Please Fix Photogrammetry and/or LOD

Chicago indeed looks horrible. I do testflights coming from KGYY every few weeks since release and after passing the ridiculously huge AI-constructed warehouses and factories along the south coast of Lake Michigan it now gets worse when the Chicago skyline comes in sight. It’s a show of brown peaks and pyramids. It looks absolutely horrible and is a mess.

4 Likes

Since the update I found I could push the LOD to 200 without becoming a slide show as would have been the case previously. There’s still a hit but nowhere near as much so I suggest you experiment.

The problem is not only the range here, the problem is the new rendering technique that they have applied…

3 Likes

I think a lot of the photogrammetry cities are like that, at least Salt Lake is the same. You see nothing but the bare slope where downtown sits until 10 miles out then suddenly a mass of garbled polygons pops in that barely resembles the skyline for another 5-6 miles. That’s with almost everything on ultra, sliders maxed, etc.

1 Like

True, the photogrammetry resolution gets better the more you close in. Last poppings appear as close as around 1 mile.
Maybe the current photogrammetry data fidelity isn’t that well suited at all for some places.

I think the popping will be fixed by better modelling and DX12 when we get it but realistically better photogrammetry can only come from Bing.

3 Likes

If the photogrammetry looks rubbish up close, then the imaging data need to be updated. If it looks fine up close but rubbish further away, that can be adjusted in the software, but probably not by us.

4 Likes

I’ve tested this, but always when i start the sim the value for terrain and object lod gets set back to 2.00000 in the usercfg.opt ? really strange…

Mark the file as read only. I think it only gets overwritten if you visit that options page, though.

1 Like

Yes and I understand why but under the circumstances it’s something I think they should change with perhaps an undo function. Maybe once all the dust has settled and everyone knows what works for them they can adjust the settings page to suit the new performance levels.

1 Like

yes this, at venice and other italian cities its very good.
its the source data.

1 Like

Try Strasbourg, it pretty much blew me away when I saw it.

You have to set in properties Read only for the usercfg.opt file or the game will change it to what you select in the menu. And if you go and make other changes after the fact you will have to change it back to no Read only.

1 Like

thanks on this way it works.

We’re not getting what we see in the trailers, that’s for sure. Then again, if you pay attention to some of the video/photo’s they release that look amazing, everything is up close. If you were to show a video or photo of terrain further away (about 3000ft and higher) everything looks blurry.

6 Likes

Setting LOD to 400% in the cfg file helped me to get rid of the pyramids of Gizeh in NYC.

2 Likes

Some good news on improving LOD draw distances and high altitude blurriness… fingers crossed!! Part 1 of our top 5 bug thread is hopefully going to get better.

2 Likes

Photogrammetry draw distance since SU5 is still reduced in hotfix 1.18.15.0.

The Manhattan buildings are not visible at terrain LoD 200 from KJFK RW04R for example.

When will this be fixed?

Pre-SU5

SU5

1 Like

I have the impression, that LOD pop-in, especially photogrammetry pop-in, is even more severe after the latest hotfix. When I fly towards New York from JFK (as seen in your pictures, SubtotalGuide81), the ground is building up details so noticibly, it’s extremely distracting. I really welcome the performance improvements in SU5, but the price in reduction of picture quality is just too much. The game isn’t enjoyable anymore, from a picture quality point of view.

This is possibly the most distracting thing ever since release, even beyond the stutter and freezes, at least before it looked good when looking towards the horizon, low altitude scenery flying in or around near any city is like Egypt, pyramid building literally less than 2-3 miles in front probably even less, it’s real bad. Then there’s the high altitude flying, you literally have a perfect circle beneath your plane of perfect cclarity of ground, then outside the circle is like FS1998, blocky, low resolution and just all in all terrible, the perfect circle leads me to think it’s obviously something somewhere in the settings over any sort of restriction of download or anything like that.

3 Likes