[Official] Community Fly In Friday: World Tour Stage 5: Nuuk to Reykjavik

We will be hosting an Official Fly-in alongside a group of community members (you!) on Twitch. This is an open event, free to all who would like to fly along with us and available to pilots of all skill levels. The goal is to have a great time, explore new locations of the world, and make new friends. This event is open to pilots on both the PC and Xbox platforms.

Hosted by @SeedyL3205, @simtom2, @AlyKatz, and @ZKd0s
When: Friday, January 26 @ 1900Z for two hours.
2024-01-26T19:00:00Z
Where: The Official Twitch Channel of MSFS

There will also be a Discord event channel open for those who want to voice chat with other members of the community.

Please see below for details on the upcoming Fly-In Event:

FLIGHT DETAILS

The Community Fly-In Friday World Tour continues!

After arriving at Nuuk last week, we’ll be flying over the frozen glaciers of Greenland as we make our way to Reykjavik, the capital of Iceland! :iceland:

Be sure to install World Update XV (free from the in-sim Marketplace) for the best experience with this flight.

Note: this stage and the following one will be the last two legs of our transatlantic voyage. From World Tour Stage 6 onward, we will once again be enjoying more scenic flights with interesting landmarks as we travel throughout Europe, Africa, and Asia.

Pilots on PC can download the .pln file here:
2024-01-26 World Tour Stage 5 Nuuk to Reykjavik.PLN (2.2 KB)

We will be starting at BGGH. Please load your aircraft 10 minutes prior to take off and taxi over to the runway in preparation for departure.

AIRCRAFT

Recommended aircraft: We are once again recommending any aircraft of your choice with a very high cruise speed (400+ knots or as close to it as you can get). Any of the jetliners such as the Airbus A320 or Boeing 787 Dreamliner will work, or you could also choose a business jet like the Citation CJ4 or Longitude, a fast jet like the L-39 Albatross from the Reno Air Races collection, or the Boeing F/A-18 Super Hornet or another military jet.

MULTIPLAYER SETTINGS

Please adhere to the following settings so you can see everyone / be seen by everyone.

Variable Setting
Server SE Asia
Multiplayer All Players
Live traffic As preferred
Weather Few Clouds
Time of Day Daytime

It is advised in this flight to turn off both aircraft collisions and terrain collisions. If you do crash, you can use “slew” mode to join the pack. If the pack will be too scattered before the first stop, we will use slew on a defined point to regroup.

COMMUNICATION

To communicate with others, a voice channel on the "Official Microsoft Flight Simulator Discord” at https://discord.gg/msfs will be available to join.

LET’S FLY

This is meant to be a fun and informal flight. Everybody is welcome, no matter the amount of experience.

8 Likes

I guess the line from one of the Mighty Ducks movies hold true:
“Greenland is covered with ice and Iceland is very nice”
It makes one wonder why the names.

Anyway took the f18 for this one, wasn’t my first choice, my first choice was the 747 (had to remove my one-line joke, turns out I was wrong about the type of plane)

But I couldn’t get it off the runway, guess I’m not that good yet, I then tried the Airbus and I got it off the runway but it acted strange.

The f18 I managed fine until it came to landing, I landed somewhere in the middle of a field, guess I was too close to the ground. Oh well, I wasn’t far from the airport anyway.

I know the next flight will also be long and I think like many I’ll be taking the hypersonic jet for that one. but who knows?

For those wishing to use SimBrief, here’s a pre-filled flight planning page using the current runway usage based on live weather.

2 Likes

Taking off from Nuuk was indeed a challenge with the relatively short runway and trees just behind it! My first attempt to take off I ended up in the trees and thus had to restart, so I arrived a couple of minutes later at Reykjavik.

3 Likes

4 Likes

Okay, I’ll be honest, I got bored, I rejoined Twitch and redid this flight… AutoPilot clearly doesn’t like the runway, or maybe it was thirsty