the bonsai tree (set number 10281) for anyone who doesn’t have it. It’s a beautiful set and the build-up of the cherry blossom foliage is very fun (I don’t want to spoil it for those who don’t own the set). Probably I will build some smaller sets as well during the next stage of the tour.

4 Likes