Random CTD after hour long flight. Possible ATC interaction?

:wave: Thank you using the Bug section, using templates provided will greatly help the team reproducing the issue and ease the process of fixing it.

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?

No

Brief description of the issue:

Random CTD while communicating with ATC after an hour long flight. I took off from KMTH, in the Grumman Goose, and flew NE, then North along the Florida coast. I was using flight following, and been repeatedly switching from centre to centre. When I got to close to Boca Raton, I cancelled flight following, and contacted tower to request landing. A few seconds later the sim crashed. FSRealistic was left running in the background playing continuous audio. Crash details below:

Faulting application name: FlightSimulator.exe, version: 1.26.5.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Faulting module name: FlightSimulator.exe, version: 1.26.5.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault bucket 1197067976364463698, type 5
Event Name: MoAppCrash
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Link to error log file below:
Report.wer

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

N/A

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

Difficult to reproduce. I suspect if I were to fly that route again, and do the exact same thing it would probably work.

PC specs and/or peripheral set up if relevant:

Intel 11900K, Nvidia 3090 FE, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Ultra, 32GB RAM, Samsung 1TB 970 Pro

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute on this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

Most likely sound driver related and/or corrupt FSRealistic install.

Check FSrealistic for support 1st.

Try:
Uninstall FSRealistic and see if it still happens.
Update/reinstall sound drivers and test functioning in Windows.
Set your preference sound in msfs.
Install FSrealistic.

1 Like

All good advice, but I don’t have any issues with any other titles, just this one.

And its not like I can replicate the flight, as the expectation there is that this is reproducible, which it isn’t. It appears entirely random. I would agree however that it may be audio related, but I was getting these ATC crashes, rarely, before FSRealistic even came out. So my suspicion is that it is the ATC audio that is doing this, and not FSRealstic.

My second flight of over 2 hours had FSRealstic loaded, but I didn’t use ATC at all. And on the flight that did crash I was using ATC the whole way, for flight following, with repeated swaps between frequencies, perhaps more than 10 times. It was only when I contacted tower Boca Raton that it crashed.

I think the audio loop was only causes by the sim being dropped out from under FSRealistic, and it never received a signal to stop playing one of the audio files, as the sim had crashed. It might do the same thing if I were to ALT+F4 the sim mid-flight, which also might be worth testing.

Even then I might only get one crash per month, it really is that rare. One thing worth testing though would be to disable the audible ATC, and use text only. I’ve seen some users have that configured on videos. But I might have to test it like that for weeks or months.

This isn’t the kind of issue where I can have a single flight, and declare the issue resolved. MSFS has never been like that for me, sadly.

That said it was a fun flight so I may refly it anyway. :slight_smile:

Hopefully others can reproduce this so we’ll know if it’s a core sim issue or use of addons. :+1:

1 Like

Given the error message, the 0xc0000005 one, I don’t believe I have ever had a single other game, or program fail with that error code.

I was receiving those probably as far back as 2020 if I remember right, before FSRealistic even existed.

My thoughts on this are that MSFS is still at times trying to access memory it shouldn’t, and causing these exceptions. I suspect there are many triggers for this.

To be honest, and I’m sure others feel the same way, I would be happier if it were one of those issues where you would get it 100% of the time, repeatable, but sadly this error doesn’t seem to work like that.

In previous cases where ATC seemed like it was related, I actually heard the ATC speech stutter just as it crashed. That didn’t happen here, it just went quiet then died. :slight_smile:

Regarding audio drivers, they are up to date as I installed the Logitech G560 drivers last week I believe. And I was having that crash rarely before I even bought those speakers, and was using a little Jabra 510 desktop conferencing set up to give me some audio.

2 Likes

I don’t have the crash logs to provide any useful data to the discussion but I had a CTD last night that has some similarities. I decided to take the C414 on a cross country journey. I was about 45 minutes into an hour long leg when the CTD happened. Prior to that, I had been running ATC but just decided to turn it off. I was also using FS Realistic. Anyway, a few minutes after I had turned off ATC ( I had also been fiddling with engine sound levels in the sim to try to get the ATC sounds clearer) the trip abruptly ended.
Again, I realize that this isn’t much help other than acknowledging that some CTD’s hit harder than others. I lost all interest in continuing on at that point!

1 Like

I flew for perhaps 8 hours over the weekend, on a number of different flights. In all cases I used ATC, but this time I had the ATC voices turned off entirely, so it was only text based in the ATC menu.

No crashes. It’s still far too early to suggest this is proof, but I plan to continue like this for the next month or so.

Which reminds me. Does anyone know how to enable the ATC alerts to appear at the bottom of the screen, as I have seen in some videos. I assumed that was going to be the Subtitles function, which I have enabled, but that doesn’t appear to do anything at all.

Do you have V-SYNC On or Off ?

I have a G-SYNC monitor and I discovered that if I turn off V-SYNC, I need to limit the game to 40FPS via NVIDIA control panel or else the game randomly crashes.

I was also getting the same error as you along with a system error in the Window event log under systems with a nvlddmkm related to NVIDIA.

I am a new member and I do not believe I can create new topics but when I can, I will be reporting this bug.

That file is part of the Nvidia driver set. I would recommend changing those, with an upgrade being preferable to a downgrade.

That file is part of the Nvidia driver set. I would recommend changing those, with an upgrade being preferable to a downgrade.

I have tried:

• a downgrade of drivers
  • an upgrade of drivers
  • a full clean install via the NVIDIA installer
  • A full clean install via the Windows Device Manager uninstaller
  • Full re-install of Flight Simulator with no add-ons and nothing in my community folder
  • Full Windows re-install

The only thing that fixed the random CTDs I was having is to either turn V-SYNC back ON or use G-SYNC but limit my FPS to 40 via NVIDIA control panel.

I have debugged this for a full week non-stop.

I thought I would add in all the flights I’ve done since posting this thread, and having ATC Azure TTS disabled.

Something like ~19 hours of flying with no crashes so far.

1 Like

Another ~18 hours, no crashes.

Another 32 hours without ATC voice enabled, and zero crashes.

Hi
I never use ATC from sim and have the same probs.
I flew from EGKK-OMDB and after 1hr so in German area CTD very annoying.

Frans Gehl

I just had my first, legit CTD, after something like 80+ hours with the same configuration. I was on final, probably half way through a 3 hour flight, in the Just Flight Warrior II. This was an untowered field, and I had previously announced landing, and was doing my first touch, and go after taking off again. So there was no ATC interaction at this point, so I don’t believe this crash was ATC related at all. After, I revised the plan to start where I crashed, and finished the rest of the flight, for another 1:45 without issue.

Application: FlightSimulator.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: exception code c0000005, exception address 00007FF74505291A

Faulting application name: FlightSimulator.exe, version: 1.26.5.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Faulting module name: FlightSimulator.exe, version: 1.26.5.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00000000044f4020
Faulting process ID: 0x660
Faulting application start time: 0x01d8a4fdd0260726
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.26.5.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\FlightSimulator.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.26.5.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\FlightSimulator.exe
Report ID: 0c486169-7b8b-4130-b1ec-e8731945ba70
Faulting package full name: Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.26.5.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
Faulting package-relative application ID: App

Fault bucket 1770879461139439378, type 5
Event Name: MoAppCrash
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.26.5.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
P2: praid:App
P3: 1.26.5.0
P4: 00000000
P5: FlightSimulator.exe
P6: 1.26.5.0
P7: 00000000
P8: c0000005
P9: 00000000044f4020
P10:

Just had a crash, flying the Arrow III for the first time in a about a year. Half an hour into the flight, I was coming to my first touch, and go, I tuned to the CTAF frequency, pressed the 2 button to announce my position, and the sim froze then crashed. Still no Azure audio turned on. It was a split second between me pressing the 2 key, and the sim dying.

Yes, I’ve found a repeatable crash that is linked to ATC.

This time I repeated the operation but immediately after take-off from PAKL I contacted the airport PAIG, and requested a full stop landing on runway 23. Then when the larger menu appears I pressed 2 to announce my position, and the game crashed.

If anyone else could replicate this that would be great. I’m going to log it as a Zendesk ticket, but first I want to repeat, and try one of the other options instead of option 2, like I’m on final or base, something like that.

Pressing “3”, to announce on final also crashes.

I think I need to go back and re-test at Boca Raton. When that crash happened, I reloaded, and took off from there, rather than attempt landing there again, so it’s possible it has the same issue.

Lately I’ve been using the world map to make my flight plans. To ease the work, I set "AI RadioCommunications (ATC) to ON. All the flights I made crashed. Flights like 0A9=KPDK, KNYL-KSAN, LPPT-LPPR and others. After turning off "AI Radiocommunication ( ATC) the CTD stayed away. ( up to now )

What happens if you manually interact with those instead of the AI co-pilot?

After turning off the co-pilot and using ATC manually, I haven’t had a CTD. I also reported this to Zendesk