Official Discussion: January 27th, 2022 Development Update

Realistically it’s not possible for all updates to be exciting/blow your socks off ones.

It’s up to 3rd party developers (3PD) to decide what they want to develop rather than Microsoft. Right now it appears that 3PD are developing airports possibly because they’re perceived as being “easier” to produce rather than planes.

Those 3PD who have decided to produce planes may well be finding it more complex to produce a plane due to the changes from FSX/P3D. Equally the test process to be accepted for the marketplace is almost certainly more lengthy for planes than airports.

3 Likes

After all the complaints from folks here about half done updates, that cause endless issues, and so many posts stating don’t release it till its done, I am quite surprised at that response.

Is that really what you want?
How many times have you personally taken longer to do something than you planned?
On top of that add in sickness, I’m sure that has got to be affecting planning time as well.

4 Likes

You are spoiled. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: A P3D developer doesn’t even talk to users.

2 Likes

Point 1: I’m not sure what you mean by not well defined.
Point 2: That is in the plan, see item 13 in the bug list, scheduled for this year, and it’s not unique to Canada
Point 3: All bridges are that way, not just here in Canada (yes I’m Canadian, just further east of you)
Point 4: Not every spot in the world has perfect representation.
It is dependent on satellite photos, and cloud cover/atmospheric conditions when that satellite photo was taken. While Perce Rock is quite stunning (yes I’ve seen it), there are loads more areas in here that are similar.
I don’t believe this is anything anti Canada

2 Likes

They made it clear saying that “this is definitely a flight simulator”. This made me feel much better, as rumours were spreading that they were mainly interested in the Xbox platform leaving real simming behind. Wasn’t impressed with their answers on VR, but they did say great things are coming in next year. It’s truly a marvellous game in a marvellous time!

1 Like

Relax. It’s an entire week. You’ll survive.

2 Likes

We get it Melvin. You’re not happy with MSFS on Xbox. We’ve seen your responses.

1 Like

Majority of these new “simmers” seem to have zero understanding of how development works. It’s frustrating.

All of us want bugs fixed. All of us want new planes. It’s not just an Xbox issue. If you’re not happy with Xbox, get a PC I guess? But we all get it and complaining every 2 seconds isn’t going to make it appear.

3 Likes

In the next year? Or this year?

I’m happy with what I got - I am simply not satisfied with the level of care we get.

The sim is great and all that but improvements seem to only be prioritized for PC users.

I do believe that improving their SDK and enforcing devs to publish 80-90% of their content in the Marketplace would be fair.

I am in IT… So I understand development constraints. I am simply expecting devs to raise their game a little.

Are you sure these aren’t related to how aggressive NavCanada’s decommissioning schedule for VORs and NDBs has been the last few years?

1 Like

Yeah I saw this. And it kinda freaks me out each time. This seems like there would not be NDBs and/or VORs pretty soon to navigate. Quite scary to only rely on one system.

They’re going to concentrate on VR toward end of this year with their team of 6 VR people. And said they’re hoping for a huge VR thing happening that’s very exciting in 2023. They were very vague on VR, but said to be patient.

The sim is in a fab state as it is. Take all the time you need for upcoming sim updates.

Agree… how lucky are we MS decided to continue developing the longest running sim/game franchise ever! We were all surprised by the announcement a few years back. We could all still be playing FSX, X-Plane and Prepar3D while sadly wondering if there will ever be another MSFS in our future. Definitely a dream come true for many!

7 Likes

And it is a BIG world.

1 Like

That‘s a prime example why software engineers hate to give exact release dates (which in most cases are „dictated“ by marketing/management in the end anyway ;)):

• You give the most sincere and accurate answer „when it‘s done!“ and clients get nervous
  • You give an exact date and communicate way in advance that you are going to move it by N days/weeks (based on internal evidence/planning/experience with past releases) and people tell you that you are not trying hard enough (like in this example)
  • You try really hard and know that people will blame you if you dare to move the - completely arbitrary chosen - date by just N days, but ultimately you fail and need to communicate to the clients just shortly before (or even on) the release date about the delay. And people will blame you why you hadn‘t communicated earlier!
  • You actually manage to release on the original release date - and no one seems to notice, because no one really cared to remember that date or read the release notes
  • You even finish earlier and release - and people will blame you why you didn‘t test the „tree height in front of runway 22 of local airport Bumsfield“ in the remaining days!

A very unthankful job, estimating release dates (also for management) :wink:

14 Likes

I’m greedy – I want it all (good weather, good aircraft modeling, great graphics, VR, et cetera, et cetera).

But I’m also realistic that certain things will be prioritized based on crowd demand, and things that I want may be a bit lower on the list. I continue to be amazed that MS continues to work diligently on this product, with no end in sight!

With that said, my biggest need is multi-screen (it would make a huge difference in the immersiveness of the product). While high on the request list, the Asobo team has been very coy about what’s going on here. Would it be too much to ask that we get a bit of a deep-dive into what they’re working on here, some of the challenges they are working on, a little more specificity as to when they think they will have a release (or are they thinking of ‘multiple’ releases like with some of their offerings)? The biggest hint I heard at Wednesday’s update video meeting was that this was likely tied to a DX12 release. I know a bunch of folks in the ‘hardcore’ simulator community are holding off on MSFS until there is mutli-screen. I’m not one of them, but this would be the single biggest improvement to my experience to get this. Any chance of a more detailed update?

Did you see this post?

If you look into the Feedback Snapshot, it is #4 on the list.
They also have a small update on it’s status as well in there, as well as its scheduled release date.

It’s clear that whatever you do, people are always going to complain and not everyone will ever like the methodology you use. In my case it’s the frustration you get when you read that a release has been delayed, whether it’s by a few days or a week or however long they need. The problem is the hype they generate, the marketing. because I think they are not sufficiently coordinated departments and it is not just this time, it has happened on many occasions. In the end they frustrate the customer.