[Optimum Performance Settings] For all Oculus CV1 Owners

I am referring to the ingame resolution slider. You set the FS2020 resolution to 50 and then have the oculus drivers supersample it 200%

re Quest2: Sorry, I have the CV1. I am not familiar with how the Quest2 works. Perhaps someone else can chip in with a suggestion.

re OpenXR: I just enable my headset and run the OculusDebugToolCLI.exe shortcut as explained above.

I don’t use the OTT or the debug tool (I think they just interact with the OVR server in the same way as the CLI tool does).

I’m not sure whether the OpenXR app has a direct effect with the CV1. In any case, I don’t use it (or anything else), as the “Commands.txt” approach explained a few posts back achieves what I need.

After further tests on my rig, I find that server:asw.clock30 with in sim of res 80 and Pixel Override 1.5 produces smoother results and less horizontal and vertical line “jaggies” (light poles at airports, cockpit instrument frames etc) and no discernable reduction in cockpit clarity compared to an override of 2.0.

Ryzen 3950x
2080ti nVidia 446.14
32GB

I get around this issue for now by setting the global settings for MSFS and then having specific profiles for other games/sims

Thats what I do also

If you use the following approach, there is no need for OTT or the debug tool (unless you just want to enable the HUD for performance testing).

I have to change the SS in OTT, then Ctrl+Tab out and in to make it stick. I verify it by showing Pixel Density Debug view (values at bottom should say 2.0 for 200%)

Is there any need for that Open XR Dev tool running Oculus? Discussions in various threads leave me confused if I should just stick with OTT to set SS2.0 + ASW 30FPS with TAA60%, or if the dev tool provides something new?

There is no need for the WMR OpenXR Dev Tools once you have used regedit to point to the Oculus .json

1 Like

I have a Quest 2 with Oculus Link which works fine ( about 35 FPS and reasonably clear) but I can’t seem to enable the debug HUD in any mode - I want the performance mode. I set it with the ODT but nothing happens - is there a need to hit a keyboard key?

Do i need to make OTT ( set a specific msfs2020 path ) work in msfs2020 or is it ok to start OTT and Occulus Software and than launching msfs2020 ?

When i set pixel override ( f.e. occulus debug tool ) to 2.0 i get really bad stutters.

That’s really good info, thanks. I would have tried it on my Oculus Rift, but I was unable to even download FS2020, as the Xbox ‘sign-in’ was repeatedly rejecting the password, even though correct? I have created a support ref with MS over this issue, as even though I have received a full refund for FS2020, I may try again in the new year, when more Xbox support staff will return after the hols.

Can you share your settings please I’m struggling to find a decent combination…

Here are my settings for Oculus Quest2 Link: PC=9700K@5Ghz+RTX2070
Change Pixel Override to 1.3 for more clarity but a drop of 3-5FPS

NOTE: Use Regedit OpenXR to Oculus and (re)start Oculus
C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-runtime\oculus_openxr_64.json

Q2 Link 72Hz RenderRes = 2x1808x1840 (Native Res)

---- ODT Settings
Pixel Override 1.2, Adaptive GPU = Off, ASW=Off, Distortion Curvature=Low, Encode Res Width = 2912, Encode Bitrate=300, Vis HUD=Perf

MSFS2020 TAA70 Graphics VR 70,L,L,M,L,85,L,H,4X,2x2,M,L,768,O,O,H,O,O,O,O,H
Traffic 5,15,0,0,10,0 AI=Off
Comments = 36FPS at Takeoff, minimal stutter sideview (no ASW), minimal cockpit distortion, lowres 1824x1840 Game 1276x1288

Ok so I used the CLI tool to set 30fps. How do I put it back to default please? :rofl:

Thanks! I’ll give that a try.

I just tried your settings for my Oculus Rift S with only below variances:

1. I set V-Sync as Fast in NVidia Control Panel.

2. I disabled ASW instead of fixing it at 30FPS.

3. I disabled Motion Reprojection.

4. I left two “detail” settings at 100% instead of 75%, but set render scale at its minimum 30%.

The result was great for my below-VR-minimum i7-3770 + 1660 Super. I felt almost none lag, stutter or distortion bush flying very low near El Captain with Bold & High clouds.

BTW, VR flying there in the valley is truly breath taking! After I landed on a road right beneath El Captain, I exit the plane and looked up, “Wow!”. Too bad I don’t know how to take a picture for that.

If I lower detail settings to 75%, I could fly easily between skyscrapers in Toronto with slight but tolerable stuttering. Even in Washington DC where my very detailed paid landmark sceneries used to make VR unplayable, I can now enjoy VR flying without much pain. I also felt the imagery were much sharper, crispier, and coloured more naturally. It’s hard to believe that with 30% render scaling and 75% details, I still felt it kept 100% details. This was impossible on screen so I think our brain in VR thought everything was real and subconsciously “compensated” many lost details.

My cockpit instrument graphics were also OK. No difficulty to set autopilot or so with occasional “VR Focus” (I set a joystick hotkey for that).

If you’re using the debug tool, after you choose performance hud, there is another dropdown below that where you have to pick which performance hud. It treats them like a category of options. Or, just install Oculus Tray Tool and have easy access to all of these things along with other ASW options :wink:

Easiest way is just open the debut tool and set it to ‘Auto.’ That’s the default.

here is the command.txt with the use-fov-stencil set to off

server:asw.clock30
service set-pixels-per-display-pixel-override 2
service set-use-fov-stencil off
exit

1 Like

@WhitAv8r i have seen your parameters for the Quest 2 but i am unable to understand where i can find them… ODT… Q2 Link…
for Pixel override its ok
my config is Ryzen 5 2600X and AMD RT 5600X so maybe in the low end for VR but when i check the recommended specs it seems that i am not in so bad position.
i have applied all recommended parameters found in this post but i can’t get good results.