Orbx - Alaska Mesh

Spike fix for PAJN…

2 Likes

Hey all
General question regarding ORBX Alaska Mesh:
Is this worth it in Nov. 2022, or is the default mesh since two USA updates actually more or less the same anyway?
Also, does it also improve textures? The ground textures around coordinates 62.779143, -150.506666 are really bad in default version… is that better with the ORBX mesh?

Thanks a lot

Following…

The Orbx mesh does nothing for textures. That’s a Bing thing.

1 Like

@TheRealOli4D @Wallardi
Orbx Alaska Mesh improves the mesh (shape) of the mountains and terrain. NOT TEXTURES, those come from Bing Aerial Imagery.

Asobo released this with WUII

As we can see, Alaska has a LOD14 (16m resolution). Orbx Alaska mesh has up to 5m resolution! (From product description) So it is definitely better.

I own it myself, if you fly around Alaaka a lot, it’s 100% worth it. Even more-so at sale prices!

It makes the shape of the mountains and valleys that much more detailed and better!

Edit: Here are some comparison shots from earlier in the thread :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I created a wishlist topic for a world map like the USA map:

It would enable us to know the answer to any future questions like yours for anywhere in the world!

2 Likes

Voted! Great idea.

1 Like

It’s great this mesh. What a big difference between this and the Asobo default. Now my flights over Alaska are a really nice experience. Before, all the mountains were round and without details in the mesh. This is a must have. :grinning:

3 Likes

Yes, it is really worth it. It doesn’t improve textures, it improves the land definition-quality.

1 Like

New version 1.3.0 of Orbx Alaska mesh released.

• resolved terrain issues at PANC and PAVD

-eelis-

7 Likes

Is this the update that was pushed on the Marketplace today?

Seems to be, ver. 1.3
It took nearly two months to appear on MP.

-eelis-

2 Likes

So I hope to see again third-party PANC on Xbox, it was removed months ago but still don’t know if it was because of terrain issue.

Does anyone else have the Marketplace version of this add-on?

I’m finding that when I have it installed “Wanda” the wand marshal will no longer appear for me.

I’ve narrowed it down to this add-on being the issue and I’m wondering if anyone else has noted this?

I have this. Can you give me a set of steps to test if I have the same issue?

1 Like

I think I was incorrect in my assessment.

It’s been a difficult issue for me to corner, and I thought it was related to the Alaska Mesh, but I was wrong.

Thanks for being willing to look into it for me!

1 Like

For me the issue of “no marshaller” started whe I installed a Norwegian 3rd party airport ENMH… or something like that. I can look it up if the details are valuable.

I own the Alaska, Iceland and Himalaya meshes. Why, on the ORBX Central Discover page, the Iceland and Alaska meshes are not shown? The Himalaya mesh is. Anyone knows?

1 Like

Hi Folks,

Just wondering whether to pick it up since many similar sceneries are made redundant when World Updates are released? Thanks…

You’ll need to make your own decision. I have it but haven’t been up there in a while, so far as I know still it does what it says on the tin.

The problem with mountains in MSFS is they are too smooth and rounded and not nearly enough detail. As a result I’ve not spent much time flying low through mountains as I would like to, and as a result I’ve not personally had value out of this. It’s better but not good enough for me to make it a game changer.

I’m hoping the new AI rock generation claimed for MSFS2024 finally makes mountainous terrain look real.

4 Likes