PA-28R Arrow III from Just Flight

Can I ask, and this is in no way a criticism, but do the in-cockpit engine sounds of the turbo really lack any bass?

The external sounds are fantastic but my internal sounds don’t sound the same as they do on the various YouTube previews. They sound quite tinny and don’t appear to have any bass note to the engine sound.

I’m using a high spec pair of Sony headphones which always sound great, as they do with the normally aspirated Arrow.

Any ideas? :man_shrugging:t3:

All of this.

The bundle is really only in place so we could offer the previous bundle owners a discount if they chose to wait and having to do one anyway for the Marketplace it made sense having it on our website too.

But absolutely, anyone coming into this fresh, then buying the single aircraft (Arrow first and then the Turbo) makes the most sense and will give you the best bang for your buck. Anyone buying the Arrow now gets the discount code added to their account. Hope that helps.

4 Likes

I agree with your findings. The plane sounds very ‘flat’, with little to no bass.

1 Like

Glad it’s not just me. Internally it sounds like a not particularly powerful lawn mower, whereas the preview streams sound throaty and like a turbo aero-engine should.

I’m not a member of the JF forum but can see no one has questioned it as yet. I guess given the time of day is to blame.

I think it sounds like the virus pipistrel

See you’ve posted on our forum too. Let’s see what replies you see there. I haven’t seen any other mentions of this and there’s nothing reported within testing about it. Can look into it though for sure, let’s see what other replies this generates first. The dev team will be on the forum over the weekend so it’ll get picked up on at some point.

2 Likes

Is there an official promo trailer anywhere where the in cockpit sounds are properly audible?

Something definitely doesn’t seem right (for me at least) as it sounds asthmatic compared to the normal Arrow III. There’s no roundedness (is that a word?) to the sound which is one dimensional. Of course, it might be that that is prototypical and my expectations are off.

I haven’t had chance to try the Turbo III, so thus far this is on the IV in my experience.

ps I also haven’t seen any exhaust haze from either the Arrow III v0.6.0 or the Turbo. I must be missing something somehow! :relaxed:

Hi! There´s an error in the turbo arrow´s custom livery: a blank box where the registration number should be…

Are there plans to give Arrow owners a discount on the Warrior when it releases?

2 Likes

@SinewyDolphin74

FWIW I’ve got to the bottom of these audio issues. It appears to be the ‘Headphone Simulation’ option in the audio menu. I’ve always had this ‘on’ and indeed, if it isn’t on in the original Arrow the engine noise is overbearing.

In the Turbo version (both the III & IV) with this option on it sounds like an over zealous hand fan. With ‘Headphone Simulation’ off it sounds awesome, and exactly as I expected it to.

@pampiermole Feel free to copy and paste this to the JF forum if you wish. There’s a big difference between the normal and Turbo Arrows with Headphone Simulation ‘On’.

Cheers & HTH.

3 Likes

I will, thank you

2 Likes

Yes there is.

4 Likes

in real life, turbo engines to be way more silent than normally aspirated ones because the turbine kills a lot of sound. I’m referring to the sound coming out of the exhaust, not about the mechanical sound.
in general though there is quite an imbalance across different mods as long as sound levels go.
every mod has it’s own settings and things get even more tricky with “headphone simulation” activated.
carenado sound levels are sky high, some others are too silent (e.g. default C152, C172, etc)
others have aerodynamic noises overdone…I usually have to tweak for each specific mod, kind of tedious.

I think that’s a good decision. I have the Turbo for X-Plane and the hissing sound drove me nuts, and I eventually regretted not getting the naturally aspirated one.

Then I got the standard MSFS Arrow and liked it much more, both visually and in other respects. The cockpit definitely looks much nicer to me. I’m now listening if the turbo sounds are improved and it seems to be the case (actually the MSFS versions have completely new sounds which I like). But I’m not finished. Perhaps I might get the discounted turbo now, too. It travels a bit faster but both are not rocketships.

If the price for the bundle or the discount upgrade is only slightly higher than one or the other, get them both, fly them a lot, compare them and you might actually find that you like one or both more for subtle reasons that you did not expect.

It is a great addon either way, and it is nice that there are variations imo. It could be educational to have similar planes with different engine philosophy to compare. With the discount it also doesn’t look at all as if they are trying to milk us with those versions, but give extra candy for Arrow fans at a reasonable price.

2 Likes

Just so that I can understand it (and potentially put it in my cheklist), may I please ask what are the rules of thumb for the non-turbo Arrow III as far as mixture leaning is concerned during the various phases of a flight?

• Assuming we take off at sea level, we start climbing with full mixture
  • Start leaning after 3000’ AGL
  • During climb I assume we care about best power operation, so we should be leaning to remain at 100oF below peak EGT
  • During cruising it’s up the pilot to decide whether to use best power (100oF below peak EGT) or best economy (peak EGT)
  • (unsure about descending)

Does this make sense or am I too confused?

Up until now I was simply starting to lean at altitudes above 3000’ and after that I’d always strive to remain at peak EGT (just as @EnoughBard39362 says) no matter if I was climbing, cruising or descending (which would usually be at around mixture 40%, where the mixture lock activates and the lever can’t be pushed farther back). I’d switch back to full mixture only at the final stage of approach, e.g. at around 1000’ AGL or so.

Apparently there are more options? Also does the turbo version differ to the above?

2 Likes

Purchased the non turbo arrow and then the turbo at the discounted rate and with the JF points, it would have been silly not to as like you say it gives me the option further down the line. First impressions are that it’s a very solid product. Thanks for your advice.

2 Likes

Apart from the Turbo, what differences can I find between the Arrow III that I already have, and the new Turbo?

I’m a little lost in this, is it worth having both?

Thanks guys.

Well, the only “major” new feature is engine maintenance since it can break down if you enable it.

Other than that it’s just everything that comes with different engine and different models between III and IV. New sounds, some new instruments, different performance, slightly different models, a few new liveries,…

Thank you very much for your answer,
If in the end it’s going to be practically the same, it doesn’t make sense to have both, doesn’t it? … I always fly with the Arrow III, it’s the one I use the most, I don’t know what to do … :thinking:

Well, the Turbo climbs easier and higher and has a higher TAS, there’s scenarios where the normal aspirated Arrow III simply can’t fly (high mountains, low clouds,…).
But surely it’s everyone’s decision if the price is worth the extras.