[Official Discussion] Top Gun: Maverick DLC

is it possible, and how long would it take, to fly from Phoenix, Az to Tucson, AZ at Mach 10?

If you’re already at speed (and at altitude), at mach 10 you would be going around 7000 statute miles per hour (at ~110,000 feet MSL); the straight-line distance between for example KPHX and KDMA or KTUS is maybe about 115 statute miles, so you’d cross that distance in about a minute.

On the other hand, if you mean take off from a Phoenix area airport and land in Tucson, without going into a bunch of flight planning I’d probably say that you’d probably barely start the part of the initial climb and acceleration before you have to get ready to land. In my flying (for the Navy, many years ago now) in real life, we generally started getting ATIS about 100 nm out and then expected to switch to approach frequency and start setting up for the approach procedure maybe 50-70 nm out.

2 Likes

It’s just like flying the SR-71 Blackbird: At subsonic speeds the thrust-to-weight ratio is paltry, so to get the plane through the sound barrier you have to climb to 40,000 feet and then nudge it over in a dive to get it past Mach 1.

Once you’re supersonic, the jet engines will generate far more thrust and you’ll be climbing out at Mach 3 easily enough.

1 Like

The deathstar if fun to play around with, I haven’t landed it yet, but it is fun crashing a million times.

4 Likes

Can i post a pic when i had a hop in an F-14, 25 ish years ago?

1 Like

Why would anyone expect that… this is not DCS :joy:

Always so kind!

Oh I wish I could today, but my wonderful wife is home today/tonight so it’s all reading/listening to books today.

For real. :smirk:

I did get like 3 minutes with it though while she was in the other room. :smiling_imp:
Just enough to get some nice vapor cones going over the lake.

2 Likes

There is a Discord Channel on the MSFS server for real world discussion. The board is for the sim only. Thanks.

Very disappointed.

Carrier is only a challenge? really?

No catapults?

The landing challenges doesn’t even have TACAN / ILS

No F-14

All my hopes now are for third party devs like this:

4 Likes

High altitude Mach run was fun!!!

2 Likes

F-18 Service Buddies pilot character mod » Microsoft Flight Simulator. For those who want a Maverick pilot model.

Here is how you nail the low level flying https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLE49BCFB17C70CC77
Amazing Extreme Low Flying F/A-18 Hornet - YouTube

Where else can you strap on a pair of scramjets? Thank you Asobo and Microsoft. Took me three tries to get her up, but so much fun. The sound alone. lol

13 Likes

Found it, in the community folder. It was the an older version of the workingtitle g3000 mod, upgraded to v0.7.7 and works fine.

Thanks this was great instructions … don’t need the inverted flight to reach Mach 3 but do to get the mission instructions

quoted from above
Take off with full throttle + afterburner (I don’t even touch the throttle afterwards to be honest)
Climb at 10 degrees up to around 30-35000 ft

Slowly push the nose down to -20 degrees and start descending down to about 20000 ft

Very slowly raise the nose and climb at 10 degrees again

The aircraft should have no problem reaching Mach 3 (the higher you climb the faster the Mach will go up)

At Mach 3, turn the scramjet batteries on and enable the scramjet. It will spool up, kick in and kick the vehicle out into oblivion (the regular turbines will stop working above 50,000 ft)

this all worked out … now I’m at 40,000 ft descending and have no direction to cape canaveral ??
so
I had to restart and do the inverted flying to get the next directions to canaveral …
success … landed 1AM

a couple of fun hours today … thanks

2 Likes

During the first transition make sure you go down longer after the roll out. Gaining speed is all it takes. Then follow the promts to flip switches and activate scram.

3 Likes

I grilled a panini on that quartz windshield and it was not bad.

12 Likes

Yeah, I just realized that. I really wanted that helmet with normal gameplay. Just that…

I hit mach 9.5+ on this thing yesterday. Was absolutely delirious! What an experience. Never seen or felt anything like this in a flight sim. Wow…

Thanks Asobo!!! :grinning::heart:

5 Likes

This writing on the screen won’t disappear! Major glitch

2 Likes

It was awesome for me man … One of the smoothest landings I’ve done to date!