PA-28R Arrow III from Just Flight

Reminds me , my Flying Instructor said ‘it is not a plane , it is an aircraft or an aeroplane.’
A plane is a tool used in woodworking.

1 Like

Hi guys!

Since a while I’ve noticed something very odd in the behavior of the Piper while rolling during T/O, I guess that I’m not the only one to feel bugged by this strange phenomena which is that at around 55/60 kt before VR the bird has a tendancy to turn to the left brutaly (no matter what?!) as if a strong gust wind hit it, and that made my Piper grounded since a while even if I had hope that it would be fixed with the last update but still…

I don’t see users complaining about it so that has anybody found a solution to get rid of this terrible bug that I have on my side which ruins my experience so far?

Thank you! :wink:

Would you rather I say Flugzeug?

2 Likes

A Flugzeug is the pilots Werkzeug.

1 Like

A (aero)plane is a pilots tool.

A notch trim up on the elevator and/or pulling the yoke slightly back around 60kias helped me avoiding this.
As far as I know it’s a sim issue but on the Arrows it’s far more pronounced than on stock aircraft.

I have a feeling though that the recent updates brought a little bit more control to it.

1 Like

Tks for your quick reply! I finally can’t understand why Asobo didn’t fix such a terrible bug so far then???!
Anyway… She will take dust in my hangar until… :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Just keep a little back pressure on the yoke, and some up nose trim and she’s all good.
Don’t waste a great aircraft on something easily worked around.

3 Likes

I opened the window today while low in the French Riviera and I could almost swear I was hearing the engine sounds echoing off the hillside

1 Like

I’ve had this happen as well. For me, I just reset the flight and start over. That “usually” solves the problem. Very annoying though!!

Resetting the flight isn’t an option if it happens on every flight. So I rather use my workaround to get AP back to work.

I have the latest version and I’m not getting this problem … check your axis’ are properly calibrated.

That’s an issue not specific to the Arrow. It happens to all aircraft, more so to taildraggers. If that was realistic behaviour we probably would have dozens of serious aviation accidents on take off every day. It definitely needs fixing.

2 Likes

They are. And many have that issue.
It’s a bug of the addon and/or the sim, not on user’s side.

It’s a sudden shift to one side at a certain speed. If it were peripherals issues, it’d gradually be turning.
Plenty users have the issue, it’s documented in a lot of threads here and on JF forums and JF acknowledged it, but seems to find no way around it without negative impact on something else.

Oh that! I thought that was just a single engine torque thing although I did think it excessive for a basically such a gutless aircraft. In the cruise with a passenger onboard I haven’t noticed a problem but I’ve not had it long, perhaps so far I’ve just been lucky with the wind direction :smiley:

Since the latest hotfix when I follow the shutdown procedure my prop doesn’t stop turning… The mixture cutoff doesn’t seem to do much, whereas before that would kill the engine.

Just wondering if this is a known bug and if anyone else has this issue?

Yes …you can keep clicking with the mouse to the left of the mixture control and pull it back again and it might work but definitely a bug .

Do you have the mixture lock engaged? If so the bug is that you can’t get below 40% but the lever goes further down.
Starting from the runway has the lock engaged automatically.

1 Like

This weather-vaning at rotation….are you only finding it happens with x-winds? FWIW I do.

To that end it’s pretty logical and accurate behaviour. Obviously in a real world crosswind you would take-off with crossed controls but you would require further into wind aileron pretty sharpish after lift off. The x-wind limit of the Arrow III is ~17kts, a wind which you would know about in a large jet. In a light SE Piston it would be entirely feasible that it would weather vane in this manner. It’s maybe a little exaggerated in the sim but it’s not incorrect.

I don’t have rudder pedals so use the take-off autorudder option and it’s completely understandable that as you lift off that disengages which explains the weather-vaning. Unless you have the full flight control setup and are applying the correct technique (something I can’t test) then it shouldn’t be surprising to see this.

I’d hazard-a-guess that many people are often taking off with x-winds in excess of 17kts without realising it too.

ps If you find the mixture won’t got to idle hit Ctrl+Shift+F1 then Ctrl+Shift+F4 and it should start working correctly.

I’ve got an issue with “recharge battery” on the pad in the turbo. Clicking that gives me a “bzz” noise and the battery drains to 8.8V. Quite the opposite of what it used to do.

Edit: Known issue with SimConnect.