OpenXR Toolkit (upscaling, world scale, hand tracking...) - Release thread

Thanks for reporting. At this point, fixing this issue is going to take several hours of work, so I don’t have a quick answer :slight_smile:

It’s not just including the in-game render scale in calculations, it’s actually way more complicated than that :slight_smile: and has to do with the way we intercept the game’s call to prepare for rendering.

I’ve filed the issue on GitHub indeed and you can follow the progress there when we get to it!

One thing that worries me however, is that in-game render scale and the lower resolution does not play well. Even if we make it work, you will be getting a lot of nasty visuals, like this:

Maybe you can try now by using a more reasonable in-game render scale (like 90%) and see how it looks? Because if it’s going to look like the above, I don’t even want to spend time fixing the bug :slight_smile:

Oh yes you are. Your CPU could give you easily 90 FPS :slight_smile: but your GPU is letting you down at 1/29ms = 35 FPS. Adding to that the ~5ms of MR overhead, you get 1/34ms = 29 FPS. And this is probable where the stuttering comes in - you are borderline able to lock 30 FPS, but likely going between 22.5 and 30 once in a while.

Yes, this is in line with what i’m seeing. It’s too bad, would need just a little more headroom to be able to lock at 1/3. Not that there’s anything wrong with being locked at 22.5 but still. Wanted to make sure i’m reading this correctly. Thank you. :slight_smile:

Edit: Oh, just wanted to add that the stuttering is occuring despite being locked at 1/4. It’s very very minimal though, had it WAY worse in the past with msfs. :smiley:

Great job guys, really!

I only have a doubt, I have a 3080RTX + Reverb G2, if I use OCR 100, in game 100 and only FFR, very often my frames are not constant and it usually stutters. I go from 32fps to 10fps over city areas.

BUT

If I use the FRS mode as I was doing in the past at 90%, my frames go up to 43fps and 32fps over the city areas which is acceptable considering my Ultra and High settings in the game.

So, my question is, do you recommend in any case the NIS or FRS modes with FFR? Of course the clarity is a bit lower. If not I need to lower down my quality settings in the game and try again…

Thanks so much!

I found that if I unlocked motion reprojection, this issue disappeared. With MR locked, I had super smooth straight ahead and stuttery looking left/down at the ground. Looking right was OK, but I think that’s because (in the DC-6) you can’t see the ground on the right from the left seat.

At first a big thank you to @mbucchia and @CptLucky8 for this great tool. For me the most important feature are the color settings. I’m still experimenting, but just the possibility to get rid of the milky-washed tone in the Reverb is great.

Unfortunately, I got 2 CTDs since running the new tool. I never had such with the old tool and I generally have very rarely CTDs (and I have been using the same combo of addons which I had active for a long time). I’ve attached the Windows log, although I doubt it will be of any help. Remove the .pln extension.

error.txt.pln (757 Bytes)

One was at KSFO on ramp, the other one in air. In both cases I had the Toolkit open and was changing settings.

I’ll keep a closer look if I can get more info when these CTDs happen (should they repeat). I might also run a clean configuration without any addons for comparison.

Kind regards, Michael

1 Like

I unlocked MR and it reduced the shutters looking left from in the cockpit of many aircraft. I’m still testing but it seems to run better with multiplayer off.

1 Like

Anyone happy to share their new colour settings with OXRTK? So far, I’ve gone for 50.1 for contrast and 40 for red,blue,green. Running Q2.

Many thanks to mbucchia and the development team for this excellent toolkit!
It has been working like a charm for me so far.

I know you guys are geniuses, so how about another wish for the next release:

I’m sure I’m not the only one trying to get rid of the terrible hazy, washed-out look in VR.

Modifying the brightness/contrast/saturation alone won’t do it. An additional tool that maximizes the tonal dynamic range (similar to the “Levels” tool in Photoshop) would go a long way towards achieving that goal. Not sure if such a tool would be too CPU intensive, but it’s worth looking into…

Thanks again!

1 Like

Bruvva, did you get FFR to work?

I have quest 2 + ms store verion.

I’m getting the resolution benefits per the previous toolkit but when turning FFR on, I seem to get no effect, no matter the ffr setting I change, including restarts

Just want to convey my great thanks for the continued development your fine tool. No comments nor complaints about it here, but unfortunately my peripheral vision just won’t allow my brain to be comfortable with effects of FFR. Tried lots of permutations of the settings with no joy, but yet I am glad and grateful we now have the option for those that can enjoy it. Thanks Again!

1 Like

Mine are here with comparison screenshots:

Basically the same as you but on 38, and 35 for blue as I feel that everything is too blue by default.
Contrast on 50.1 is great but at night with the C152, the cockpit is pitch black :sweat_smile: I like it though.

Missed your edits on the post earlier. Spot on. Thanks!

My wish too that the persisent haze - regardless of atmospheric conditions - could be removed, or at least adjusted. This, however, is not possible in post-processing (OpenXR Toolkit): @mbucchia: “It won’t solve some of the deeper engine things like exposure, haze etc, the brightness/contrast/saturation settings are applied as post-processing on the final image, so there is only so much that can be done at this level. I compare it to the settings on your TV/monitor.”

3 Likes

Congratulations @mbucchia and team! What an outstanding development of the Toolkit. Foveated rendering is great and gives me another 6-10 fps to play with in most situations. I’m deciding how I am going to spend it. There is the side effect of the black horizon lines in the foveated area in the peripheral vision. Hopefully, I will get used to it with time, some settings will fix/reduce it or you will find a way. The benefits far outweigh the negatives. The second major benefit is colour saturation. I have a 3080/HP G2 and now the colours really pop! House rooftops, Ocean, Lakes, instruments, airport ground markings etc… How this is not an essential setting in the simulator I don’t know. The Toolkit is now at a level that it is indispensable for VR. Thanks again and I’m looking forward to people sharing their tips, settings etc… after testing it further.

4 Likes

If you look here, FSR/NIS works well with FFR : Fixed Foveated Rendering | OpenXR Toolkit
Recommended to use them together to extract maximum performance

2 Likes

A little off topic, but can you say how you attached your hand tracking device to your Varjo Aero? I ask because I also have the Aero and run it with a Nvidia 3090.

Also, I’m getting approx. 40+ fps most everywhere with high 30’s in very dense environments.

Thanks

1 Like

Sure , I am using a leap module attached with a Sticky Back Tape Roll with Adhesive (velcro brand for instance that can be found on amazon)

Same mate - FFR confirmed as not working but I’m still getting better performance to the previous version. Maybe some SU8 improvements in there too?

Friend, What do the initials MR mean and how do you access it?..

Thank you so much.