[Polls] World Update XI: Canada Discussion

Thanks for that, didn’t realize it doesn’t auto install.
So then you are saying to uninstall Canada-3D PG cities if I don’t like the results…I’ll check it out and see how it goes.

1 Like

I flew there before WUXI and CYZF did have tower ATC. Have you tried changing the simulator time to test it?

Yes, it was there before I installed WU XI because I would fly there regularly. Thanks. I filed a bug with Asobo.

1 Like

Will we ever get the option to download a WU but have the choice to use it or not?
A real Addon manager like the Addon Linker from flightsim.to ?
I know we PC-Nerds do not need it (although I know some guys who would need it!) but it would be a great addition for our X-Box friends!

There is a wish on this:
https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/enable-and-disable-community-and-marketplace-content-without-uninstalling/384674

Giving the number of votes, it doesn’t seem to be what a lot want? :person_shrugging:

You are correct, it would be great for Xbox console users.

Yeah some areas are better than others, I’ve also flown through some nice scenery, but there are areas in Canada where the scenery is sparse to the extreme.

My screenshot was taken at N54°58.12’ W121°4.52’.
But there also other suspect areas like those such as:

which is along the Rockies bush trip, at Amethyst Lakes (sorry I didn’t write down the coordinates), or:

which is at N51°47.53’ W117°19,40’.

Check your data settings, and that you have Bing texture streaming enabled.

Is that structure La Setas de Sevilla, it looked pretty good back in October 2020

But yeah those open structures do cause issues. What is needed for PG is what Blackshark AI does for top down aerial imagery. A clean up / recognition pass. Straighten out buildings, remove noise, fill in holes, clear out the underside of bridges. Then optimize flat surfaces. It’s like we’re getting the raw data without any checks :confused:

2 Likes

The whole sim looked good in 2020.

3 Likes

I have been exploring the Canada scenery and I have to say that I have been enjoying it. Most of the issues that I have found have been the ones that I have seen already mentioned in this post/poll, Toronto, Vancouver, Montreal, the Welland River south of Niagara Falls, etc. I am hoping that since the Asobo moderators have said that they are looking at this forum that the problems will be addressed. If they are then I think Canada will be well represented in the program. One issue that I have not seen mentioned yet is the scenery around Calgary which is apparent in the featured Landing Challenge for this city. The city of Calgary and the airport actually look pretty good from what I have seen. Just east of Calgary where the Landing Challenge begins however the scenery has a very unnatural green hue to it. It is so green that it almost looks like it is alien. I realize that Asobo has to work with the satellite imagery that is available, but it would be nice if there was a way to turn down the green tint in the image used here so that it more closely matched the neighboring scenery around Calgary. When you look at the screenshot that I took of the area you can see in the image that even the roads and ponds are green.

2 Likes

Yeah, I was hoping the green tint around Calgary would be fixed, but Sigh!

2 Likes

Canada’s Wonderland is also included in RomanDesign’s freeware Toronto Enhancement pack on flightsim.to and it looks great. Honestly, that brings so much great stuff to Toronto. Now, it’s likely a little out of date since it’s about 2 years old at this point, but it’s better than default and looks a lot better than what WU11 brought to the sim.

Regarding Calgary… The green tint is weird and when photogrammetry begins it gets pretty obvious and immersion breaking. Photogrammetry seems very recent, but it has the same low quality melted look that you see in other cities. Lots of flying artifacts, very ugly buildings, etc. The main issue to me is that photogrammetry has this weird muddy, grey color that makes everything looking like it was shot after a war or something. It needs color correction. This Canada update, at least regarding photogrammetry, feels a lot more like a downgrade to me, to be honest.

6 Likes

Ahh finally found a few hours to update CM and download Canada WO from the Marketplace.

Here is something remarkable I found… if you don’t like continuous fan noise or wasting electricity, tip: go Content Manager while downloading, don’t stay in de marketplace for your download, don’t go main menu. Your GPU must render the 3D background of the menu and marketplace… and it (still) takes a zillion FpS to do that. The Content Manager does not have a 3D background, so it is silent,

There was a new feature added in Sim Update 10 to change this. Go to Options → General Options → Experimental and set “Low Power Mode” to ON.

Thanks,
MSFS Team

1 Like

Good to know… I’ll try it out on the next download. Btw the description does not really make sense, I don’t want a new window, I want a silent fan while the download is going.

Zenith CH 720 Amphibian over Green Island Lighthouse POI, Canada

2 Likes

Ignore that description. My mouse was hovering over the “Add new render window” button when I took the screenshot.

Did some extensive flying around the Montreal area over the last few days. I would never have guessed that so many houses up there have swimming pools in their yards. :smiley:

I don’t think that’s the problem, unless I’m missing something: everything is on.

And I don’t get those sparse textures anywhere else I usually fly (USA/Europe).

1 Like

7 years ago stats were that in Québec we had 1 pool / 16 person (Florida 1/18 - California 1 /32)

2 Likes