Orbx Santa Run 2021 (Freeware)

I’ve had fun with this freeware addon which you can get from here: Orbx Santa Run 2021

There is Santa’s Sleigh being pulled by 8 reindeer including Rudolf(the reindeer actually move) which you can fly around anywhere:

Before pressing READY TO FLY Santa can be heard saying Ho Ho Ho Merry Christmas

There is also Christmas scenery if you fly from either
YBMK Mackay to YBHM Hamilton Island OR
YMLT Launceston to YMHB Hobart

If you want to remove the Christmas scenery and keep the Santa Sleigh then navigate to your Community folder:
For the Microsoft Store install:
C:\Users\[Your User Name]\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Packages\Community
For the Steam install:
C:\Users\[Your User Name]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft Flight Simulator\Packages\Community
and delete the orbx-santa-run-2021-pack folder.

If you want to have an AI Santa Clause in his Santa Sleigh flying around and parked at random airports then edit this file in notepad:
C:\Users\[Your User Name]\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Packages\Community\orbx-aircraft-santa\SimObjects\Airplanes\Orbx_Santa\aircraft.cfg
For the Steam install:
C:\Users\[Your User Name]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft Flight Simulator\Packages\Community\orbx-aircraft-santa\SimObjects\Airplanes\Orbx_Santa\aircraft.cfg
Search(Ctrl + F) for this line:

isAirTraffic=0

^ Change the 0 to a 1 and then save the file.

10 Likes

PMDG sit down.

MSFS freezes every time I try to use the sleigh.

Lots of CTDs for me when trying to fly from other locations than the Santa Run.
Otherwise when it works having some fun !

Try this:

1. Go to the world map.
  2. Select any aircraft besides the Santa sleigh.
  3. Select your departure airport and select a runway rather than a gate/parking.
  4. Optionally select your arrival airport.
  5. Click on your chosen aircraft in the top left hand corner and now choose the Santa Sleigh and then click on the Santa Sleigh in the top left hand corner to close the aircraft selection screen.
  6. Click Fly.

A few issues there:

1. The sled could be slightly underpowered with only 8 reindeer, so the MTOW will likely be reduced.
  2. What happened to Rudolph, and why is Dasher (or Dancer?) wearing the red nose?*
  3. Global equipment rules probably requires the reindeer on the left side (in flight direction) to wear the red nose, not the right one (which needs to be equipped with a green nose!).
  • All 8 reindeer on the Orbx sled are female as the antlers indicate. Rudolph as the only male would shed his antlers after the mating season and appear in front of the 4 rows of female reindeer. This again is animal cruelty, as male reindeer accumulate very little body fat for the winter, and apparently there is no anti-icing equipment on the entire configuration. So the sled is clearly not certified for FIKI, which could severely impact its aptitude for worldwide gift delivery.

Here’s a pic of the original configuration:

:slight_smile:

4 Likes

But the PMDG version has accurate feeding profiles and sleeping patterns of every single one of these reindeers, accurate torque of every single leg calculated when pulling the sleigh, plus LED-illuminated noses.
Plus a 720-page veterinarian handbook related to reindeer anatomy and what to do when one of these reindeers get hurt for example when accidentally ramming a chimney in low altitude flights.

There is also a Krampus figure as pilot available with no freight section filled with gifts but a rusty cage as passenger compartment for the baaaad kids who don´t get their Nintendo Wii this christmas eve but some nice holiday days - in hell. (The hell entry doors are fully 3D-modelled in various active volcanoes as seperate airport add-ons).

1 Like

Is this glass panels or steam gauges?

1 Like

Can’t wait to see this in the next Airforceproud video.

Better, thanks. Can takeoff and land. Trying to switch views still freezes the program.

How are you switching views? I have no issues changing views using the Camera icon and clicking between Cockpit, External, and Showcase:

I’m using the button at the top of my joystick (hat switch?) to try to look left or look right - that’s freezing the sim requiring a restart.

Which controller do you have which has the hat switch? I’ve got a Honeycomb Alpha Flight Control with a hat switch and I couldn’t reproduce this in either Cockpit or External views. You can use your mouse as a workaround by clicking and holding the right mouse button and keep moving the mouse left or right to look left or right.

I’ve got the Tobii Eye Tracker 5 which tracks both eye and head movements and I use that to look around. I use it with FaceTrackNoIR to get 6DOF and to also tweak sensitivities.

No GPS, no functioning radio, no emissive lights, textures are FSX quality. Total cash grab.

:wink:

Also, it crashed for me when I tried to fly it as well.

Don’t forget about the fully-functional AFE (automated flight elf).

How is this for emissive lights:

I think you will find that Santa’s Sleigh follows the global equipment rules.

Where/how is it crashing? If it’s crashing at the world map have you tried this workaround?

With thanks to @N316TS for pointing this out, if you want to have an AI Santa Clause in his Santa Sleigh flying around and parked at random airports then edit this file in notepad:
C:\Users\[Your User Name]\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Packages\Community\orbx-aircraft-santa\SimObjects\Airplanes\Orbx_Santa\aircraft.cfg

For the Steam install:
C:\Users\[Your User Name]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft Flight Simulator\Packages\Community\orbx-aircraft-santa\SimObjects\Airplanes\Orbx_Santa\aircraft.cfg

Search(Ctrl + F) for this line:

isAirTraffic=0

^ Change the 0 to a 1 and then save the file.

1 Like

I cannot get the sleigh to take off See other people doing it

2022 updated URL: