P-51 engine complete loss of power - happens every flight

I’m not sure if this is a bug, or I’m doing something wrong.

I can’t fly the P-51 (from Reno base package) for more than about 10 minutes without a complete loss of power (In sim - not race).

I’ve been watching all gauges and everything looks fine. I’ve tried everything I can think of to get it going again, but can’t manage it. It’s like it’s run out of fuel even though the gauge says I still have plenty.

I have this issue also. I thought I was damaging the engine in some way, but turning engine damage off in assistance setting doesn’t seem to help either. I went back and studied the manifold settings, prop settings, mixture….everything I could think of, but no joy. I must be missing something.

1 Like

I think it is running out of fuel. If I change the tank selection (defaults to left wing) I seem to get longer out of it before it quits. I can’t find any indicator for remaining fuel in each tank.

1 Like

I ran out of fuel very quickly on one trip so yes this sounds correct. Maybe it defaults to correct fuel amount for one Reno race?

That could be it. I’ll check it out.

I’m pretty sure it is the default low fuel in the wing tanks. If you go to ‘weight and balance’ it shows a small load in the wing tanks.

I tried increasing those and then flying for a while, then changing the fuel selector over to the main tank and I didn’t experience the loss of power (Flew for 20 minutes).

I can’t find how to check the fuel levels in the tank, so maybe you just have to keep track of time?

The location of the fuel gauge for original P-51D is usually on the floor, just in front of your seat.
fuel gage on the P-51? - Air Battles - War Thunder - Official Forum

2 Likes

I’ve been flying the P-51D “Spam Can/Dolly” and I cannot find the center fuel gauge. It is definitely not over my left shoulder as in other P-51s. Can anyone help?

for me it is different. simply the RPM are too low from the first second and the plane have not enough power to fly and crash.
Is anyone having the same problem?

1 Like

i’ve got you exact same problem, have you found a solution?

nothing. I had to stop using it. I imagine it is a bug.
if you know the solution please share!!

Could the issue be the same as the one reported here ?

1 Like

I ended up finding that keeping manifold pressure UNDER 46" (the maximum value of the green arc on the MP gauge) no matter what seemed to work. During takeoff roll I’ll push pressure right up to 46", but not one inch higher.

Disclosure: I do have unlimited fuel, all throttle assists turned off, and engine damage off as a part of my trouble shooting. After 3 days of trying everything I read up on in forums over and over the issue still persisted. Failed 100% of the time within 2 minutes, usually before I even pulled the wheels off the ground.

Now, keeping under 46" I haven’t had an issue once. It’s almost as if the engine is being damaged despite the damage setting being deactivated. Either way, over 100nm down and she’s purring like a kitten. Hope this helps someone else that has exhausted all other options.

1 Like

Having the same issue, still can’t understand what am I doing wrong with the mixture and throttle. Can’t imagine how can fly untill 500mph…

Its completely borked. I bought one of the Reno stangs (wee willy i think) engine dies with any increase in rpm.
Completely unable to taxi let alone take off. MS update all the free stuff but not the one’s we pay extra for. Honestly if it wasnt so cheap in the first place id have gotten a refund. As usual MS quick to take your cash and after that the just plain (pardon the pun) cant be bothered to help.

1 Like

No it is a bug - they tried 1 fix a couple of months ago and it made things worse: engine will not throttle up.
I kept the old version on a different drive and reinstalled that. So at least it works for 10 or 15 mins. But it is fuel related I think because on the older version switching tanks and looking at the weight/balance pop-up I can see fuel rushing out of the active tank and into the other ones.
Pressing R for ‘repair’ fixes it for another 10 mins or so. Happens regardless of careful engine handling - cooling flap setting, prop pitch/revs, manifold pressure/boost etc.
Very sad and annoying. Asobo won’t refund, don’t unencrypt files so we can DIY, and so far haven’t mended it. Otherwise a great aeroplane - pity !

2 Likes

The same thing happens to me in bunny and wee willy

i got it i got the plane to fly! during take off you cant the rpm go above green then when the wheels are off the ground can increase the throttle a little bit then when the speed gets to 135 knots you can let it go into the yellow then just be gentle on the throttle i havent experimented with the strategy much but feel free to try this out

This is happening to me. Engine stops before I’ve even takem off. Never used to be like this.

1 Like

I made this thread before I found that in the Reno base back P-51 it starts on a single wing tank, which has about 15 minutes of fuel. Somebody solved it by showing me how to change fuel tanks and where the gauges were.

BUT - now there is a new bug which means that the engine quits the moment the throttle is advanced. It’s a shame, because it has been one of my favorite aircraft in the sim.

Hopefully Asobo can add fixing this to their enormous to-do list. I got my money’s worth out of the base Reno pack with many hours in all 4 types it came with. The other three are still working fine. I also have Strega, which I bought separately, it still runs, but for free flight in the world I much preferred the default one from the base pack.

There is a bug report or two - please go add votes to them.