Quest 2 Quality

As far as I know (limited user) It supports link, which is only three default settings as opposed to the full feature set for CV1 and Rift S

The Oculus Tray Tool is just a more convenient form of the Oculus Debug Tool, which is installed with the Oculus software. For changing settings like supersampling, ASW values, displaying the fps performance overlays, etc., they both work by the exact same means: they are just simple graphical interfaces that push short commands to the Oculus runtime when you change a setting with them. In other words, they aren’t actually doing anything, except making it easy for you to provide commands to the core Oculus software to change certain settings. The nice thing about the Tray Tool is it can store profiles for games, and apply certain settings automatically when the game launches. It also has voice commanding, so you can use your voice to bring up the FPS plot and the other performance graphs, which is really useful when you’re trying to tune game settings and see their impact.

1 Like

ott

For link aka Oculus Quest 2 PCVR, its just these 4 settings. The profiles have no effect. Its a shame as its a great tool for the Rift lineup.

Does this tool work on Quest 2? Also, how does one set super sampling settings and where is this done?

Its in the picture and post above.

Duh - my bad. Is there a way to change super sampling using the debug tool?

Yeah “pixels per display override”. Set between 1.1 and 2.0. Supports up to 3 digits i.e. 1.25. 0 is default standard display. But if your using Quest 2 you can set super sample through through the Oculus Dash - picture 2.

2 Likes

No issues for me bar the scaling on the controls ie text size.

I have a 10900k 2080 super oc 32gb ram plus quest 2 in rift mode with link.

Just to come on with a blanket this is crappy statement. Seems unfair

I flew the training ‘first solo flight’ a few times with multiple settings and these are my most ‘playable’ results - still really not great at all.

I am running a RTX 2070 Super, Intel i7, 32 GB RAM. Both CPU and GPU are overclocked.

~32 fps (varies, goes up and down), ~ -180% in performance headroom and around 20k dropped frames. Frames are being dropped at an alarming rate.

Settings:

72Hz, 1.2 SS

Oculus debug tool settings attached

That’s not correct. Anything in the Game Settings menu that works on Rift/Rift S also works with Quest if it’s connected via Link (USB). For supersampling changes, you need to exit and re-enter VR in MSFS for it to be applied.

Thanks for your settings.

I have been struggling since I got an Oculus Quest 2 with blurry textures and fps of about 25 fps. Normally in 3 screen mode I get fantastic visuals and fps well into the 40s. My system is i5 7600k (o/c), 2070S (o/c), 48 gb RAM (o/c), multiple SSDs.

I based my settings on yours. 1.2 SS, your Bit Rates and Resolution Widths but using 90 hz and fov of 0.8;0.8 and ASW 45 enabled. I am getting about 29 fps (not great but better) but the visuals are a lot clearer. It’s almost liveable with now and a good basis for some more tweaking.

Hopefully, with more optimisations from Asobo and Oculus plus even better settings by me in game and maybe in the Oculus debug tool and the sim might be good enough to stick with VR rather than my 3 PC screens.

Thanks a lot and cheers :slightly_smiling_face:

Thank you for the reply. I am a long term user of OTT but back last year when I got my Quest it was no longer helping me. My main visual que that it’s working is the SS. But even today this does not appear to have any effect on MSFS? However I can use the ASW property and see that change so I can see - as you say - it does support profiles as well. I’ll dig around some more with other titles.

For me going from force 45hz to 30hz made it much much smooth, i think the forcing asw makes sense if you’re actually render stable over that fps. Asw 30hz really means “display 2 out of 3 frames using asw” so this would lock your frame rate on the app at 24hz (72/3) and deliver smooth 72hz. I think you should use force 45hz if you’re already rendering over 36 fps (72/2)
Asw would lead to artifacts but that’s fine

1 Like

Okay, thanks, I understand the logic.

I will try that tomorrow :slightly_smiling_face:

Yep, supersampling changes definitely work. Like I mentioned above, for them to take effect, you have to change them in the Tray Tool (or the Debug Tool, works the same), and then disable and re-enable VR in MSFS. If you turn on the ‘pixel density’ display (there’s a dropdown for various displays at the bottom of the Tray Tool settings), you can see what the render resolution in the headset itself is to confirm the supersampling change has taken effect.

Yet another way you can confirm supersampling is workign is just look at what the reported resolution is on the render scaling slider in MSFS’s settings. If you keep that at the same value (e.g., 0.9x) and then change the supersampling in the Tray Tool, the resolution value it reports there will change as well, reflecting the new value due to supersampling.

1 Like

OK so for kicks I set pretty much everything to max/ultra including all vehicles, land, sea and airport. Ive used the default video recorder in the Quest 2, on my desktop the original is better than the youtube version. Its a complete flight take off and landing at Bournmeouth International with a trip around Bournmeouth and Poole. The weather is a bit grim around the airport if you jump to around 5:30 onwards its pretty nice.

Its all running at the magic 18hz on a i79800 and a 1080ti GPU. You might not get the same experience as me but you can at least see its not a slide show. Amazing really. Best to watch it on Youtube rather than in this window, dont just max the Youtube window, adjust it smaller and it should get a little sharper, its only a low res recording.

How did you go from 45hz to 30hz?

You are welcome. I really hope that Microsoft is listening and continues to improve this promising capability (VR)

Yes, me too.

Improvements can’t come soon enough either from Oculus or ASOBO.

Up until now I must admit that I have been wanting the devs to concentrate on fixing bugs and aircraft systems. And yet now I have a VR HMD I can see how immersive VR can be. It does need a lot of optimisation though in FS2020.

The oculus debug tool doesn’t expose an option for 30hz, but the oculus tray tool does. Oculus tray tool is some external app that you need to install

1 Like