Quality of Bing Ground imagery?

Is it just me or does the ground quality look really poor lately? The last few weeks of flying, ive flew, Poland, USA, UK, Germany and today France and the ground textures even from about 4000ft look really lo resolution.

Im pretty sure that wasn’t the case a month or so back, especially in UK, USA and France?

I have everything up and running again but thats bugging me.

12 Likes

It’s not just impression, it’s just the truth. The quality has dropped a lot, flying in Italy for example is disappointing. I hope they improve this.

4 Likes

Add Australia to the list. Definitely a bit sad. I’m on the Beta and was thinking it had to do with that.

3 Likes

Some posts removed. As a reminder, using streaming maps that are not Bing:

Okay. Got it.

1 Like

The only thing I’ve particularly noticed is that runways seem fuzzier than they used to when flying over them. I swear they used to be clear. Unsure about imagery quality, though. Although the last world update negatively impacted areas in the U.S. where I frequently fly with worse quality imagery than before. I’ve been debating uninstalling it for awhile now.

1 Like

Nope. It’s not just you. It’s been that way for a couple of weeks now.

4 Likes

Can’t say I’ve noticed any difference flying around Portland, Oregon and Los Angeles, California.

I believe it’s a server issue. For me, it tends to get better if I active pause and wait for the PG to fill in. Even then, the draw distance seems to be much shorter. Fly out of the range of what filled in while paused and it’s back to melted PG.

3 Likes

I’ve never seen that, but I have a good connection to the servers. :slight_smile:

My ping is usually in the 60s on the US East server. I rarely get much better than that. There are others in other threads complaining of this issue as well, however. There’s one where someone is stating their FPS is relatively high but they still get stutters. I’d bet anything those stutters are the PG downloading. Who knows for sure though. Just a semi-educated guess on my part.

1 Like

Yeah; network issues are tough, because it’s usually something in a network between your internet service provider and whereever the CDN is actually located. There’s basically 0% chance of getting useful interactions with support from your ISP about it, too. ;_;

(I’m also suspecting that the PG & texture downloads don’t come from the multiplayer servers at all, but from some http CDN that’s not reporting its ping times or packet losses in the UI. But I haven’t verified that.)

1 Like

I noticed this issue a few nights ago over the Pacific North West. I discovered that some of my display settings had been reset from Ultra to much lower settings. I am guessing that one of the updates did some resets. Resetting these back to Ultra fixed my problem.

1 Like

It has been poor since SU6 changed the slider to a max of 400.

So it effectively made bing quality 50% when it’s in the middle of the slider at 200.

so in terms of bing data quality:

Pre SU6 TLOD 200 was 100% ZL18-19 quality
If you used the .cfg edit to 400LOD previously u saw no visual change from LOD200 in terms of textures being streamed, neither did 900 improve this.
LOD 200 was the max value to get 100% quality from bing.
now after SU6 TLOD 400 is the 100% ZL18-19 quality and it effectively made LOD200 half the quality.

Simplified :

LOD 400 = previous 200
LOD 200 = previous 100
LOD 50 = previous 25
In terms of ground textures quality being streamed.

Here is the proof.

As I actually tested this I can tell you that your view is not correct. LOD400 did double the draw distance for everything except trees… However we did lose a lot of bitty details in AI such as air-conditioning on rooftops and even some elaborate churches (which thankfully seem to be making a return).

P.S. LOD 400 works pretty well on my Ryzen7 3800X, I use it often when not gliding over big cities.

Exactly this. Feels like the manual / rolling cache doesnt work at all.

1 Like

I’ve looked at imagery on Bing Maps and it looks much better than in the game recently. Also there’s plenty of places in China on Bing Maps that seem to have imagery now too that aren’t reflected at all in the game. I thought one of the big features they touted about Black shark was that the AI could easily update the maps in the game? It seems like the world and AI autogen hasn’t been touched since 2020. I’d love a world update that brings in updated Open Source Map data and Bing imagery for the whole world and also adds more variety to autogen buildings and roads.

2 Likes

The bandwidth per player has been reduced dramatically. That affects all online services, not only that one. On the other hand the amount of online services issues has also increased in accordance and now we have one of any kind almost weekly. Unfortunatelly we start to see the weakness of a game concept that initially looked good but slowly starts to turn not that good.

Cheers

2 Likes

This is Toronto, 2 screenshots from Bing Maps website (Tom Tom, Vexcel Imaging and CNES)
and 2 screenshots from MSFS. Messy images in, messy images out

Bing Maps Toronto

Bing Maps Toronto

MSFS Toronto

MSFS Toronto

I’m 99% convinced it’s a server issue. I just did 4 laps around the SF Bay in the F22 waiting on Oakland/SF to load in. My internet is wired and quite fast. It’s not me. Eventually the entire area loaded in as it should. It doesn’t matter what I set the LOD at…and my PC can handle 400 smoothly. I do it often(did prior to this).

…and I just got the message that said my bandwidth is too low to stream PG. Clean it up MS.

1 Like