PSA: NVidia has found the root cause of stuttering and VR performance in their drivers!

First time I’ve noticed was on V25. On the release notes they’ve mentioned that they support 90Hz now with USB 2.0. They mentioned in the past that the bitrate will be automatic in the future, etc… so there may be some new stuff on V25 regarding encoding/decoding, etc, that is causing issues and also improving the experience in some cases. Still beta… I believe that when they release V25, it will come with a headset app update too. They are also going to integrate both apps (headset and PC), so the LINK connection is more seamless. Let’s see.

Integrate both apps? What do you mean mate?

I haven’t seen that much difference between the versions however now I’m running a great looking sim, ASW off, render scale at about 0.8 and FOV 0.65 and great performance. Can only get better!

1 Like

I dislike the res at 0.8 bit too blurry for my liking.

FOV trick is decent though

They mentioned here:

“We also want to streamline the way you access your PC library with Link. At the moment, Link substitutes the Rift interface in for the Quest interface when you plug your headset in, so we’re working on a unified system experience that will let Oculus Link users see all their Rift and Quest apps alongside each other—and access native Quest features like casting. This is coming next year.”

1 Like

Oh cool decent. Thanks man

which bitrate paremeter ? the one in Oculus Debug Tool ? Encode Bitrate ?

Yes. The one on Debug Tool. Changing that to 500 on my system causes sound stutter

1 Like

Just want to report that rolling back NVIDIA driver to 457.30 removed all the stuttering and low framerates in VR for me too. Thanks for the tip! MSFS went from unplayable to smooth in downtown Los Angeles!
I9900K, 64GB, 2TB SSD, 2070S, Oculus Rift S.

2 Likes

i dont believe to you. Same spec - same drivers - game unplayable

In game settings are probably different? Just guessing…

1 Like

May be. But i set all to low, set scale 80. And don’t see Wow game play. Shaking/jittering/glitching no smoth playing

461.09 works very good, for me it is the best version.

I had a big improvement in stutter and framerate after steam decided to reinstall the VR update again.

Run at 1080ti 80% resolution TAA high clouds medium trees and buildings. 8700k and 457.30 driver at samsung oddyssey+.

Still want a faster videocard (6800xt fits in my case).

1 Like

Latest driver working fine for me - same as previous two drivers. RTX2080Ti and Index.

With how many frames and with which settings?

I think it was around 30fps measured with fpsVR. I’m using Index at 120Hz.

Posted the settings here somewhere so I will have a look - also posted a video of a flight just to show it was possible (when lots of people were complaining and posting all sorts of unpleasant things about Asobo, just to try and calm it down).

Settings were default FS2020 VR ones, which are quite low - and I had motion smoothing on and 80% resolution in SteamVR. Reprojection was shown as averaging 70% in fpsVR.

I’ve sinced increased the res to 100% and switched motion smoothing off, but not noticed any difference when flying all prop aircraft. The add-on Virtualcol Beech 99 taxes it more, though, but still within the acceptable range, just a bit of a trip now and then whilst at an airport (but only in that model). Also tested the Carenado M20R, CT182T and Seminole with same results as default props.

Using an i5 9600k and 32GB DDR4 3200.

edit - I am slowly increasing the settings, but this news from nVidia is very encouraging - it already looks gorgeous with my medium to low settings so if it can only get better, that will be just fantastic.

You can believe whatever you want. Why should anybody lie about something so stupid? :grinning:
Did you roll back your drivers? I tell you it was a a huge difference. Also I forgot to mention that I’m running render scale 100 in VR. Outside VR I’m on 200.

1 Like

@Lassekronborg what is the render resolution displaying in the FS2020 VR Graphics Settings ? In addition, what is the post-process resolution displaying in the FS2020 developer mode fps window?

Prove your word. Show me Oculus Performance through the glass.

1 Like