OpenXR Toolkit (upscaling, world scale, hand tracking...) - Release thread

Dude thanks so much!

I’m going to try it out now and let you know how I get on.

1 Like

What is this zoom and how does it compare to VR focus?

It’s already in OpenXR tool kit under the system tab, adjust it there and you can see what it does.

The above script worked perfectly to activate it on the fly! Essentially instead like with VR focus where your head flies across the cockpit towards whatever you’re looking at, it simply gives you bionic eyes and allows you to zoom in and essentially put on a pair of binoculars to read whatever you need to inside the cockpit. I backed the setting off to 1.4 rather than 2 and I found it perfect :+1:t2:

Thanks for the help!

2 Likes

Hello, do we know the changes with the last version 1.1.4 please? Thank you

See 8 messages above:

1 Like

Hello Mbucchia,
can you tell us what changes we can count on in Open xr Tools for WMR, in Openxr for wmr, and MRP? I mean these applications in the Microsoft store … You supposedly work in the team that is responsible for this. I noticed that the update to these applications is very sporadic every 2 months or later …
brds
Martin

The OpenXR stuff is all explained there: OpenXR for Windows Mixed Reality - Release FAQ - Virtual Reality (VR) / General - Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums

I can’t speak for MRP since I don’t work on that team.

Speaking of that though, there will be a new Preview runtime 111 in the store later this week.

It’s mostly targeted at developers, so nothing that should be noticeable in Flight Simulator 2020, at least not before SU10 and a few bug fixes targeted at SU10 support and DX12.

There are 2 changes affecting OpenXR Toolkit though:

• Fixed the root cause of the menu issue that was present in 1.1.2 (but worked around in 1.1.4 anyway, so no visible difference for you)
  • Fixed the “smudge” issue with Motion Reprojection when using a reduced FOV (reported here)
2 Likes

Hello, thnak you,
I read you but as I’m stranger don’t really understand the meaning, do I have to wait runtime 111 for the fixed of the menu in WMR our is it anyway fixed with 1.1.4 work around?

And about the FPS drop since 1.1.2?

Thank you.

Regards,

FM

The fix for the menu was in 1.1.3. The performance drop you are seeing in 1.1.2 is likely due to HAGS being turned on on your system.

Will we ever be able to use hags again may well go back to 1.1 with a 3090 find hags works best. Great software though.

I’ve a 3090 and I can confirm that the game runs better with HAGS ON. Not by a lot, a few FPS better, but in VR, this is like gold. :slight_smile:

There is 0 I can do about HAGS. This is an issue well beyond OpenXR it appears. Either DirectX or Nvidia. I’m going to contact our DirectX team next week about it.

The new thing in 1.1.2 was to use a quad layer (2D rendering) to display the menu. This solved tons of problems, certain headsets like Pimax having menu issues since Day 1, and also several OpenComposite games having issues. This is not a change I can revert. The performance issue is happening when submitting the quad layer, well below OpenXR Toolkit and even OpenXR for WMR.

3 Likes

@mbucchia I might have just figured out the wobble issue…

I think the problems scales in intensity with the % of shaking reduction applied.

Set it to -100% and you get the wobbles.
Set it to 0% and the problem is practically gone.

Hope that helps. Sorry if it’s already known.

3 Likes

This makes sense. When using the shaking reduction, you’re intentionally asking to reduce the amount of motion prediction. But when using motion reprojection, you’re effectively increasing the amount of latency for (re)using the rendered frame. Reduced prediction + increased latency = larger prediction error, leading to overcorrection, hence wobble.

1 Like

Seems like we just discovered the same thing. At least we know what causes it now. :grin:

I mentioned this before on one of pie in the sky tours video on YouTube. every time I raise Shake Reduction I’ll get wobbles and shutters, leave it at 0% no issues at all.

I will say only use it if needed. It helped certain users with oversensitivity of tracking, but it can indeed create disastrous results too.

So for everyone reading make changes to your system/versions/settings incrementally. This will be easier for everyone to identify regressions. Have an issue? Try disabling OpenXR Toolkit. Did it help? Try re-enable it in Safe mode and re-create your settings one at a time.

1 Like

Thanks will keep using 1.1 as on a g2 and works well as long as i can appreciate you have had to make the changes to support more headsets

Curious, reading the posts about the Shaking Reduction and Motion Reprojection, I always had the first in -50% for to eat well and to jaw if I want like an animal of the underworld. I did a test now and… at -100% I have more wobbles, and at 0% I have more wobbles too with MR on than in SR -50%, I think I remember I did VR restarts in between, just in case if it was needed, so, weird?

Maybe there are other setting with less wobbles?, I almost don´t have wobbles with -50%, VR and MR is better than never.