Official Discussion: September 16th, 2021 Development Update

I thought perhaps there was some indication what they considered needed a fix. Cryptic as ever.

So did I, with my Disc version.

1 Like

From last week’s Development Update Blog:

1 Like

I can add another tip, that is clear your cache, before or after the update, but before your first flight. Rolling and manual cache may contain incompatible data, check out this opening.

1 Like

I was wondering if the long range quality fix about night lighting is expected to solve the issue of sepia mask that is visible at hight altitudes?

Yes, I think that is at least part of it - that one has been around for a long time

I really hope so! :slight_smile:

All these complaints about the lighting at night lol. Yeah it’s bad but
 Freezing/disappearing mouse? Nobody? ■■■■■■ sake I feel like I’m the only one

1 Like

Ah I see. Thank you! Gives a good overview of what to expect.

No date for fixing the Bush Trips.

This does not work for xboxes due to the impossibility of implementation.

I’m not sure they have any interest in actually fixing the bush trips at all. They broke way back in SU5 and it’s been complete radio silence on them from MS/Asobo ever since. They even released new bush trips in WU6 despite the underlying feature still being reasonably broken. What are they actually thinking?

5 Likes

No, you are not alone in this, I have disappearing mouse pointer every time I use it in cockpit.

-eelis-

3 Likes

Absolutely correct.

Quick question please. I use IVAO and Navigraph. Does anyone know if it’s going to be possible use them after the hotfix?
IVAO software is not even inside the community folder. It’s on the parent folder. Should I remove IVAO software too?

Well, I can answer for Navigraph - remove it using the NavData NavCenter program. Do not manually remove the folders - that will corrupt the state of your sim installation’s Navdata. It’s easy enough to reinstall after you confirmed the hotfix installed correctly.

2 Likes

Isn’t it fun to have to hit esc and resume every time this happens? I’m surprised there isn’t more about this

1 Like

Does this help at all? May not be the issue you are having - sorry

Here is a list of suggested hints and tips for updating that was put together for WU6. Might be usefultfor those less familiar with the process:

BEFORE the update do the following:

1. Ensure you’ve undone any modifications to your config file, and especially make sure it is not set to read only - and especially make sure the file location at the bottom of the file matches where your MSFS installation is (where the “Official” folder is)
  2. Make sure you’ve set your internet bandwidth in the sim to “unlimited” to avoid file looping during the install
  3. Uninstall Navigraph beta data using the Navigraph uninstaller to avoid sim nav data problems - DO NOT just move or delete the Navigraph data folder in your community folder - moving it back CAN cause problems, so an uninstall/reinstall is needed (and very quick to do)
  4. Empty your community folder using any of the possible methods including:
  • Moving everything to somewhere else (cut/paste)
  • Renaming the folder temporarily (a new one is created automatically if “community” doesn’t exist)
  • Using an add on linker (such as here - other add-on linkers are available) - probably by far the easiest way if you have large numbers of add-ons
  1. Make any back ups of settings etc in the C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache you feel necessary (see post above for more details on backups)

DURING the update

1. If the installer tells you it needs to download the whole sim (125Gb+) make sure that the installer has found the correct path to where your sim files are stored - if not, make sure you change that path before you click update - if you do this, it should then scan the path with the correct files and only download the ones it actually needs by way of update. This can happen if the file path in your config.opt file (right at the bottom of the file) isn’t correct - maybe something messed up from step 1 in the “before update” list above or somethign random

AFTER the update but BEFORE flying:

1. Delete your rolling cache if you use it
  2. Check the Content Manager for any additional packages that must be downloaded or updated
  3. Because this is a world update, check the Marketplace for the new free World Update content - dson’t forget this - or you won’t see the new content!
  4. Check all settings in the sim - especially data settings (can be switched to offline) and graphics settings (can be reset to medium) as well as rolling cache has been known to turn on if you have it off)
  5. A sim restart (and indeed a full PC reboot) are also recommended good practice before actually flying

AFTER Flying

1. Once you are sure the sim is working “clean” you can add back your community folder stuff (reverse the process you used above)
  2. If you then have problems/CTDs/lock ups etc, at least you know that it is most likely down to some conflict with the stuff in your community folder
  3. If the sim is CTD etc even with an empty community folder, conflicts have also been known to happen with 3rd party marketplace purchases - so an extra troubleshooting step would be to remove those from the Content Manager and see if the issues are resolved before zendesking the problem

Additional notes:

• AFC_Bridge, Aerosoft-CRJ, PMDG DC-6, lorbusi-content-hooks are believed safe to “just move/remove” from the community folder and can be simply put back [but obviously they won’t work until you put them back]
  • At the time of release, the servers will be VERY busy - you may be better to wait a few hours before attempting to download if the update is very big (World Updates tend to be 10-20Gb or even more) and you have a generally slow internet connection (or even a fast one
it doesn’t always help :grin: )
5 Likes

That analogy just doesn’t hold water. Most countries, or states within have rules or laws that offer the buyer protection from faulty goods or goods that were misrepresented at time of purchase. The MSFS Marketplace is only a ‘Marketplace’ in name. In reality it is the official store and repository of goods sold and sometimes offered for free to the purchasers of MSFS2020 and exercises some level of control over what is allowed to be offered in it. If it was a true ‘Street Marketplace’, the consumer would be allowed to haggle with the seller over prices or even barter or trade goods, which of course is not the case and probably shouldn’t be.

I think all we are asking is that whoever is evaluating the items offered on the Marketplace develop some method to ensure that the items meet or exceed a standard in line with the standard of the game, and have a working process that offers the consumer some reasonable recourse if the goods are bad or not as represented.

1 Like