Powerlines and solar farms, another must have freeware addon

Been using this for a while now, and I love it a lot, especially when using the Discus glider ridge soaring, it’s really nice having the orange balls in the power lines to make them easier to dodge.

15 Likes

Can’t wait for this one to expand into North America!

1 Like

I’ve only used this a few times as, in our local area anyway, it seems a bit overdone with loads of very prominent powerlines snaking all over the place and, for me, spoiling the view. Not at all realistic from the real-world point of view.
And I suspect it’s been the cause of a few CTD’s too, which are very rare on my mid-range system.

2 Likes

I only tried it briefly and had a similar feeling. I’m sure the add on is very well done but having hundreds of miles of cables running across the world isn’t a part of the true to life experience I particularly want to replicate.

I just almost clipped a few during the approach into Bari (LIBD). Loved the sight of it!

Would have probably needed to push the gate myself if I did. :wink:

2 Likes

I think its great and i like the hundreds of miles of cable strewn across the landscape, it adds a level of realism and replicates something that real pilots have to take extremely seriously.

4 Likes

I have been suspicious of this as well. I would only get CTD’s when mid flight. Its not PG, my hardware or settings. I think it could be the powerline/solar farm mod or possibly one of the VFRs…

I wouldn’t take too much notice of his opinion. Overdone he said, strewn across the landscape he said, yes just as they are in the real world actually so nothing is overdone. There is an argument to be had about them not being prototypical for countries like the UK but otherwise his comment was really just sim nimbyism.

As for performance, I doubt if they would cause a CTD mid way through a flight. They are loaded just about everywhere and if they were going to cause an issue I would expect it to crop up more or less as soon as they are loaded. The sim isnt stable at the moment, it crashes halfway through flights on Xbox even for users with no such add-on. That tells us something about the sims basic stability.

@mamuDesign Hi! Don’t know if you want to know, or wish (or able) to do anything about it, but just spotted a solar farm that has been missed. Just south of Goodwood, Chichester, UK. See attached :wink:

Unfortunately I had to stop using Powerlines and solar farms from @mamudesign. In this beta version of the sim it causes stutters in some areas (Melbourne for example). a pity It is a complement that I love.

did you report that to him?

Will try SU10 and look for any issue. unfortunately threre is little I can do, the scenery has already every kind of optimization the SDK suggested, so it should be a problem with the new sourcery they are doing in the beta…hope it is beta only!

3 Likes

Performance with this absolutely great mod already down since SU9, in SU10 Beta same issues (regular micro stuttering). Hope this can be fixed in the coming months.

I’m seeing no issues with it myself. Maybe people on DX12 are having issues given the memory management in DX12 is still a bit rough on cards with less VRAM.

1 Like

Wow this add-on is AWESOME thank you! I almost never look into scenery section of Flightsim.to so it´s nice having others testing and showcasing stuff that´s really good.

1 Like

Hi is this likely to see any updates now SU10 is out?

1 Like

Likely :blush: yes,
Not because of su10 (the add-on is full compatible) but because there are quite a few areas to fix, and I promised to do them!
The “boats” by now are sailing peacefully, a fresh tutorial is out on the yt channel, so, yeah, now I have no excuse, Powerlines are next!

2 Likes

Great thanks for the update, I noticed an area just north of Peterlee Airfield UK where the powerlines were solid straight bars instead of the normal droopy power cables.

Ah got it, the cable models are quite straight, yep.
Because of the way the whole addon is designed, I have no way to make them with a natural bend like in real life (and also the more curved, the less fps because of added geometry)

For anybody interested in, the update is now ready
Mostly bug fixes and Us overhaul

9 Likes