OpenXR Toolkit (upscaling, world scale, hand tracking...) - Release thread

So, while banging my head against the wall with Toolkit settings, restoring defaults, etc, I finally disabled using the “Disable the OpenXR Toolkit” checkbox in v1.1.3. The wobble I see on my instruments and sometimes in the menus is still there (when I have Motion Reprojection set to “Always” in the OpenXR Tools for Windows Mixed Reality application). I assume I don’t need to fully un-install the OpenXR toolkit and the “Disable” option is sufficient for debugging.

So, it seems Toolkit settings are not responsible. What are the suggestions in this case? Are we now in display driver territory? Some issue with the OpenXR Tools for Windows Mixed Reality application? Some odd hardware or connectivity issue with my G2?

MR Will still wobble badly outside of the toolkit.

Wobble is the best way to describe both issues but they are different. When I see the MR wobble you’re talking about it’s because the sim isn’t locking to a specific frame rate, it’s bouncing up and down. Sometimes a task manager tweak of the flight sim process from normal to high or back to normal will fix it but when you change views to external the wobble returns.

This boils down to the settings being too high.

Try the Cessna 152 in a remote location and MR will probably work well. Try it in a complex airliner at a bigger airport and it will struggle.

Thanks. I was actually in the C172 G1000 at a rather small out-of-the-way GA airport with instruments off just sitting in a parking space. I guess I would need to turn down settings quite a bit. I can only get good non-MR frame-rates when using the OpenXR Toolkit to drop render scale to 85%. Without the OpenXR toolkit running and without having the lower render scaling, I can see the frame rate is low even without MR. My GPU is completely pegged (AMD RX 6800XT) in that case @ 100% render scale.

I am in OpenXr at 90% render and MR always activated, in Toolkit menu FSR 90% and 100%, quality/Wide, MR in default and in SR at -50%, and I do not watch wobbling the most of time.

As far as wobbling with MR goes i will stress that if you lower your settings/res far enough to be able to run at 1/2 (45fps) reprojection, you will notice that there is no wobbling. As soon as you go lower reprojection ratios, the problem will appear. I’ve also noticed some pointing out that this does not happen under windows 10.

I am in G2 60Hz 30fps, no wobbling almost, in the exterior view moving fast the view mostly.

60Hz for smooth better than 90Hz.

Hello, I have such an idea … is it possible to enrich the toolkit with the function of viewing the real world using tracking cameras? it could be turned on with some fixed button … this is one of the things that are in the first place on us who use VR and would like to use panels or modules, e.g. for autopilot or any other. At the moment we are doing it blindly in the dark … I know that you can force the image from these cameras - it is black and white, and that would be enough. Could you force the image to be full image, or for example split it in half with VR? … for start it could be full imagal for VR / REAL switching … are you able to write an overlay to make it work?
brds

I think you can use the WMR “Flashlight” already. That should work OK.

There is no standard OpenXR way today to do passthrough, so any solution would be a per-headset solution.

there is no way to include this in the toolkit? that would be very useful …

It’s an OS feature not exposed through OpenXR. I’ve been working on a way to support passthrough in OpenXR on WMR but I just haven’t had enough time to finish it. But then I’m going to have all the Oculus/Varjo users not happy that I don’t support it for them…

2 Likes

oculus also has tracing cameras … so there is a chance that you will manage to finish it? recently you did something that is only for Aero … - eye tracking … so … :slight_smile:

It’s the summer. I also want to spend time with my family and friends :wink:

And no I would only do this for WMR. These are very complex things to implement outside of OpenXR.

9 Likes

I just say “torch on” and I can see my desk. Well, when WMR wants to play nice with voice control, which is not guaranteed.

It is even better the new official OpenXr update of yesterday? with less wobbling with MR?, I think now I do not have even in the circle exterior view and moving fast, where there is sure still it is in the blades of helicopters, maybe the worst of the wobbling, I forgot to mention it in the other post.

wow, can you describe how to set it up?
How to assign this function to any key?
brds

When you go through the set up of the G2 headset at the cliff house, learning to use controllers and stuff, you are given the option of trying out voice recognition. For me, using Australian English, the command to turn the flashlight on and off was Torch on and Torch off. That was it. Trouble is, it’s very hit or miss if voice commands work or not, lots of others have had the same issue. Sometimes it works and, for no reason I can discern, sometimes it just doesn’t.

There is also the option of using Voice Attack software to do the same thing, but I could never get it to install properly on my system

As for assigning this function to any key, I don’t know as as haven’t tried it. Have a look and see if Voice Attack is right for you. Just google it for the homepage, they have a free trial.

1 Like

if a (1) word does not work properly in voice recognition you ‘voice add’ that word in the vocabulary, in Windows or VA (that uses Windows voice recognition)

is it possible to wish for an option in OpenXR Toolkit? Before every boot, I have to edit my cfg and set ColorGrading to 0. Problem is that I dont remember to do it… Sim is far to bright always, so I always want this off. I always use OpenXR TK, so maybe an option there could set this automatically :smiley:

You don’t need a toolkit option for that. Just set your cfg file the way you want it then you set the file’s property to read only so that the game doesn’t overwrite your preference.

We are certainly not going to start writing onto game files. This is the best way to create a real real mess with users (why is my game corrupted, why are my settings changing themselves).

You could do that with a batch script or something that will write to the file. You’d then run the game through this batch script. As @ExeRay mentioned you should also try the write-protect.

3 Likes