Quest 2 Quality

Hi There,

Does anyone else tried to play VR with a quest 2 via link cable ?

I gave a try during the day, and the graphics quality I get into the headset seems a bit crappy.

I have a pretty nice rig, 10700k, 32Gb RAM, RTX 3070, and even with putting some VR settings at max, I don’t get any satisfying result…

Did I missed something, or do I expect too much from my headset / config ? (I’m pretty new to VR)

Can you be more specific?

If you are referring to clarity to read gauges/text at a distance then yes don’t expect to have pin sharp small text at a distance. VR has improved but it has nowhere the clarity you get with your pc monitors.

If you are referring to jerky/stuttering then your rig just isn’t setup to get the frame rates which VR needs so you don’t get motion sickness.

Many here are having performance issues but that can be expected as even without VR many are not hitting 30+fps in the sim.

Personally I am getting average 20fps on an rtx2070 laptop with spikes up to 25fps. Playable maybe, but not a very pleasant experience for VR. In another flight sim game I can get 50+fps in VR but with the quest 2 the gauges are more legible than with my cv1 but things like the radio freq in the gps are a bit of a struggle to read without moving in closer or zooming.

I use a Quest 2 via link cable, set render scale to 100 in MSFS and make sure that you have your PC Link in Oculus setup for a good resolution also. I have mine at 90Hz and Render Resolution at 1.0x (3696 x 1872). I did disable ASW (Asynchronous Spacewarp) using the Oculus Debug Tool because it made my screen look like it was melting.

1 Like

I am also with Quest 2 with Oculus Quest 2, RTX 3080. Render Scale on 100%, 1.5X and ASW disabled. Quality is very good and everything is readable. Around 30FPS in C152

And is textures quality good for you both ? To me it just looks like a game from 10years ago

I am using the Quest 2, BUT here is the catch:

I am using my compute (which is in Madrid) from the island of Tenerife through Teamviewer to launch and interact with the game and through my quest 2 to see the game by using Virtual Desktop.

Thus I am loosing a lot of quality on the way (bitrate must be terrible) but the quality is quite good inside the cockpit, the scenery outside is mediocre since the bitrate makes it blurry when I move, but otherwise I am really happy with the results!

Could anyone do a video “through the lense” like this guy did?

1 Like

The render of the textures in the headset is not that fine, if I watch the preview on my screen, the game looks pretty, but not through the lenses

Try to go through this topic as it helped me, also on a Quest 2:

2 Likes

30 fps? How can you play at that low of a FPS on a 90hz HMD?

That is extremely bad for VR, and bad for your eyes.

Oculus and Sony wouldn’t ever allow a game to release with a frame rate that low on their stores because it would cause severe motion sickness.

1 Like

Only 30 FPS ? So does this mean that your system will struggle with more complex AC even though you have an RTX 3080? Might I ask what CPU you have?

I don’t have VR so I am asking purely out of interest since now we have it for FS2020 it could be on my list of future purchases but i’m left wondering what sort of system will be needed to sim with more demanding AC :slightly_smiling_face:

I agree with you if you’re playing HLA and want to avoid a Head Crab jumping on you, or if you want to break a blue box with a light saber with the beat of a tune…

However, what matters the most is not fps but angular velocity of the pixels: if you look forward flying an airplane mostly looking horizontally, the pixels passing by and moving in view are slowly moving only (even if flying 300kts). But if you look side ways they are passing by fast because you’re looking at the pixel in a perpendicular direction.

For these reasons what matters most in Flight Simulation VR is not much fps but smoothness, which is best experienced when you get a regular xx fps value with no spikes. And in this case because the simulator is CPU bound most of the times, it is easier to keep 30fps stable in pushing some of the settings adequately, which is also one of the aspects of fine tuning the settings like I’m explaining in “My VR Settings”!

Of course if you’re doing aerobatics… forget about 30 fps…

Here is a more detailed explanation why 30 fps stable is better than 40 fps varying (and why you rather set Gauge Refresh Rate HIGH in VR).

9 Likes

I fully agree with the above

3 Likes

I recorded it today. The flicker depends on the Oculus Quest 2 refresh rate on this 90hz video.

Oculus screen refresh rate - 90 Hz
Steam VR SS-150%
The resolution of the Oculus Link-3616x1840

1 Like

What are your in-game graphic settings ?

Tip from this topic, added me today about 7 frames and a very smooth flight experience with ASW-off.

P.S. Today I ran the simulator through Oculus, rendering resolution x1. 7, 90hz . On the recording in the video, the SIM was launched via SteamVR

1 Like

I followed your settings and this VSync parameter, and it’s definitely going smoother than before, thanks for the tip !

1 Like

Using the oculus debug tool performance meter, I’m getting 30 Hz refresh rate which is unplayable. I’ve tried all sorts of settings in both Nvidia, MFS2020 and oculus and it still won’t achieve the 90 Hz required. My PC meets the requirements and have no other issues playing at 90 Hz from the most demanding Rift games. Using the MFS2020 performance meter it shows an in game performance of 30 FPS, that would be playable if the refresh rate ran at 90 HZ. In the menu in VR it shows 90 HZ, but as soon as the flight loads up it just drops to 30 HZ or less or more, but no where near the required for VR.

If you’re referring to the performance overlay, the plot on the left is the app frame rate, not your headset’s refresh rate. The plot does say Hz, but all the unit Hertz means is “cycles per second.” It might technically be more correct to label it fps on that plot but they mean the same thing in this context.

The real problem you’re having is that you aren’t able to get an app frame rate better than 30fps, which is then being interpolated by ASW up to 90fps (for the 90Hz refresh of your HMD screens). This means you already have way too little performance headroom to run smoothly, because it won’t automatically step down to 30fps until the GPU is choking and probably at 99% utilization. Start by lowering the settings of Link (the render resolution and the refresh rate) in the Oculus PC software, and set supersampling to 0. Also dial back the render resolution in MSFS, too. Only once you’ve found a starting point where your system can keep up, can you start adding other stuff into the mix to see if it kills performance. Lastly, if you’re using Quest with Link, open up the Nvidia control panel, go to the per-app settings, find MSFS, and change the Vertical Sync setting to ‘fast’. If you don’t do that, even after dialing back your settings you will still have a persistent stutter that will not go away.

I’ve tried capturing what I do get with the G2 which you might find interesting:

Smooth A320 low level flight over photogrammetry - Through the lens video with the G2 (9700K + 2070S)

PS: it is 30fps footage and it is smooth.