Record Time for SU7 Update. 5 Days!

Manually search for file and delete it.

Try this: https://flightsimulator.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360016844080-Download-stuck-on-packages-Install-loop-Decompressing-issues

5 Likes

OP et-al, it took me two days of work, to get the update completed. The loop problem has a fix. Look for Continuous Loop thread, the fix is there for that. I usually get about 15MBTS normal speed on DL’s. Yeah, I know, sloooowwwww. But life is what it is. Upon initial game release it took me 5 days to get the whole thing. Had to reinstall once, that took 6 days.

One thing I did to prevent this in the future is to back up the game. It is located here - Drive\user profile\appdata\local\packages\MicrosoftFlightSimulator…8xxxxx\ = Backup this whole folder to another drive. It’s about 160 GBs in size. Then if ever you have to reinstall, all you need do is to uninstall the game, and then restart PC, then copy the game back to that place. Once you start it up, it will update any files which have changed.

There is just got to be something broken with the install process in this game. Reports of users with 100+MB connection, and taking all day. It’s also not a geographical area, but it appears to be random, but since no database on whom and where the slowdown occurs, no one has a firm handle on what it is. Several folks reported it to be their “Hosts.txt” file located in windows\system32 folder, but I do not have it, so that is not it for me.

But back to problem, once you follow steps to clear LOOP, try to update game again. If and when you are successful, let game load, then exit to desktop, restart PC, log back in, open command prompt as admin, and run these commands in order.

1. SFC /scannow - let it finish, then:
  2. Chkdsk /f/r - This one will take while, system may ask for Y and restart, it will run after POST, before OS loads. Then, once logged back in try game. Because the loops, starts, stops, slowdowns, blah, blah, I am convinced the file structure in game is flawed. Running those two commands might fix file structure so it works, it did for me.

Some other gotchas, reports of general settings being reset to easy, change them to what you like, then apply and save, exit game, open game and see if they are still the way you set them. If so, they may stay, or maybe you will have them change again, mine did twice, then now set.
Honeycomb has new software out I have read, need to get it and install.

Also, you are one of I believe possibly 10’s of thousands having this issue, me among them. I never thought in my wildest imagination I would spend more time, fixing this game, and or debugging things as I do, I wish I could add this time to my total flight time, I would have 5000 hours.

Good Luck, give us an update so we know you were successful. Many folks have thrown up hands, and put game aside, I swore if I could not get it this time, I was in that group, but alas, I beat it down once again.

Hope this could help :
Once you should be able to launch , take a look at your bandwith in options menu . (if someone knows how to change out off MSFS , you’re welcome…)
I had the same problem (slow d/l 1 mo/s , files always and always back at 0% , 2 weeks to have all files updated) .
My bandwith was set to 5 megs to fit with my internet connection speed.
I set it to 40 megs , even if I don’t have a so fast connection : magic , now I don’t have any update problems and all d/l at 8 mo/s

It only took me 35 hours. Only two files decided they wanted to loop. I set Netlimiter4 to 3 Mbs in the end.

It is not hosts.txt instead it is just called hosts without any extension and yes you have it like everybody else. It is hidden by default.
So make sure to open it and check it does not contain some funny entries like the ones added by the google imagery add on

Thank you all for your sypathetic responses. Glad I am not in this alone.

I’m going to try the suggestions here, one by one. One of the problems I have identified is that I have Elon Musk’s Starlink internet service. There are periods when no data flows from the system (as I can see on Taks Manager, Ethernet graph). When the data flow drops, I can see the Installation Manager Mbits drop to .01 and finally to zero whereupon the Install Mgr drops what it has downloaded so far and repeats sending the file, over and over and over.

Speed tests on Starlink seem OK. No less than 40 Mbps on speedof.me and fast.com. I can download the Win10 ISO in 15 minutes during peak traffic periods. Mulitple streams of YouTube are easily supported. So it’s hard to point a finger at Elon and company. I do find fault with the Install Manager (or what ever M$ is using for a downloader).

Interestingly, I had this same problem when I had internet service from a local Wireless ISP.

I’m going to open a separate topic and see if I am the only one with Starlink Internet having trouble downloading SU7.

Larry

The people reporting this one have been using “terrain replacement mod that shall not be named”. It messes with the host file to redirect traffic away from Bing and to the competitor’s servers and breaks peoples’ stuff when it doesn’t work right.

This has nothing to do with the updater though, as the update files come from a completely different source than terrain textures.

1 Like

Checked the hosts file. It is clear of entries.
C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts

#
# 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
# 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

# localhost name resolution is handled within DNS itself.
# 127.0.0.1 localhost
# ::1 localhost

I had wondered about this service… with streaming apps in general, let alone huge downloads.
This might get interesting.

Jim-Sim

Just curious. What do you do in the meantime?

Gold medal for perseverance, TBH.

I decided to ask Starlink Support if anyone else had reported slow downloads. They requested that I install the Starlink supplied router back on line so they could access the satellite Dish remotely. I complied and waited. In about an hour, my download started running at 5 to 10 mbits per, very normally. Six hours later all the updates were on my SD . So now I have two routers linked (Satellite Dish ->Starlink Router → Netgear) in a double nat. But it’s working, maybe I shouldn’t try to fix it.

So what fixed the problem? I can tell you tuning, netlimiter, VPN, deleting recently downloaded files, and all the other “fixes” did not help. The only change I made on my end was to put the Starlink supplied router back in series with my Netgear Nighthawk router. You’ve heard the expression, “came clear while testing”? Again thanks for all your help.

I have had a similar problem before, but using a decent VPN solved the problem…

I started a discussion concerning updates/downloads and Starlink Satellite service and MSFS2020. It’s here if you are interested.

Or maybe we can shame you into getting a better Internet connection or better home network?

My update was done in less than 30 min. Server capacity wasn’t an issue.

Neil:
I’d love to have a better connection Unfortunely fate has landed me in the wilderness of Montana for the foreseeable future. Internet choices here are almost non-existent. Be thankful you have a decent one.

Totally get that, but that how would MS server capacity help?

I initially thought more capacity would help. That’s probably incorrect. When I bring up Netlimiter during my downloads, I see atleast 20 Azure upload connections that could send data in my direction. My current hope (guess?) is that the 2020 Azure downloader program can be adjusted with a configuration tweak.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.