Official Discussion: Reno Air Racing

I’m looking forwards to this, should be fun… hope to hear a lot more details in the Q&A

No issues with it being paid for DLC, at 20 bucks it’s less than a good third party aircraft… 60 is certainly more eyebrow raising but it seems like it goes beyond extra liveries and actually drives down into individual aircraft differences - again hope to hear more specifically to see whether the extra money is entirely worthwhile.

It would be great to see some screenshots of the four planes that are included in the $20 pack. I’m especially interested in their cockpit layout.

2 Likes

How is air racing going to work with all the current issues that exist with multiplayer? There are so many glitches including 1) multiplayer aircraft being invisible 2) popping in and out randomly 3) “jumping” a few hundred feet at a time 4) not showing the correct skin for the other aircraft?

Should we expect this to all be fixed by SU7?

1 Like

During the last QA they explicitly mentioned they would make updates to the core sim in this area, such that air racing will be a pleasant experience. Of course the proof of the pudding is in the eating …

How can we get our plane into this or a future “Reno” pack? I represent the owner of one of the race teams that participated this year and numerous years in the past.

1 Like

Update on Xbox Live Gold:

· On XBOX : Xbox Live Gold

· On PC : Nothing is needed

Tune into this morning’s dev Q&A stream for answers to a lot of these Reno question! Twitch 2021-10-20T17:30:00Z

3 Likes

Email Jorg I would suggest, or contact @Jummivana who I’m sure can direct you to the right place.

I thought maybe the 20 dollar package is good enough. But then there’s Strega. And Voodoo. And I’d love that P-51A! Oh ■■■■, another 40 bucks isn’t going to keep me from paying the mortgage. Take my money!

1 Like

Oh…and if I pick up the Flying Iron P-38, will I able to fly the Red Bull Lightning at Reno?

Some quick notes from today’s Dev Q&A, please let me know if I got anything wrong

Reno Air Races

• everything officially licensed

• a lot of the aircraft were 3d scanned

• collaborated with pilots and owners of the aircraft

• in development for 2 years

• collaborated with Michael Johnson (Lotus Simulations, L-39) and Scott Gentile (A2A Simulations, P-51)

• collaborated with BlueMesh and Orbx on a few models

• wake turbulence effects ground, will kick up dust and dirt

• G Effects (redout and blackout)

• Race announcers that you can hear via speakers around the airport

• Each aircraft has unique performance specs, when you race other players or participate in the time-trial, all aircraft performance is the same

• Useable in free flight, not restricted to racing

• Aircraft are visible in multiplayer free flight even if you do not own the Reno DLC

• no AI aircraft, only Time Trial for single player

• private matchmaking and customized race features hopefully to follow a few months after release

• upgrade path if you want to buy individual aircraft or certain aircraft bundles

• exhaust effects, eg, smoke on startup

5 Likes

Not the PC-6, a PC-6 :stuck_out_tongue:

there’s the MilViz that’s already out, the Asobo that’s coming with the update and the FSG version that’s got the worst luck :wink:

Also, with this update, there will be 3 Zurich Airports as well :wink: FSDT, Gaya incoming and ( IDK since Gaya does a lot of the “hand crafted” airports for MSFS )

@Jummivana

I guess for the Reno beta test comming up, people will get access to the DLC’s planes for free? (and then lose them afterward unless they buy them in the store when they’ll be available)

1 Like

If you sign up for the Reno testing tomorrow, you will have access to Reno Air Racing for the duration of the test, which I believe is just through this weekend.

2 Likes

Already asked above - but this is important to clarify - Is the difference in the 2 packs only the planes? Or are there other features that aren’t included in the starter pack?

Also, Does the Reno Stead airport scenery come for everyone ( base game ) regardless of whether you buy either of the Air Race bundles? Or is Reno Stead only updated if you buy one of the Air Race packs?

( and would there be a “non-festival” version of KRTS - with the improved geo, but not the stands and static aircraft? )

Really impressed with the interview presentation today as well. This sounds like it’ll be a lot of fun.

Opportunity for Improvement:

Edit: Another opportunity:

1 Like

“ * Each aircraft has unique performance specs, when you race other players or participate in the time-trial, all aircraft performance is the same”

So you’ll only experience performance variations when flying solo in the open world? What’s the point of that?

1 Like

Do we get all those aircrafts, in the near future ???

So, this was very confusing in the Q&A. Jorg said “Windows with Gold & Silver can fully participate and Steam with Gold or Silver can fully participate”. Did he misspeak, or did he really confirm that this Multiplayer mode requires an additional subscription for people who don’t even own an Xbox? This is a deal breaker for me. I don’t own an Xbox, and never will, and have ZERO interest in signing up for an Xbox-related subscription package for this. Wow, what an absolute buzzkill. This was at 45 minutes in to the Q&A on Twitch.

Where can I watch the stream? The twitch channel MSOfficial has all videos disabled.

You have to have an Xbox/MS account to play MSFS so this doesn’t impact you at all. What he means by silver is the free Xbox/MS account that you already have.