Periodic black out with HP Reverb G2

I was going to post about this issue but found this thread. Getting random intermittent blackouts in my G2 but no CTD thankfully. Running the latest Nvidia driver. Immersion breaking no doubt. Will try lowering the headset volume see if that helps…

For me the solution was to fix the cable on the headset with two or three plastic cable binders.

Background: The HP cable clip is of no use and the cable itself pretty heavy so I also had this black screen occasionally until I noticed that the heavy cable is slowly dragging the HDMI connector out of its socket. I pushed it back into the socket to make sure it´s stable and then installed the binders besides the original cable clip of HP.

No problems anymore since 6 weeks - hope this helps.

1 Like

I have the same blackout issues on my pc though in my case, I don’t use the G2 headset speakers but my Bluetooth speakers. The blackout occurred on the ground mucking around taxing in the snow slopes near Courchevel.

It took me about 2 hours of troubleshooting to get my headset to even work with WMR.

I had error code 7-14 with WMR portal on every USB port that was running off my motherboard- the headset only works if I run off a USB port via my monitor’s hub.
As today was my first day with the G2, hp support told me the problem was my MSI RX 6800 Gaming X Trio was no on the minimum spec sheet so it’s not a supported video card (even though the spec sheet lists some RX5xxx cards). I found forum posts showing There are many other x570 users with USB problems with the G2

_https://www.reddit.com/r/HPReverb/comments/jsqks8/hp_reverb_g2_issue_error_code_714/

I have:
Updated to latest BIOS, drivers, windows update, msfs, everything I can think of.

MSI MAGx570 Tomohawk WiFI
AMD R5 5600X
MSI RX 6800 Gaming X Trio
32GB 3600 RAM with XMP enabled
Openxr dev tools setting to 85% render scaling,
Most of msfs vr graphics setting are on to medium or high

I have run the same pc with msfs in vr mode using my oculus quest (gen1) via oculus link cable without blackout or USB issues. nb the quest doesn’t use the WMR nor MS OpenXR software but rather the Oculus Link software.

While I have no solution to the blackouts I suspect it’s related to the USB and the long cable design of the G2 headset.

I’m running a G2 with an I7-8700K and GTX 1080TI. I do occasionally get black screens, usually when coming to a stop after landing. With my settings (I run OpenXR at 50% scaling, no reprojection, TAA 100% scaling in sim and most settings at medium), I can hold over 30 fps and it is entirely playable. I do get some stuttering.

My working hypothesis for now is that the black screens are just an extreme form of stuttering rather than a G2 hardware issue, at least for me. It is possible that there are also some hardware issues out there, but I’m not yet convinced that they are causing MY black screen issues.

Hopefully, future MSFS updates will be revealing.

When it blacks out is that grey screen? Just wondering.
I have the Index and I get grey screens.

Cheers,
PACO572

Perhaps I might be jumping the gun here, but I have been flying for over 30 mins after the latest download and the blackout problem hasn’t occurred once. So, something has been changed for the better. Fingers crossed it keeps working.

Have the same issue (HP Reverb G2), doesn’t happen very often, maybe once or twice in a 2hour flight. Definitely not related to sound, as I use headphones and not the Reverb headset speakers.
Z390 MB and 457.30 drivers 2080ti and 64gb Ram

I spoke too soon! Earlier on today the dreaded blackout occurred once again. So it hasn’t gone away; however, something has definitely changed. I have been experimenting with the order of connection and it sometimes works. I know when it’s going to work when I see several small white balls flying around in a close circle inside the headset. I find all this so frustrating.

Im having the same problem too. Really irritating. When the black screen occurs it changing the volume to 100% and back to my set volume level, before it comes back on. This lead me to beliving there is something with sound/drivers.
I deactivated the speakers on the headset in the settings, and only run from my headphones, and i think the problem has become less frequent, but enough to be unplayable. No one has any fixes?

I had the same issue. Maddening. And it wasn’t just MSFS, Squadrons too. Would even happen with sound muted.

After trying everything on earth, I finally opened a ticket with HP. They didn’t even ask me to troubleshoot–just sent me a box to return the unit and said they’d send me a new one, which would “definitely” fix my problem.

That’s the good news. The bad news is that a week later I got an email telling me to expect a replacement unit in mid-March.

@Knutflatoy, it really rubs me the wrong way to see people constantly misusing, abusing even, the word “unplayable”. A few weeks ago, my sim had an issue that truly did make it unplayable. That issue is that it would not start, ever, under any circumstances. I ended up spending quite a bit of money repurchasing FS licenses to get it fixed (which REALLY rubbed me the wrong way, and still does), but it did work, and my technical problem, whatever it was, went away.

My point is this- no matter how many times your headset is experiencing the black screen problem (which you didn’t even bother detailing), it’s not making your sim “unplayable”. Mine does it, and while it seems like the frequency has gone down, it’s still once or twice a day. (Though that’s not a lot in “per hour” terms because I spend so much time using my device pretty much every day.) That’s “mildly annoying”, but nowhere near “unplayable”.

My $0.02. First world problems, I guess.

To save me from having to figure this out myself, in the event I decide to go down the RMA road, how do I open said ticket with HP? (Sorry, just being lazy, and since you already went down that road, well…)

Of course, if I do, unless it gets much worse than it is, or some other HW issue pops up, I’ll probably give it a few months to let inventory levels normalize. I’ve got until pert near the end of the year before my warranty expires anyway…

I got you. Maybe i should have used the word “unbearable for me”. The screen went black for aprox 40 sec every time, every 2 minutes of flying.

I fixed the problem by unplugging it from my pci- usb c, and plugged it in to my powered usb 3.0 hub by using the adapter. I got zero problems with black screens anymore. Still not using the buildt in speakers tho.
So to anyone with black screen problems, maybe this will fix it for you :slight_smile:

@Knutflatoy, I’m giving that a shot. I never had issues with my HMD going blank for 40 seconds, it was limited to 1-2 seconds when it happened, but I did occasionally get boot errors that required either reseating the cable, or just rebooting again to clear. Hopefully with the power supplemented port, those will go away, too. Only time will tell, as the frequency of that happening was rather low, and completely random. But if I go, say, the next 2-3 weeks and it doesn’t happen even once, then it might be safe to say that it worked.

On an unrelated note, when you respond to someone or quote them (or even just want their opinion on something you are about to say), you may want to tag them so the Forum software notifies them. In this case, it’s not a super active thread (like say, the one about last week’s patch) so I caught your response pretty easily, but were it a busy thread, I may not have. My rule of thumb is if in doubt, tag them, because it takes no time or effort, and may alert them to something they may otherwise not be aware of.

Which is why I tagged you on this post.

My workable workaround was now also to not use the G2 speakers but separate headphones. Anyway produces the much better sound for me, since they run through equalizer and headphone amp. (I need the bass).

With that, there are no more blackouts anymore in my case.
In my case it was reproducably the too loud/too much bass sound issue.

Just a bit more hazzle of “strapping” myself in to and out of the various “head” devices …
So I try avoid switching too often between VR and RR (real reality).

Interestingly, I’ve had the opposite experience. I’m going backwards and forwards trying various suggestions - none of which seem to have had any effect. Hopefully it’ll get sorted out soon because I think it’s the headset that’s faulty.

I just clicked around the HP website. The support was through chat on the website.

Your headset is pulling to many 'G’s… :flushed:

Yep, same issue here (i9-10900K, RTX 3090, not that it seems relevant). It’s pretty infrequent, and only last for a couple of seconds, but it’s annoying as hell - especially if it happens at a critical stage of the flight (which has happened a couple of times).
I don’t get the weird sound volume issue some are reporting.

I’ve raised the issue with HP but they keep asking me to check various things but with no success. I still suspect it’s a software issue but finding the cause seems to be taking rather a long time.