Official Discussion: Game of the Year Edition

You might want to watch it again. We’ll see next month…

I believe his direct answer was: “I think they are talking about the 3D transparent thing in the cockpit. Yes!”… :rofl:

They already have a collimated HUD in the 787.

And it’s possible that even though the CEO doesn’t know what collimation is (maybe French speakers call it something else?), there are other developers who do know what it is.

Seb isn’t coding the whole thing himself, after all.

3 Likes

Just because it shifts visually doesn’t mean it’s actually collimated. Fly one of the several miljets and you’ll see the stock HUD display system fall flat when it’s being leveraged to try to display an accurate velocity vector.

I know @DEAN01973 is looking forward to whatever improvements the sim is bringing to the table to improve the HUDs in his F-14 and -15. A properly collimated HUD is exactly what’s needed.

3 Likes

I saw that as well… thinking it was the word “COLLIMATED” that was an issue in French, I even typed in

“hud collimaté” but that made no difference.

Did Jane really throw them an Unprepared for Question ? :+1:

I have to wonder if any of them GOOGLED it after the Q&A … ?

(I did, and learnt something from the Q&A !! )

1 Like

Fair, you wouldn’t expect a CEO or a project manager to understand every technical term, but that isn’t a collimated HUD in the 787.

This is a flight sim, though, so it might be a good idea to get someone on the stream who is knowledgeable about these things? Otherwise, this is an hour long infomercial with 15 minutes of Q&A tacked on at the end.

When I hear ‘glass cockpit with amazing flight model’ from someone who doesn’t understand HUD collimating I can’t help but think about the Eurofighter and Su-57.

2 Likes

Well, hopefully they just asked the person coding the HUD SDK…

Since the Xbox marketplace is dominated by fighter jets and we all know some cheap devs are going to copy paste the F18 HUD into a MIG 21 and try to sell it to us…

Just to clarify, as has been discussed in the HUD collimation Wishlist thread, if the HUD were properly collimated, all the symbology would be focused at infinity and appear as if projected on the outside world (at infinity). For example if one of those stars outside in the video were lined up with some part of the symbology, like say the upper corner of the airspeed tape on the left or the decimal point in “.860” Mach there, if you moved your head around, the star and the point in that symbology should stay together.

Here’s an example from Qualitywings’ YouTube channel showing what it looks like in their 787 (P3D), which is how the symbology should behave on the HUD (at 0:31 in, with another bit at 1:00 in):

As a side note, I’m wondering if HUD issues may be one of the reasons the QW787 is behind schedule for MSFS 2020…

4 Likes

Yes, you’re both correct - the 787 in MSFS doesn’t have a proper collimated HUD. I actually have the QW 787 and today I fired up P3D and checked it out (after ages!), and the difference is clear.

I never fly with the hud in MSFS and maybe this is why - I opened it a few times, it didn’t feel right, and I shut it down and didn’t touch it.

I agree that they should add this, but I do cut the CEO/COO some slack on this. I’ve worked for large companies (including Msft, as it happens), and it’s not uncommon for the senior execs to not know minute details - they spend their time on other things.

I disagree with the characterization made by some posters that Asobo is somehow incompetent because their (French-speaking) CEO/COO didn’t know a rather esoteric avionics term off the top of their heads.

I hope Asobo adds proper colllimation soon, or at least makes it possible for third-parties to do it properly.

6 Likes

It’s a larger issue than just live traffic, however. The places I was testing tonight, for the Eastern US server and at the times I was flying, should have been teeming with both live traffic and folks in Multi-Player.

So rather than a specific issue with, for example, the feed from FlightAware, I think the issue is more likely to be something to do with whatever servers and services Microsoft/Asobo are using to collect, aggregate and disseminate all the data and then inject it into the sim.

Yes, live traffic has never matched the real-world live traffic. I’ve measured this (by sitting at a busy airport and tracking flight with FlightAware open on my other monitor), and it really never goes much about 15-25% of real traffic. It seems to use a selection of what’s actually flying.

Edit - this behavior has been around since the sim launched, it’s not new after SU6.

Why isn’t it called Sim of the Year Edition?

1 Like

Have you tried YouTube?..there are a plethora of training videos for most of the MSFS Fleet…many of them are done very professionally as well.

My thought behind this, besides just the massive number of planes in the sky at any given moment being overwhelming to track real time, was that you would never be able to take off or land at any busy airport, as there would be nowhere to fit in. So, even real traffic has to be scaled back considerably.

1 Like

Yes, there’s bound to be a good reason somewhere, but it feels like another thing that needs the infamous “slider”! Let us increase real world traffic (maybe cap it to a max of 80% or something). Anything to make the airports feel more alive.

I got the impression that the new weather system they were talking about was not about having more cloud types etc… but mainly about a more frequent update and a better mix of the meteoblue and metar data. I.e. more accurate to the real weather in the area you are flying.

Maybe both

Thank you for the hard work, Asobo/ms and all other other parties involved. Just incredible what you guys are doing. You making many of us extremely happy.

2 Likes

Same i’m so hyped now

hi jane i have a question is this sim gonna be free in steam?

Yes. It was said 100 times. All free for Xbox, PC via Steam and Microsoft. It is basically an addition to the basic/default game.

2 Likes