Official Discussion: Hotfix 1.18.15.0

So I’ve been trying to play this most of the day and it’s massively unstable. They’ve absolutely wrecked it, it’s just been a string of problems and CTDs. There’s no point even trying to start a flight at the moment. What a mess.

2 Likes

Most of those CTDs are appearing since SU5, where Microsoft/Asobo have put more of the load on the GPU instead of the CPU. That means for me that power requirements of the GPUs have raised wiith SU5.

While that is fine advice, the issue arises that we shouldn’t have to do that for a fully priced game that some of us have paid even more for for deluxe versions. You’d figure things wouldn’t be released unfinished but here we are with them breaking things what seems like every single “update”.

I could also reproduce this at KSNA. I haven’t tried others (yet).

The checking for update screen isn’t normal?

Yeah it would bsod or restart for sure…had this issue at launch with an older psu

Are you sure you don’t already have it? If you’re launching the Sim only to be redirected to the Store, where no update can be seen, then you are sure, and this can’t apply to your problem.
The MS store can install core updates when neither the Store app nor the Sim are launched. I deferred SU5 for ten days while I upgraded my CPU and in order to watch the threads for tips and workarounds. When I finally launched Microsoft Store, the core component of SU5 had already been installed before I even upgraded the CPU.

I do not have MFS APP installed at all. Why should I?
I`m using the Boxed Version of MSFS. Pretty nice Old School. Maybe there is a problem with that install Version? But should be the same.

Can’t try the latest hotfix yet. By “dynamic lighting” do you mean the contrast between outside/inside the cockpit, making the cockpit darker when looking outside and viceversa?

Hello, I am not addressing you, but all the people who have the installation in the blind like me and who do not have the update.

To be honest, I don’t think that the sim is going to be rock solid for a long time yet.

New features are going to be added quite frequently and these run the risk of breaking other things which were previously running fine. I reckon because of this it is going to be a bit of a roller coaster for maybe a couple of years (?). I certainly think that ASOBO’s testing procedures should be improved. A lot of bugs are getting through which shouldn’t be.

Personally (thankfully), apart from a couple of CTDs/freezes i’ve not yet had too many issues which have rendered the sim unplayable.

Maybe i’ve been lucky I don’t know but if it was stressing me out I personally would just take a break from it. Life is too short. Hence my original comment :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Follow up to the follow up:

Installed G1000 NXi…No issues, working fine and thank you for all your efforts WT

Installed UAW Light Mods…issues…at night with landing lights on the effect is ‘blocky’ and appears and disappears randomly (almost like prop is cutting it out).

Now for the (possible) fix. I went to the User.Cfg and set Raytracing from 0 to 1…saved and closed. Restarted sim and lights look fantastic now.

As an added benefit this cleared up the color issues I was having, overexposure, high intensity colors, over saturated yellows. No matter what I did with the monitor and graphics card setting I could not get it right. With Raytracing on the brightness and saturation are back to ‘normal’. On top of that the color sliders for my card have the desired effect. Lighting and clouds are stunning again.

Now the downside for anyone choosing to do this. Setting Raytracing to 1 in .Cfg file has a BIG impact on FPS with my set up at least. It’s still playable but not nearly as smooth and consistent frames vs. 0 setting. Change at your own risk.

I don’t want RT off but need to tweak a few graphic settings to get some frames back. Shame, frames were silky smooth on my system with it turned off.

Then again, everything in life is about compromises.

FYI, got a Ryzen 9 5950 starring at me. Maybe I can get a few more frame from it. Store said they had 2 RTX 3070Ti’s ‘in stock’. Turned out the be a ‘Inventory error’. Who would have guessed? :wink:

Back to the grind.

Definitely agree. With hindsight being 20/20, if I knew what I know now, I wouldn’t have brought this product and I darn sure wouldn’t have got the deluxe version. I would have waited until version 2.0 or something. I love the game but hate the lack of testing, pushing out broken updates, and the overall lack of acknowledgement and communication until the community raises hell.

1 Like

In future ASOBO wouldn’t it be better to ask if the respondant was a PC or Xbox user, as in this instance some of your questions appear aimed at PC usage?

Current flight with the piaggio after windows update was awesome, no freeze no lag or stutters.
I hope that was the fix for the issue.

1 Like

And the initial load time from hitting the MSFS 2020 Button is still 20-30 Minutes.

If you don’t mind, can you tell me if that seems to have any affect on the consistency of the FPS?

I don’t have near the Chip or Card you have but was just wondering if you’d noticed. I tend to care more about the smoothness of the frames vs. the total score (as long as we are over 30 or 35 that is).

Thanks,

after this hotfix on W10+5600x+3060Ti+16Gb+Nvme, Ultra settings, no tweaks
a quick 1 hr test flight I flown from Belarus to Morocco (~5h30m).
Didn’t have CTD, what was introduced (for me) with the latest SU.
Temperature and the satellite image has been fixed, at FL370 I clearly seen the largest buildings, everything was sharp. The clouds (especially the stormy ones) are so pixelated like a few updates ago.
At landing smaller buildings/houses rendering was waaaaay to close (first two pics, made by only two seconds difference, while the large buildings were fine. Landed normally, headed back to main menu to check my profile, guess what?
CTD…well, I guess must be happy to survive the flight

1 Like

Thanks a million
And the clouds look okay to you, now??
Does your monitor support HDR??

Yup vr is completely destroyed at this point,the clarity is so bad now,I’m using a 3080 with a g2 and it used to be nice and sharp now it’s just blurred lol I’ll tell ya.