One of the best IFR training add-ons for MSFS 2020

In IFR flight, theoretically we can’t see anything visually outside of the plane. Therefore we “only” have to rely on the flight instruments. And when we say “only”, that means, in a real flight, our body sends us various signals that can mislead us about our real position.

Because we don’t get any body signals on the ground, IFR training without motion simulators is the best way to rely completely on flight instruments.

FS ****** - IFR MSFS is one of the best IFR training tools I’ve tried so far.

With this program you can try and learn an IFR simulation that is real for beginners, a challenge.

After 1 hour of the simplest flight training with only instruments, and without visual contact with the outside, you will be under mental stress that afterwards, a VFR flight, looks like a children’s game!

if you want to start this training, be sure that you are not tired and that you have enough time and nerves! :slight_smile:

Farhad Mashregh-Zamini
Flight Instructor

After my post got hidden:
Is my post an advertising ?! That’s why it became hidden. This is a post that shows the good and useful side of MSFS2020. If I criticize the weak side of MSFS2020, my post is deleted. When I show good and useful side of MSFS2020, my post becomes hidden! Please tell me how can i talk about a good and useful product for MSFS2020 without naming it?!

In this forum, nobody writes about planes and sceneries from other companies? Are they advertising too?

Be sure that I do not know the FS ******* company and do not work for this company! :slight_smile: Or do you want people like me to leave here forever so that you can talk about very vital and important topics, such as “please remove press any key to continue”?! :slight_smile:

13 Likes

why is your post getting censored?

if anyone with a high rank flags his post, it gets censored. Or at least that is what I understand.

1 Like

training IFR in MSFS? it’s a no go for me. Maybe the tool IFR for MSFS is cool, but the game is not yet.
It just doesn’t work reliably, I cannot trust in it. I don’t like using glass cockpit planes for training. The only plane with VOR-DME is in the deluxe ultra premium version (the 172). The 152 does not come with DME (I know, I could go archaic and calculate distance based on times to VOR radials blah blah blah, not practical for training IFR).

That said, I understand your POV and I respect that

2 Likes

100% Agree – The C172 Classic (Steam gauges) is the best MSFS Aircraft to being your IFR Training on.

Shame it is one of Premium Aircraft - for 2 reasons

(1) It cost extra
(2) It cannot be Modded (as it is encoded) which is currently by far the biggest problem

3 Likes

Where is the DME readout in the C172? Is it in the GPS?
Thanks.

I’m sending you a picture that shows how you can setup and use DME. And that has nothing to do with GPS.

In the 172 you can read the DME on the GPS or moving the freq button (not sure if that is the name), on the VOR/DME digital instrument. It has 1 button that moves to the sides, that one. Of course, the 172 that is behind the paywall.

1 Like

I incorporated MSFS in my curriculum on a regular basis. No, it wasn’t completely accurate but it did teach cockpit management instrument priority sweeps.

2 Likes

Well, that is up to you sir. Personally I cannot trust in this game yet. Everything that happens in the cockpit I suspect is a bug, you know what I mean.

1 Like

Sorry, I should have been clear. I was referring to the C172 non G1000 version. For VOR DME approaches, the DME readout will be on a separate panel, above the panel where you set the ADF frequency. I have some old plates and practice NDB approaches also. If I remember correctly, FS2002 had the DME.

Using a home sim to practice real IFR is just about procedures. You can not mimic the stress and angst that can occur if you get behind the plane on a real instrument flight. It’s just advanced ‘chair flying’ that will get you acclimated to charts, approaches and procedures of the various stages of flight that may help you from getting behind.

In general, being a really good MSFS pilot just means you’re good at flying video games.

1 Like

Hi.
Of course, we cannot compare real IFR procedure with IFR flying with home Flight Simulator. The false signals the body gets in real IFR cannot be simulated and must be experimented in a real airplane.
But in a home Flight Simulator, we can learn the basics of instruments and their function well. In a real flight that costs a lot of money and time and effort.

2 Likes

■■■■ teenage angst…

2 Likes

:slight_smile: No Problem. As a pilot, we always have to be precise in words and actions!

You’re right. In old FSs we had a lot of things that we can’t see in new versions.

I’ve heard experienced flight instructors say that simulator time (yes home fs “games”) really do help with proficiency for new pilots they are training. NOT a substitute for real air time but an enhancement for it.

That said you can do distance (sort of?) in the 152 dual VOR by setting each to a different VOR station. The full technique is a little more than I care to explain here. Simplified::
You can get on the heading for one VOR, and choose a radial from the other that crosses your heading. In other words, you use a chart to pick a radial that crosses your heading at a point you choose. When your second VOR centers, you are at that point and can deternine distances from that. Do it twice , time it, and you have ground speed.

Not perfect for sure, but I believe learning and practicing techniques like this in msfs WILL help you become a better real world pilot.

Spatial disorientation is just one aspect of IFR flying, it’s one of the first things demonstrated and then becomes very minor outside of a ‘trust your instruments’ learning point. I would caution anyone interested in obtaining their actual instrument rating from starting their training in MSFS or any game. Your bound to pick up some bad habits without the remediation of an actual CFII or whatever they call them in your neck of the woods.

Hi. I totally agree with you. I had the same experience myself.

1 Like

What does “Starting” mean?
As Student Pilot, I want to know what the Bracketing a Magnetic Bearing or VOR Radial looks like and how we have to do it.
I want to know what marker beacons are and how important are and how they work in an ILS approach.
I would like to learn to make DME Arc and know what changes to see in my CDI.
And in larger aircraft, I want to know how to use the FMC in flight without sight, and how it works, and a thousand other elements that I have to learn and use deeply for a successful IFR flight.

Home Flight Simulators can help a student pilot a lot, like a book, like a calculator, like a video, like a flight computer … and all of these must be used properly in order to be useful in a real airplane.

2 Likes

I have about 260 real-world hours and have now done everything through my private and up to and including all required hours* for my IR checkride.

I used home simulators - primarily X-Plane - throughout my training. For instrument, I used Pilotedge.

If there were any bad habits I picked up, it was, initially, keeping my head inside the cockpit too much in my initial VR training, having been used to watching the panel in Flight Simulator.

However, it was quickly corrected.

Home simulators can’t let you feel the forces of flight, but can certainly train you to fly properly; after being initially pretty concerned about crosswind landings, I fired up X-Plane and did about 50 of them in varying conditions. Needless to say, I learned how to do it in my real-world training aircraft via a home simulator.

For instrument, it’s been invaluable. Unfortunately, for the equipment I need (Garmin 530/430), FS is currently inadequate, and the Nav database doesn’t include a number of approaches I typically would fly.

*Aircraft in the shop for 4 months just as I was ready to take a checkride… then C19… no way I’m ready to get back into a cockpit with someone. Masks don’t help there. So, simming it is. Luckily I am able to continue to replicate / reinforce real-world procedures.

For those interested in flying “by the book”, it’s worthwhile using the “actual” books from the FAA as reference.

3 Likes