Reflections look grainy, even if reflections are on ultra

This is a chronic problem… this and the “dancing shadows” at cockpit. Maybe all those issues will be fixed when ray tracing arrives to the sim (and drop the fps to around 8 haha)

It is an issue that is climbing the bug list pretty quickly. It is up to #12 and still show as “Under Investigation”

I would like to know what those “under investigation” means. Are they trying to find the bug? Or are they trying to find the issue at their codes? Or is it just a “political way” to say “ok, simmers, we are aware of it…now sit down and wait”?

Yeah, this is particularly noticeable in the MB-339 where the interior cockpit just has this bad “Old Newspaper photo dots” effect all over it.

If I understood their comments in the Q&A it generally means they are either trying to duplicate the bug or they have seen it and are trying to understand where it is coming from. I have done a bit of programming myself and when you have an action that is controlled by hundreds of variables and numerous algorithms passing values along with the unpredictable human input, sometimes it is nigh impossible to understand why 1% of the time that action does something unplanned.

which is not easy because a lot of users changed manualy here User…Cfg or made some special settings in nvidia-controll-center ( let not decide the application ).
Additional is e.g. pictures like these not an OMG-issue.

I’ve had this issue since release, also rebuilt pc and did clean win10 and msfs 20 install, still had the same issue, I switched reflections off along time ago because of this issue due to it being too distracting

Do you have any add-ons in your Community folder? If yes, please remove and retest before posting.
no
Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?
no
Brief description of the issue:
Hi Simers, I wanted to ask you some advice, how you go about removing grain with Windshield Effect in Ultra. I have an MSI RTX 3080 TAA enabled, HDR10 On. :disappointed: fs2020 from the Xbox pass. 49 "screen, DirectX 12.
Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

Detail steps to reproduce the issue encountered:
Hi Simers, I wanted to ask you some advice, how you go about removing grain with Windshield Effect in Ultra. I have an MSI RTX 3080 TAA enabled, HDR10 On. :disappointed: fs2020 from the Xbox pass. 49 "screen, DirectX 12.
PC specs for those who want to assist (if not entered in your profile)

Did you submit this to Zendesk? If so, what is your ticket #?
no

Yes I have the exact same thing, changing windscreen reflections to high removed it.

10900KF 32GB 3080…

I have an amd-rx590 card and still got this problem, so it´s not only for nvidia. :pensive:

exactly …

Eric.

I’m having the same issue. The horrible rendering is mostly visible under bridges for me. I have now turned of reflections completely.

Its funny reading people’s responses like “I suffer from this, too”

Everyone does. It’s not a system dependent bug - it’s how the sim was built. If you dont think you have it, either it isnt showing up easily (it doesnt show on all reflections, only some) or you are just not detail oriented and not seeing it.

Everyone has this issue, and I doubt Asobo will fix it. It’s at the core of how the simulator is built.

2 Likes

We should rise it to be read at Q&A…or DX12

Takes away from the effort to add the bridges POI in…

Right. That’s what I think too.
It just looks like they blend the shadow edges using dithering instead of alpha. There must be a reason why they chose this.

1 Like

Wow DarkOptics showes 2550x1440 zoomed in detail of the left door of the aircraft and is complaining about seeing pixels in a reflection :face_with_monocle:

This is not only a windshield issue. Pixelated shadows and reflections are everywhere in MSFS. These pixelations are also clearly visible from 200-400Ft altitude, when trees reflect in water, or cast shadows over water… I think this behaviour is a tradeoff. Reflections and shadows actually need to be semi-transparent. In DX-11 that is very expensive. Going the other direction, making reflections and shadows opaque, will look black and unnatural… and you’d have to render a complete geometry on top of the surface… else it would show squares.

Don’t worry. Complexity is a factor in development, but take into account that modern cloud-driven programming methods are highly modularized, many programmers are building stuff in a very structured way… In this stage, it is still a choice to solve other particular issues - like stuttering and CTD’s in multiplayer flight, autopilot direction stability and SDK-issues experience by third party developers.

Other issues are postponed, like this one. The examples shown here involve ultra settings and could be a result of insufficient texture resolution ! People run ultra settings in VR, or three screens aside one another. On 12000 pixels wide, MSFS is expected to yield the same quality on a 100x100 pixels square compared to the same square on my laptop, which has 1920 pixels horizontal. On these giant screens, a 100x100 pixels square represents only 1/30 of the information shown in the same 100x100 pixels square on my laptop screen. I would not see these cockput pixelations, simply becauyse I don’t have the resolution. Expecting a square of 100x100 not be pixelated at a screen width larger than 10000 may be asking too much. When all textures would have to be enlarged to solve this, say 2x the width/height, we’ll get 4x the data size… a 500-700Gb update… and 75% FpS loss. You don’t wanna be there, just to solve a few reflection issues !

1 Like

Hello, just posting something so this topic doesn’t get closed.

1 Like

light reflecting off the wavelets in the shadows but on a pixelated screen it looks very unatural. If it’s the only cure I would much rather they simply add blur to all reflections.
If they should spend time fixing it is another matter because when it’s supported DX12 definitely will.

The team haven’t said much about DX12 recently, when do you think it will be supported?