PMDG 737 development was stopped for few weeks, announcements on release date on hold

This is not good at all.

Maybe I am overly pessimistic but I interpret RRs post as the 737 is a VERY long time away. I doubt we’ll see it even during 2022.

2 Likes

They did that with SU5. Then they changed it and released it.

Lets look at it this way, IF Asobo work closely with PMDG and assist them with their requests, then not only does the sim improve for us, it opens the gates a bit wider to let in other studios with equally quality offerings with hopefully shorter timescales due to the work that PMDG and Asobo have done together on the SDK / API / Development Toolset.

I know it comes across as a negative, but for the broader picture, I think its positive for us simmers in the long run, IF Asobo support it, which I really hope they do and cannot see any reason why they would not.

The only negative potentially is how long will it take them to review / implement the requests.

3 Likes

Hopefully a bit of a wake up call for Asobo. And time they get their act together.

Worst MSFS news for me to date as I have missed flying both the 737 & 747 in P3D including VR.
Seems reasonable to assume this means a substantial delay and worth re-installing P3D.

1 Like

This is an entirely fair comment. Perhaps it’s time though for some considerable focus on the core functionality of the sim and clearing up the tech debt incurred after such a long period of rushed updates?

5 Likes

Which I think was the premise behind SU6, and SU7. My personal feeling is they should drop the idea of these world updates until the sim is in a better state. Every update that gets pushed out that does not directly improve the core features of the the sim is a missed opportunity. The world updates are nice, and all, but far less important in my humble opinion. We have bugs that have been lurking around since release.

To put it another way, put the PMDG 737, and a future world update to a vote, and see which way the community swings.

7 Likes

I thought PMDG’s requirements were a priority for Microsoft and Asobo, given their reputation and their partner status. Based on Robert’s recent communication this does not seem to be their case. Do we need to focus Microsoft’s attention towards PMDG’s requirements by voting?

4 Likes

The World Updates aren’t generally what breaks the sim (except when they include sim updates as well). As others have said before, the World Updates are by separate teams, so are you proposing they sack them as they won’t have anything to do for a few months?

For me, the sim has become so much more stable in the last two sim updates, before I used to get CTDs regularly, sometimes within less than 30 minutes of flying. I think I’ve only had one in the last 30 hours since the updates, which is back to how it was before WU3 came out.

As for the vote, I think you might find it swings towards World Updates. Sure, there are a lot of people desperate for the 737, but there are also a lot who have no interest in either airliners or complex aircraft.

I think people need to stop getting so worked up by PMDG’s statement, the 737 will be out next year. Probably by end of Q1.

1 Like

It’s over, Reinstalling P3D :wink:

1 Like

Not at all. They can continue to work on the world updates, just don’t interrupt the core sim update cadence. That would give them more time to polish the world updates.

The opposite case could be made though. That by having a SU separated by a WU allows more testing time for an SU, which is a fair argument also. I wonder though whether time is ever going to be a factor for the SU’s.

I think a large part of the problem is with the testing, they invite beta testers to report issues and then totally ignore them. They seem to dislike delaying the release of an update, and would rather release it broken than delay it - which is the Agile way of project management - not good for your reputation when you get it wrong though.

3 Likes

You guys need to think about how business works. I think PMDG are looking for excuses to not release it and MS/Asobo provides many. If PMDG really had their 737 90% done or something like that they could release it and provide updates as time goes on to enable missing functionality that doesn’t work or doesn’t exist in the sim.

Based on what I see PMDG just isn’t nearly as far along as you all have been led to believe.

1 Like

I got the same impression. But hey, if it works and Asobo finally opens up development to third parties, so be it.
Honestly we don’t need a patch every few months nor we need locked systems, what we need is stability and tools for developers to create easily.

Asobo needs to check their priorities.

4 Likes

An interesting development and we see what happens with iniBuilds aircraft, are they going to have the same issue?

Personally I will be buying both PDMG and iniBuilds releases on this platform.

PMDG’s frustration is directly related to our frustration - updates that cause significant problems, and then glacial momentum on the part of MS and Asobo to resolve them. The issue isn’t updates as such - though updates are naturally destablizing, just ask any X-Plane developer - but the lack of quality control on the front end (the most troublesome updates seem to happen when there’s a big commercial release like XBox or Game of the Year) and an inadequate patching process on the back end.

As I’ve posted recently elsewhere, I find a lot to love in MSFS but I’m losing faith in MS and Asobo’s ability to deliver on quality control or to resolve persistent problems that get in the way of realism. Beginning to think about alternatives. My take right now is that P3D is a bit long in the tooth, but when X-Plane 12 comes along - knowing all the adventures that can happen in X-Plane - I’m inclined to take a look at it.

8 Likes

True, it’s a good old Catch 22.

1 Like

Apart of the real normal operating situations for a 737 they must take into account another specific MSFS situations like this one:

Ahum… I was a forum moderator on Compuserve for Flightsimulator and it had daily more posts than this forum. And yes I am an old ■■■■.

Mathijs Kok
Aerosoft

14 Likes

Welp, this just literally ruined my day. The sim is just not fun for us airliner pilots – the FBW 320 is great, but how many times can you just fly this without desperately wanting something new to learn and master? And we can’t ever get the 787 to be improved upon because of some ridiculous MS/Asobo excuse of the plane being encrypted/locked.

This s*cks… and it’s a bit frustrating to be very honest. MS Asobo, you’ve got a lot to figure out and i just don’t understand how a developer can be pretty confident a plane is coming out in Q4 to now they have no idea when it will come out.

Not happy.

3 Likes