Reasons for using ReShade, attempt to use its shaders instead of some MSFS2020 effects

I’ve found no performance impact from using freestyle shaders.

Don’t get me wrong here, if reshade works well for you and you achieve your visual goals then that’s great.

I was just offering an alternative based on my experience. :wink:

2 Likes

Do you have a preferred setting in freestyle?

Was that question to me?
If so visual preferences are very subjective, what looks good for one might be different for others, best thing to do is just play around with it.

I do use the brightness shader and fxaa shader and I’ve calibrated my TV with windows built in calibration tool.

I’m not at my pc right now so can’t go into more detail.

Yeah that was for you. Thanks!

Hi, it seems famously. Could you give me any advise how I add FlightSimulator.exe to Reshade if I bought by MS store? I obtained message that I dont have permission :frowning:

Blocking access to the “FlightSimulator.exe” file is one of the properties of the “UWP” platform. Most MS Store games are now released on the platform. If I understand correctly, the MSFS2020 is one of them. However, there is a program called “ReshadeForUWP”. Its author is “MilkyDeveloper”. It is specially designed to solve the problem. The program placed on GitHub. Unfortunately, it may not work for all users. However, there are chances of a successful installation ReShade this way.

I have devoted a separate topic to the discussion of the “ReshadeForUWP” program in the section on third-party developers. In the topic, I talk in detail about the program and my experience of using it. The manual that I mentioned above is published in this topic.

Here is a link to the topic.

1 Like

in this video you can see a specific worthwhile difference using Reshade + installation guide, but this is rather not from MS Store …

I dunno… I’ve never seen a use of ReShade that really looks better than original. It’s always “overcooked”.

I think it looks more realistic without it…

4 Likes

I use ReShade and i love it. But you are right it is a fine line, that it is not over overdone. For me all the HDR effects are to much.

I have only enabled:
MulitLUT, With LUT Nr. 8 (This alone eliminates the yellow-brown tone of the base sim)
Vibrance (To tune the saturation)
LumaSharpen (with low strength)

1 Like

Many games do not work in VR if you use Reshade. I have VORPX which turns non VR games into VR (simulated) with fantastic results. Unfortunately, many Direct X games modified by Re-Shade will not work in VR. Anyone here tried MSFS with Reshade in VR? Interested to know since reshade is a great app.

Oh I see ok, I didnt know that about VR. Interesting. Perhaps a future version of ReShade will work with it.

Using reshade filters is fun and you can really fine tune the image to suit your own tastes. Be aware though that some reshade filters do have a fair impact on FPS, certainly if you don’t have a hugely powerful graphics card. Nvidia’s own reshade filters, though fairly basic, are designed not to impact FPS. You can use them via the Geforce app.

Coming in late to this thread, but several others pointed out that you can fix the over exposed sim and “colorless” sky and ground by using Nvidia’s freestyle/ansel settings. I’ve started using Ansel and it’s day and night better, in my opinion.

2 Likes

Default looks more realistic.

1 Like

Being very GPU limited, through control panel I tried to shift Nvidia’s shader cache onto virtual memory thinking my Pro Evo 980 would be fast enough but quite frankly it isn’t. Approaching new scenery and airports induces a single half a second stutter which while not particularly terrible can ruin the moment at a critical time. If there’s any improvement in performance otherwise I haven’t really noticed so the shaders are definitely going back to the gpu cache.

I saw your post too late and was gonna reply but then saw you had the MS Store version of the game. I heard ReShade does not work on that sadly. If you have nVidia card you can get free GeForce experience and try the filters on that.

1 Like

You show some nice shades indeed ! But I do wonder… a lot of things…

• Does your “cinematic shader” listen to the time slider… is it aware of MSFS weather settings ?

• Curious if you have the manpower to maintain this, when DX-12 will come to MSFS… e.g. bundles, tesselation changes, new domain shaders…

• What are the performance effects, considering the fact that many GPU’s are quite buzzy with MSFS “Default” shading already, a shading postprocessor would add load… how much load…

• how does this fit into the MSFS DX pipeline ? “Injection” ? Do you replace shader code on the fly ? append always ? or do you need to intercept the compile call in DirectX and “inject” your own stuff to replace existing MS/Asobo shaders ?

• What if color formats, or Constant Buffers are changed, in an SU-update ? Your shader code is bound to the old declarations… best case, new MS/Asobo features would not be visible, worst case it will result in GPU memory alignment errors and a CTD.

All questions, questions, dear @AlexVengrus, I find your philosophy interesting, but thing is, you show us a nice video, but it is not really clear how your product is installed, and what buttons need to be pressed to achieve results.

1 Like

Just be careful when using re-shade on games other then this. Some FPS games will ban you for using it, AAPG is just one them that will. You used to be able to use setting that would give you a psuedo wall hack effect, giving you and advantage over you adversaries.

That being said, yeah re-shade can do some amazing things to games.

2 Likes

This is true. Another cheat if inside a dark environment is to play with the FakeHDR slider and you almost get night vision.

I dont play any online multiplayer as I love solo only and I use the above trick in GR Breakpoint as the lighting in that game is horrible.

Did you post the settings you use lately? I likedthem but cant find the thread anymore…