Post SU9 Thoughts on Clouds & Weather (it's not what you think)

I FREAKING LOVE THE CLOUDS in Sim Update 9. Asobo, these clouds look so real. THANK YOU.

I still wish/hope you will hear several of us who are tired of the not-so-good STORM clouds in the sim. They’re too gray or dull gray when, to me, a thunderstorm is white towering clouds, sure it can be darker when it’s a big storm, but it doesn’t look like this:

However, when the light is properly shining on the clouds, they look like this, which is MUCH better and more white.

17 Likes

I agree. Still testing. Did a “toys two tools” vidy and awaiting next storm here to compare. There is potential, down the road, for some science maybe.

1 Like

Agreed sky environment looks much more atmospheric and realistic in VR.

2 Likes

I did a couple of flights earlier and had a friend drop by for a while this evening. I got him to take a flight around Hawaii.

The clouds have improved noticeably. They’re still not quite as good as they used to be, particularly in variety, but it’s looking like they’re moving in the right direction.

6 Likes

The clouds look good. I love the ground thermal effect and the resulting turbulence, it’s such a great realistic addition. The weather improvements that are needed:

• Metar/Weather smooth transition implementation specially with haze layer popping up and not transitioning
  • More realistic haze layer coverage specially the transition area
  • Cloud turbulence which seems to be very very little and needs to improve to better simulate the real life.

I like the new additions and hope the progress continues.

8 Likes

Is it just me or has the buffeting and chop become a lot more prevalent and depicted more realistically?

1 Like

I hate it. Even in zero weather, the Cessnas are being buffeted around as if there was significant turbulence. And that sudden bank to the left, even when NOT changing power, my wrist is actually sore from correcting the thing.

3 Likes

The weather is greatly improved. Flew a quick flight in the 152 around San Francisco, in gusty conditions, and it was fantastic. I have no idea what people are complaining about; airplanes move around in the air. I think a lot of people would benefit from saving up $75, going to their local airport, and taking a discovery flight, to feel the real thing.

They also improved the weather presets. Scattered is now scattered for real. High clouds is just that. Much improved.

This is a great update. Well done Asobo!!

11 Likes

I have to agree, I had reluctantly taken a long hiatus after the new weather system was updated in SU7, returned for SU8 only to get frustrated by the popcorn clouds in clear skies. After downloading the SU9 beta when it was released a month ago, I am now completely satisfied with the overall cloud fidelity and the now realistic and variable cloud formations , although I know this is highly subjective to different people; it truly hasn’t ever looked this good on console since it’s release last year.
Smooth fog/haze transitions could do with some work but regardless,

kudos where kudos is due.

1 Like

believe it or not, i didnt really see what was wrong before (maybe settings or just bad eyesight :stuck_out_tongue:)

but i can say i see the difference, looks even better than before
im not a ‘needs it to be super realistic’ guy tbh, i just like it if its close and it changes as i fly along comparably to irl, i Really love the immersion of say taking off in the morning with a cloudy/hazy mess wondering if you will even be able to ‘see’ the tiny airport your going to, only to have it end up a beautiful sunny day (this happened in a group flight was an Amazing day of fun)

I’ve had that happen too. Reaching the edge of a weather system where the overcast, or undercast, starts randomly breaking up, and the weather improves to a sunny VFR day, is very cool when that happens.

1 Like

I have flown over clouds and they look real enough to me from my memory. Maybe if you had a video of real live footage shot out the window of a plane you could SHOW what you mean? A comparison? I am just saying…saying its not dark enough etc…seems really subjective.

Agreed. A massive improvement, both visually and in terms of performance.

Hey I’ve been having the same problem a while now since SU8.
Even in low wind/gust settings…not sure if its the aerodynamics or I’m having a hardware conflict but yes its always a hard random bank to the left and I have to brace the yoke to correct it. Not sure what’s going on. You can see it here @ 24:47- 25:05 (video link is timeframed)

I abandoned live weather after SU7, I had only ever used live weather previously. After WU8 I loaded live weather once in Dublin only to be greeted by the usual dark brooding towering post-SU7-apocalyptic sci-fi volcanic columns. Trying to keep my hopes in check, will install SU9 later this evening and try again.

1 Like

currently flying over south Atlantic ocean in live weather…yet no clouds in sight for thousands of nautical miles. Is this some kind of bug that came with SU9? Satellite image shows cloud coverage yet there’s none in-game.

I did exactly the same as you, not playing anymore after SU7 due to really bad weather depiction. Hope is coming back with SU9, clouds looks really better, still need some improvements but Iooks like they are following a good path.

1 Like

Are these popcorn clouds? I took post update 9. thanks

1 Like

No they are not. You can find many popcorn clouds screenshots here: Popcorn clouds since SU8
I am not seeing popcorn clouds un SU9 or from time to time, as it can happen IRL.

3 Likes

AH ok, I see…Thanks…I thought this was the one along with the low graphics difference comparing to the other ones. Cheers

1 Like