Pilot's lounge - What did you do in MSFS today?

Maybe check these out…

https://www.aopa.org/training-and-safety/online-learning/safety-spotlights/mountain-flying/flying-in-the-mountains

2 Likes

Oh that’s rad I didn’t even think about specialized instruction! keeps these links in the back pocket for later on

Love the thread on "What did you do in MSFS today? However, sometimes there’s a pic of a plane that I can’t identify…but I would love to have in my stable. This usually occurs when there’s a payware plane or a special livery or “something” that is very special about the craft.
Please tell us the specific name of the plane you are showing in this great thread, so that we may also attain it if we like it.
Thanks.

2 Likes

I would highly recommend this book:
“Mountain, Canyon, and Backcountry Flying”
by Amy L Hoover and R.K. “Dick” Williams

https://www.amazon.com/Mountain-Canyon-Backcountry-Flying-Hoover/dp/1619547414/ref=sr_1_1?__mk_es_ES=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&crid=1G3B46EIV8ZNC&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.8Q40kgzbFDMTJYlQRud0Cbok_hrndIWAf9_vwKOFRbGhsd697lA00tvmgnwX2omk_hd6J-Z-SW112kzRsPYMgsGJQfcTgwSA6e9mRtBXUEIwseJHKGYaGQsiLylhqqNh0Mzl410bbb8alGZXWx4p2d0Iyiagm60qQx6NPzI2gh9rB318KAMf6lD_bH4pML8CVP2I1A6T8bRp0ghl49bWIsQvsXaKC7ffYTlW9imAPdfZlqNoBhUjRf5JUNLFN7mzBiMSMXeTMWfK1Nxs-YGUdcpV2fZPbSUfeoMiGyyrgl0.keV5UgfTXcQBTeadnvETzbDK4tB1CRerPs6LEOck7zA&dib_tag=se&keywords=flying+backcountry&qid=1716482838&sprefix=flying+backcountry%2Caps%2C69&sr=8-1

3 Likes

Which plane do you mean? I usuall fly either the Citation Longitude, the HondaJet, the Cirrus Vision Jet or the L39C Albatros “Drop Bear”

1 Like

I don’t mean YOUR planes, necessarily. I’m talking about the entire thread. Some days I can identify the specific plane in the photo, and there are others that are obviously payware or planes I don’t have. I would enjoy if the author of that particular set of photos would just mention the plane in his photos. That would be helpful information that I’m sure everyone would love to know.

Oh sorry for the confusion. As for your issue, I absolutely agree, it would be a great help browsing through the topic to be able to easily identify aircraft on the screenshots.

I can feel that fate coming too… I got a 1TB M2 SSD saying half of it for MSFS and other half for other games, but it’s a constant battle to keep about 100GB free…

1 Like

Yes, definitely much easier in TBM that is more powerful, can fly higher and has better anti-ice systems. It took me 3 hours 40 minutes.
However, DA62 is dual engine so it could feel a bit safer (at least IRL). I was thinking that loosing single engine over freezing ocean would be deadly.

2 Likes

I’m answering here, so we won’t derail the other topic. I think you should first do a few flights with it in 2D. Sometimes BATC just won’t understand a simple line and keeps asking back to repeat, so I was taking some chances doing that flight. Once you get the hang of it I think it’s safe to jump back to VR, but still, be aware that you might need the BATC window no matter what.

I hope the VR window for BATC is not far off. That would make it a lot easier.

Good idea re moving the conversation - I should have PM’ed or this forums version of that.

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts and experience. Some 2D flights would make the most sense, I just forget it’s even a sensible option for some situations as I’m always in VR.

With the newer price model I think I may just go for it as I’ve never been fully satisfied with the in game ATC.

Thanks again

I think BATC as it is now is still better than stock ATC. It has ways to go, for example you cannot request a different approach, does not yet have traffic etc. But sadly having vatsim coverage from A to B requires you to adapt to online controllers and then you still need luck so they won’t log off before you get there. When all things click nothing beats vatsim, but BATC is a convenient next best thing

1 Like

Vatsim has always sounded like an incredible setup and one that I’ve thought would be the long term goal. With only a very basic knowledge of the correct terminology and procedures, plus the fact you’re dealing with real, and experienced, simmers I’d been looking at ‘offline’ options such as BATC and others with a greater basis in reality than the in game ATC as gentle pathway towards looking more seriously at Vatsim.

I’ve also read other Vatsim users say what you just have regarding BATC as a ‘filler’ for when Vatsim isn’t an option. So it sounds like that, alongside the continuing development, will give BATC some longevity regardless of what I end up using in MSFS.

Really appreciate your experiences, thanks

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/what-did-you-do-in-msfs-today-part-2/553275/6832?u=tuffbull7923

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/what-did-you-do-in-msfs-today-part-2/553275/6829?u=tuffbull7923

I do have this same issue, however if I Alt+F4 out while “checking for updates” and then restart the sim, then it loads up fine. Absolutely annoying, but at least it works for me.

And I hope you pulled flight recorder circuit breaker after landing. NTSB will likely want to have a look at those records.

1 Like

You know I forgot! Probably not much on it though I don’t talk to myself that much! :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Yes, it is the official release by PMDG three days ago.

With my PC, it has better performance than Fenix A320 and PMDG 737.

Thanks!

I have just done some test flights the 777, so far very smooth. However, I tested without other 3rd-party apps like: GSX, PACX, FS2Crew, AIG Traffic…and at some regional airports only: the performance is very good, I can feel the smooth, especially when panning the camera view. The CPU performance is much better and smoother than Fenix A320, that I flied most up to now.

1 Like

Started a 236 leg country world tour.

2 Likes

I’ve never had the luxury of trying VR for flightsim but I did many years ago get to fly a heli IRL, and had a go at unsuccessfully hovering it. I agree, flying these things on a flat screen (and I don’t even have head tracking) is really really hard.

You’re spot on about it being very difficult to know how high you are off the ground, which makes hovering and landing much more difficult. I love the 145 here because it has a radio altimeter, so you can steal a quick glance at the number every now and again which really helps.

Also I totally agree about the flying backwards thing! I think it’s because as you descend the picture makes it look like you are moving forwards, and without side peripheral vision the brain gets confused and so you naturally start flying backwards to compensate. I’m sure sufficient 2D practice will eventually overcome this.

1 Like

That first photo looks like a LEGO set :slight_smile: I can’t see any building bricks, but still that was my first impression.