ORBX - South America Mesh

6 Likes

Great looking forward to checking it out. Been very happy with the Alaska, NZ and Himalaya.
I suppose MS will get around to the Andes at some point but that can be two years down the road.

1 Like

Hello, I fly most of time in Brazil. The mesh have some noticeable differences?

2 Likes

After the disappoinment with their Himalaya, I’m not going to buy a pig in a poke again.
If someone have the SAM - can you please do a test on two places where MSFS is really baad:

1. Cerro Torre & Fitzroy: -49.28618414407818, -72.97682427544319
    a.Wikipedia:

b. GE: not bad for a WW-coverage

c. MSFS: oh my…

d. X-Plane Payware - shows whats possible with a focus:

talking about Brazil:
2. Roraima Tepui: 5.136172863663633, -60.796915130363146
a. Wikipedia:

b. MSFS: pyramids & geeentle slopes

and then there is - Salto Angel 5.968265811868791, -62.53777265820275 …

thanks in advance!

5 Likes

This in the Marketplace? Thanks

Tempted to get this, I might well do today. It looks really good.

I fly a lot in that region because I love the varied terrain and weather, from the snow down in Ushuaia, Tierra del Fuego Province, Argentina, to the hotter regions further north.

I really like that area.

From the comparison YT vids I have seen so far there is not much difference but will happily be proven wrong.

2 Likes

I’m also interested in this, been flying in South America quite a lot until a couple of months ago and a better mesh is welcome.

However I’m on the fence. I mean, plenty of screenshots but no comparison between, say, Torres del Paine in MSFS (basically the visual representation of sadness) and the new mesh. I would think a comparison of the area before and after would make the sale of this an easy one and the fact that it is not there does not inspire much confidence.

If anyone happens to fly there with the new mesh I’d be grateful if they could grab a screenshot and post it here.

2 Likes

There is some comparison screenshots on the Orbx forum, I found it and decided I wouldn’t bother, there really is not much difference at all imo @Snowy3509 is right.

1 Like

Comparison shots here:

1 Like

Not enough difference to commit 25gb of my limited disk space. Shame as I’d love to have more detail in this area of the world.

3 Likes

4 Likes

Can anybody check if Angel Falls still look like this with this addon?

5 Likes

Sadly… Yes. :weary:

2 Likes

Thanks, I suspected that.

at left, fitz roy without orbx mesh. at right, with mesh. no Cerro Torre, no improvements… at Bariloche, Cerro Catedral still without the famous towers uphill…

1 Like

It’s a mesh not lidar data it’s never going to be able to pick up sharp cliffs or crazy detail. It’s 10 interpolation off a 20m source in most areas.

Let’s be realistic, itsya fairly cheap way to bump up the visuals modestly of a huge area.

If the times zones lined up and I flew more in SA I’d definitely be picking this up.

1 Like

thanks Bruno!
Definitively not worth it, GEarth shows that much better data are there, lets hope in a not too distant future MS can stream them too.
My personal guess is that ORBX gears up for X-Plane 12 (where you need to have the planet on your HD) and tries to make a windfall profit here as well.

2 Likes

I’ve bought all the meshes and also this South America one. One of the first things I did in the sim was flying the Andes bush trip. I was a great trip, stunning at places, but also showed glimpses of what it could be with a better mesh. I think it’s a small price for something you look at a lot more than an airport - I see it as a placeholder for a WU that will probably come down the road in a few years.
And hey, the guy making it is Ukrainian.

1 Like

@JooSim Thank you very much for taking the time to capture and share the screenshots.

I’ll be looking to add this to my collection after all (hopefully it will play nice w/Simulacion Extrema’s Puerto Natales and the included scenery modifications).

To be a mesh only it’s a pretty good effort and while not the ‘must have’ product I would have liked it covers more than enough to have a decent price/quality balance (imho, of course!). If it also gets rid of the dreadful terrain pop-in then it’s worth the price of admission.

1 Like