Paris-Dakar Rally Registration Thread (Charity) UPDATE: Prize from Microsoft

Hi everyone,

The second event of the 2021 MSFS Endurance Race Series is coming up on July 3! This time, we’ll be re-creating one of the most famous races from the world of motorsports, the epic off-road rally from Paris, France (LFPG) to Dakar, Senegal (GOOY).

Important note: this race is open to everyone, including those who missed Endurance Race #1 (Indian-Pacific Wing Race). There will be an overall series winner for the pilot who completes all four 2021 races in the fastest combined time, but each event is a standalone race with an individual winner. You can choose to participate in one, two, three, or all four. It’s entirely up to you.

The rules remain the same from the previous race in the series. See below:

Event Description
Paris, France (LFPG) to Dakar, Senegal (GOOY)
July 3, 2021
2,277 nautical miles
Estimated flying time: ~19-20 hours at an average ground speed of 120 knots
Charity to support: Médecins Sans Frontières / Doctors Without Borders
For over 40 years, the Dakar Rally has been the premiere annual off-road motorsport event. In recent years the race has shifted locations to various places around the world from South America to Saudi Arabia, but we will be using the classic route of Paris to Dakar. This epic flight will take our pilots over picturesque France and Spain then through the harsh conditions of the Sahara Desert in Morocco and Mauritania before finally reaching our destination in Senegal.

All events in the 2021 MSFS Endurance Race Series start at 8:00am in the local time zone of the departure airport. Please see the table below for the start time in some common global time zones.

I’ve also created a Countdown Clock to the race start time.

Prize
MSFS Community Manager @Jummivana has agreed to generously donate one (1) Orbx Landmarks Paris City Pack to the winner of the event! Thanks so much for your support, Jayne! <3

Charity
As part of this event, please consider supporting Médecins Sans Frontières / Doctors Without Borders. If you are livestreaming your race, please promote this excellent organization and solicit donations from your viewers. We have created a custom campaign page so we can track how much money we raise for MSF as a community.

https://events.doctorswithoutborders.org/campaign/MSFS-Paris-Dakar-Rally-202

Paris-Dakar Rally Rules

1. Full realism settings in MSFS must be enabled. In the Options Menu, “Piloting” must be set to “Hard” with the exception of “Take-off Auto Rudder” which can be on or off depending on your preference. “Aircraft Systems” and “Failure & Damage” must be set to “Hard”. All “Navigation Aids” must be turned off with the exception of “Taxi Ribbon” which can be on or off depending on your preference.
    1a. The procedure for refueling is as follows: land at any airport and come to a complete stop. You can then re-fill your fuel tanks using the in-game menu along the top of the screen. You must wait a minimum of 10 minutes before taking off again for the next leg of your flight. During this 10 minute wait, you are permitted to taxi and reposition your plane, but you must remain on the ground and not exceed 50 knots.
  2. Live Weather and Live Time must be turned on for the entire duration of the flight.
  3. Everyone will take off from LFPG simultaneously at exactly 8:00am Central European Summer Time (0600Z) on July 3. We will be playing on the home server of the departure airport (West Europe).
    3a. Your race ends as soon as you come to a full stop landing with the parking brake on at GOOY. Your time is measured as the total number of hours and minutes elapsed since 0600Z on July 3, not the amount of time you personally spent flying. For example, if you flew for 10 hours, took an 8 hour break, then flew for another 10 hours, your completion time would be 28 hours, not 20.
    3b. You have a total of 96 hours from the race start time to complete the event.
  4. Pilots are free to plot their own individual flight plans from LFPG to GOOY. Waypoints and cruising altitudes are at each pilot’s discretion.
  5. Pilots can choose any of the default aircraft included in the Standard, Premium, or Premium Deluxe versions of MSFS (no custom add-on aircraft allowed), but you may only fly single piston engine GA planes. No airliners, jets, turboprops, or multi-engine aircraft are allowed.
    5a. Additionally, the Beechcraft Bonanza is banned due to having substantially better performance than all the other GA planes.
    5b. All planes must be flown stock from Asobo/Microsoft. No 3rd party mods, including liveries and flight model enhancements, are permitted.
    5c. You are not permitted to switch aircraft types partway through the run. You must fly the same plane for the entire duration of the race.
  6. Enabling the autopilot is allowed and, in fact, is encouraged. Please take bathroom breaks and periodically get up to stretch.
  7. Successfully landing at any airport creates a “save point”. If you crash (either virtually in the sim or your computer crashes), you may “respawn” and continue the race from your last “save point”. Your elapsed time does not reset, however.
    7a. You can create a “save point” by performing a quick touch-and-go landing at any airport. You may not refuel during a touch-and-go, however. Refueling is only permitted if you wait on the ground for 10 minutes per Rule 1a.
  8. All pilots must track their flight using https://simair.io/ . This is to validate everyone’s time, flight path, and refueling.
  9. The deadline for registering for this event is 2359Z on Saturday, June 26.

2021 MSFS Endurance Race Series Rules

1. Each race in the series will have an individual winner.
  2. The Grand Champion of the 2021 MSFS Endurance Race Series will be the pilot with the fastest total time across all four events combined.
  3. You must fly a unique aircraft type in each event to qualify for the Grand Champion. You may not fly the same plane in more than one race.
    3a. Additionally, you may only fly one (1) of the following three planes across all four races: Cirrus SR22, Extra 330LT, Pitts Special S2S. For example, if you flew the Cirrus in the Australia event, you may not fly ANY of the Cirrus, Extra, or Pitts in any of the subsequent three races.

To confirm which aircraft you used in previous races, check the Registration and Results Spreadsheet.

Registration Form (Deadline is 2359Z on Saturday, June 26).

7 Likes

I’m assuming the ‘no mods’ includes not allowing the WT G1000?

Yes, correct.

I do not have a google account so couldn’t register but I fly the tour with you in a microlight (VL3) :

Log: simair logbook Tom
Livestream: stream.jakobs.systems (only when flying)

Hi @MiniGolf3388757,

What do you mean about requiring a Google account to complete the form? It should be set up so that you can submit the requested info without having to login to anything. Is there a specific error message you received?

I manually added your registration info to the form. Please confirm I have all your info correct (row 58 in this spreadsheet):

Hi actually you need a Google Account to write to the doc, its readonly for those without google…

Hi @MiniGolf3388757,

That spreadsheet is purposely read-only with only me being able to edit it. The registration form (linked below) should be usable by everyone without needing an account.

Oh man I am stupid :wink: don’t fly and chat :wink:
Registred now… and continue flying, thank you

1 Like

@SeedyL3205 hi Seedy, would you mind changing my Aircraft (Quax00001) to the Pipistrel Virus please?
Thx.

@QUAX00001 Done. :slight_smile:

1 Like

For the person who registered under the name “jr beddia”, I need a link to your profile on simair.io, not your email address. For example, my simair profile is https://simair.io/logbook/SeedyL.

For folks looking to take in the local language and music while in the cockpit, don’t forget to download and turn on the free Jumpseat Radio app :slightly_smiling_face:

https://jumpseatmedia.com/

Good luck to all!

1 Like

For those of us who will be unable to race in a leg after posting a time in round one (or two, or three), will we be getting the 96 hour time applied to our row in the spreadsheet automatically or will we have to register for each event as a ‘no-fly’?

Yes, an automatic 96:00:00 “completion” time will be applied to any unfinished legs for everyone who completes at least one event of the Endurance Race Series.

1 Like

Updated the OP with a link to the charity fundraising campaign specific to this event! We can now track how much money we collectively raise for Médecins Sans Frontières / Doctors Without Borders as a community! <3

https://events.doctorswithoutborders.org/campaign/MSFS-Paris-Dakar-Rally-2021

The registration deadline is one week from today! Don’t forget to sign up in time if you’re intending to participate in this community charity event! :slight_smile:

For anyone looking for some regionally-appropriate cuisine while you’re flying the Paris-Dakar Rally, Chief Flight Attendant FactualGull has prepared the following menu consisting of a French breakfast, a Spanish lunch, and a Moroccan dinner. Feel free to prepare these dishes yourself or order in from local restaurant(s) serving these dishes.

2 Likes

Updated the OP with this info:

Prize
MSFS Community Manager @Jummivana has agreed to generously donate one (1) Orbx Landmarks Paris City Pack to the winner of the event! Thanks so much for your support, Jayne! <3

1 Like

Hi everyone,

I’ll be hosting a live Paris-Dakar planning session on my Twitch channel on Thursday, June 24 starting at 8pm ET / 5pm PT / 0000Z to discuss this event. I’ll be reviewing the event rules, responding to questions from chat, and discussing some different flight planning tools available to sim pilots that you may want to use for this race. Following the Q&A, feel free to stick around for a multiplayer group flight. See you then!

1 Like

Reminder that the registration deadline is 2359Z today. Be sure you complete your registration form if you’re planning to race in this event next week. :slight_smile:

1 Like