Official Discussion: August 26th, 2021 Development Update

Going on past updates probably not no…! But it’s still a valid query IMO

@Jummivana Please inform the Team developing the JU-52 That the props are also spinning in the wrong direction also! Just like the Six Cat from the Reno racers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hvwoDPoEL8

1 Like

make a zendesk report or something rather than spamming unrelated topics

1 Like

Trusted 3rd parties should have had direct access to the market place to update their stuff (and release new stuff) a loooong time ago.

The amount of strange decisions this devteam is making is staggering.

(Imagine Steam checking every mod uploaded on the workshop xD )

11 Likes

Cool video, BTW

You’d think the feedback on this forum would prompt a huge number of beta testers. You would think they would want to get it right instead of being bashed after every update. How are the same bugs they say are fixed still showing up? It’s obviously not thoroughly tested.

But they have been for a year :frowning:

“Between the idea
And the reality,
Between the motion
And the act,
Falls the shadow.”

-T.S. Eliot

3 Likes

Why wouldn’t beta testing make a difference? The point is you find and fix bugs before they enter the stable build. That’s why most other AAA games are almost perfect. Can you imagine GTA 6 releasing with the same amount of issues MSFS had/ has? That would mean a lot of pitchforks. :slight_smile:

Currently Asobo’s beta builds are more like early access releases, they let people test it and then they release it anyway without fixes. Most development teams release frequent fixes after a big update but Asobo’s team’s seem to be fully occupied on the long term roadmap without much room to fix unforseen issues in between the releases.

7 Likes

Probably, they will be available on next tuesday.

Absolutely this. I wonder if the maximum authority at Microsoft has any idea of what’s going on here.

Sorry, but you are cleary not a gamer and you didn’t followed the latest AAA game releases. :wink: … just remember the “flawless” and “great” launch of Cyberpunk 2077 for example :rofl:
And btw, the folks playing Cyberpunk need to wait longer as a month for an update and even longer for new content…
And this is just one singe example, if we go further back in time I rember Skyrim, Kingdome Come and many more with severe problems at lauch and even during their whole existance.

Don’t get me wrong here, MSFS does have bugs, but MS/Asobo are working on these providing monthly(!) updates with numerous fixes (and of course new content) and even provide hotfixes in the matter of days (SU5 Hotfix 1 and 2).
Please name me one big budget production which does have this level of support and this pace of delivering new interesting content.

And to be honest the issues are hitting (or are noticed by) only a few percent and even then they get adressed (look at the feedback snapshots) - now imagine other big publisher and what they will do :wink:

You see, it is not as dark as it may look. I am really confidet that MS/Asobo will fix all the issues.
I have alot of fun currently, flying my world tour in the DA40 TDI…

3 Likes

There have only been a couple of releases that are broken like Cyberpunk. You are just picking the rare bad example. Those got wide media attention because of it, like i said. Most big games are not released broken in my opinion. That’s why i used a Rockstar game as an example. Maybe i should have used another Microsoft title as an example. They normally don’t release titles with basic features missing or broken features. And they don’t release hit or miss updates either. So i think Microsoft should belong to the many good examples and until now they did good with all their other titles don’t you think?

And if you ask me, it’s only a minority that notices the issues, but everyone is having them. They maybe have no experience with flying planes, or are not very demanding because they just use external view, but the issues prevent realistic flight and are still here a year after release.

2 Likes

Thank you.
Cheers.

literaly entered “broken game releases” into google and I don’t know were to start :astonished: … so there are a lot of releases which ar completly broken, were in comparison MSFS is in a really majure state… :laughing:

I think MSFS is in a somewhat ambivalent state here. I am looking from a GA pilots point of view to the sim, mainly flying 2 or 4 seater IRL and in sim. These planes are usually quite good modeled and work just fine. The heavy iron however (and the more sofisticated avionics) is, as far as I can tell, indee suboptimal.
But I am not sure if it should be the task of the platform developer to provide sofisticated airliner or avionics models.

As I already stated before, I am very aware of the fact, that MSFS does have issues. But what I am trying to say is, that in my opinion it is not the task of MS/Asobo to fix the airliners. They should fix the more underlaying problems (CTDs, Weather, graphic issues, issues with addon interfaces, simconnect, G1000) - but they are aware of that, and are already working on fixing these issues. I think it is just a matter of time that all will work out.

A small example, the G1000: MS/Asobo never intended to ship a fully functional study level G1000, because they thought this belongs to the third party folks to deal with that. But it was very fast very clear that the comunity demand a decent G1000 as a nativ sim part. MS/Asobo aknwoledged this, brought WT on board and now they are working on a decent G1000 (and I think a G3000 too).

I am not sure if you reffering to me, but sorry man, I am not that young anymore :wink: … I also started gaming (and programming for that matter) around the time you started.
I think, because I have seen so many broken game releases, even back in the 80s and 90s, were no internet for a fast update was around, and for sure in last view years, as the developers got sloppier and sloppier, I built up a lot of patience. :sweat_smile:
And at the end of the day, this is hobby, not life threatening if it doesnt work (luckely for me it worked always fine for now - I had only minor issues so far).
If I am in the bad luck, staying grounded in MSFS due whatever reason, I just play something different and wait until the issue gets resolved. :man_shrugging:
And I think (my personal opinion) they are working on the known issues an trying to fix them as fast as possible.

I totally agree, i don’t care about default aircraft and i never used them in other flight sims anyway. I think the platform itself is important (features, weather, physics). And yes hopefully they will concentrate more on functionality now.

But still until now they mainly focused on visuals when i look at the things they added last year: Snow, rainbows, contrails, wakes/dust/snow particles. I can’t think of a lot of added features not related to visuals. ATC is more or less unchanged from what they ported over from FSX, they still didn’t add the replay feature, didn’t fix physics and ground handling.

Asobo does what it does best, develop games and work with their own graphics engine, and they seem to be slower with aviation related features. And the old FSX code they use probably looks like spaghetti to them as parts of it is over 30 years old. A big part of logic is still running on this old code and i can imagine it’s nearly impossible to take ownership of this code from ancient times.

1 Like

Yes indeed, undeniably there were a lot of graphic enhancements.

For ATC, as I am not completly wrong, they are working on a complete overhaul of the ATC system. In this point of view, it does not make sense to put resources on fixing the old ATC when it will be replaced anyway. The fair question is: when will this happen.
They are curretnly working on the replay system, I think it will also arrive in this year.
For the small GA aircraft I fly, I am quite satisfied with the flight physics and flight dynamics.

Yes, I think this is indeed very difficult for the developers. As I am also a developer, I know how difficult it is to take over code from someone else, even if you still can ask the original developer. In this case I am sure, it could be difficult to talk to the original developer.

Finding them is not the hard part because a couple of them started their own studio a couple of years ago i believe. But Microsoft shut down their studio so asking them for help now would be a difficult conversation. :joy:

Ah ok, i misunderstood it obviously :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Yes, in this case it seems indeed difficult :rofl:
I didn‘t know that they formed their own studio. But I also think that a lot of them are already retired if it comes to really old code parts.
It would be very interesting how many lines of code still date back to the Sublogic times :thinking: