Possible fix for improving the graphics after SU5

I’ve noted this in previous updates, it’s a constant reduce of RAM and VRAM usage. I don’t know why it’s hard to admit (on the part of Asobo) that all these steps are necessary (reducing the visual quality on the PC to make the “experience” equal to the XBox). Despite all the claims that “nothing will be changed” in this direction (starting with trees_lod and so on) I find it a bit “unfair” to us Alpha, Beta, and “first time buyers” because we are treated like donkeys (to put it a bit harshly). Either you say “yes, it’s like that” and that’s it. Why not just PC and XBox version, with other titles there are visual differences in the quality?

2 Likes

I wonder if this is why my CPU spikes when I pan left and right

I can be crusing with 60+ fps with my cpu cores at 60% but if I pan left or right fast EVERY CPU core spikes to 100% causing my frames to drop to 20 fps whilst it eventualy builds back up to 60+ again!

If I pan slowly it’s the cpu cores increase but not spike

This is my exact issue, as I suffer from the bug that my settings do not apply when I fire up my sim, but only after switching preset in the graphic settings page. Means: all UserOpt.cfg tweaks are unavailable atm for me, bummer.

I don’t notice much differences making these tweaks

Not much, but in my case turning off the “sharpen” and instead using the nVIDIA sharpening via driver is way better and results in less shimmering of trees and objects in distance. Then, turning off other post processing rubbish like vignette, colorgrading, fringe and all those things turning the image in something to much movie like (for my taste) is also nice to have.

Don’t get me wrong, it does not decide on whether or not to use the sim, it is just details that make the image better in my opinion. And sadly, that is currently not possible due to this setting bug I have…

1 Like

10900k / 3090 / 64g / 4K
And this is what I’m getting. Unbelievable!

1 Like

Thanks for this thread!

Editing the usercfg.opt has been around for a while of course, and it has been discussed in many threads concerning SU5.
But this is the first time someone made an effort to collect the ideas how to improve the graphics and give some concrete advice on what settings to change and also gives some examples.

Thank you very much!

same here, no difference at all. beacon towers are still invisible until you are less than 20mt from them so LODs haven’t changed.

we shouldn’t be going through these hassles to make graphic setting changes, it doesn’t make any sense.
if I wanted to be a sysadmin/tester for asobugs platform then I’d apply as a sysadmin/tester in asobugs.
working with low-level cfg files in 2021 is anachronistic.

the only setting I found so far that can restore a bit of previous quality is bumping a bit render scaling, I used to have it at 120 now I have to use 150.

LODs remain broken though.

ps: I can confirm the VRAM and RAM limits, been doing some testing in LEBL, LEMD and LOWS, with live weather, AI and no rolling caches.
These are my most hardware intenstive scenarios and I couldn’t get system RAM above 7.2GB, so now I have about 23GB as spare.
VRAM never went past 6GB and only in short spikes, it will decrease to 3-4 as soon as I change view focus.

this is what happens when you vertically limit your software to run on a microwave without allowing for a dynamic usage of resources depending on the platform it is running.

:slowclap:

9 Likes

Fully optimised for the cpu and gpu capabilities of the console

Something they promised wouldn’t happen in the Q&A pre SU5

I’ve returned to xplane until we get back to how it was before,

Took off rway 22 at jfk just now, can’t even see the city skyline anymore
My hype for the upcoming pmdg/QW/fenix etc are all gone now

And before anybody mentions lowering my settings, my system is more the capable of running as it was

5900x
64GB 36000 MHz
Rtx 3090

3 Likes

just look at the state of this :frowning:

2 Likes

Jeez, you’ve got something seriously wrong. You are using an SSD right? I swear two things that really matter is an SSD and a decent router. I don’t care how fast a persons internet is, if I you don’t have a decent router you may get results like that.

2 Likes

I honestly appreciate all the hard work folks are doing to come up with fixes. That’s one of the saddest parts: the users have to resolve issues made by Asobo. EVEN on the closed MS platform XBox. Their own game on their own hardware running their own OS: nope…doesnt work.

2 Likes

I have a very fast ssd yes, and my router is aftermarket tlink, which has never been a issue speeds of 100mbs and hard wired :man_shrugging:

Actually OS usually stores them in local cache, the temp files or in virtual page file. It completely depends on the OS. Now to your questions.

What happens if that particular texture file is NEEDED NOW to create a frame?
Based on what i saw pre SU5. Previously the memory footprint for the sim is not 6.8 Gb, it is way much higher than that. Therefore the sim downloads the texture from the server, OS puts it in the temp cache, then CPU loads it into your RAM.

Now since the memory footprint is higher, it can load more textures. For e.g. assume 5 nm radius of all object textures and ground textures are loaded into the RAM. And these textures are NOT removed when you pan the camera, they retain these textures on the RAM as long as you are circling within that 5 mile radius.

Now as soon as you start moving away from that area, the sim unloads the textures behind you and starts downloading and loading the texture ahead of you. Again this changes based on the direction your aircraft is flying. And this is how most of the open world games work.

BUT, now on the latest SU5, your RAM is limited to 6.8 GB, therefore the first problem is that you cannot load more textures into your RAM, therefore the sim cannot load textures for 5 mile radius, instead let us say 1mile radius. Therefore the sim is now loading the texture only towards the area where your camera is pointed at and not everything around you. Once you move the camera, they are unloading/deleting the textures completely from the RAM to free up space to load the new textures to where your camera is pointing now. This is happening everytime you PAN around. Now when you again move the camera back to the previous position, the sim again downloads and load the texture eventhough it was previously downloaded but now deleted, during this process the blurriness is introduced, since everytime it needs to download the texture again and load it into the memory. You can check this yourself by opening the taskmanager->performance tab and look for network activity everytime you pan your camera. You will a sharp spike in network activity everytime you pan around.

But fortunately, this is not the case when rolling cache is enabled. Because when rolling cache is enabled, the textures are stored locally on your disk, therefore the sim need not have to download the textures from the server, everytime you pan around.

Have you enabled rolling cache?.

There is no limit in VRAM, my self has up to 12-13 Gb usage. I even can go up to 16 GB, but then my fps drops under 40.

1 Like

Where do you see this information?. Can you post a screenshot if possible?

From the AMD overlay application. Big cities give me as I said 12-13 GB. Rural areas between 9-10. Flying real high decreases to about 8 GB of usage. If I crank up the settings to max, it goes beyond that, but then I cannot fly anymore smoothly.

1 Like

that overlay application probably takes into account the global VRAM load, OS included.
please use the ingame tool.

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/sim-update-v-1-18-13-0-bug-megathread/426509/446

Your AMD software is broken :wink:

Check ram usage via dev mode and fps - on.