Reflections look grainy, even if reflections are on ultra

DX12 will be released on July 27, on the Q@A, they said all type of reflection for grainy on windows\water DX12 will improve this, but not sure if implemented on the next Sim update 27 July. next Q@A for Sim update is June 20, these answer could be answered live on the chat.

The newest Xbox trailer showed that, at lower sample counts, the reflections will look pixelated rather than grainy, which is more in line with other games using screen-space reflections.

The DirectX 12 update will probably take care of that on PC as well.

Since the very dawn of FS2020 alpha I’ve noticed this grainy effect in the rendering, I’m guessing it’s just the way it is and will be here forever but I can’t stand it.

Any ideas on fixes for this? increasing AA a lot helps…a little bit, but this is core to the engine!

1 Like

You can go to your installation folder and look for the Usercfg.opt file and open it using notepad.

Find the line that says FilmGrain and change that to 0 and save it.

2 Likes

IIRC the devs have said this will improve with DX12, so hopefully in less than a month.

1 Like

Worked perfectly fot me, thanks!

I have no idea how, but my problem has disappeared after sim update 5. before sim update 5 I decided to do a full reinstall. I deleted everything, then installed sim update 5. the problem has completley gone, and my reflections look amazing. Maybe you guys can try reinstalling. I hope this helps. best of luck

A reinstall is not required, Sim Update 5 made the screen-space reflections look less grainy indeed. It seems that they are now acquiring samples from more frames, which gives them more detail and reduces the appearance of the grain pattern. Of course the downside is that it takes a little longer for them to fill in when switching views, but it’s a good compromise in my opinion.

1 Like

Better but I do wish for better antialiasing of reflections in cockpit view for the TopRudder Solo

1 Like

:wave: Thank you using the Bug section, using templates provided will greatly help the team reproducing the issue and ease the process of fixing it.

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?

No

Brief description of the issue:

Terrain (mountain) on the right of the plane is heavily pixelated when reflected on the left side window glass. Using a Cessna Skyhawk glass cockpit. Tried same circumstances with Beechcraft Bonanza - no reflection at all (maybe intentional ?)

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

Fly with mountains on the right close to sundown , check left side window for how reflection is rendered.

PC specs and/or peripheral set up if relevant:

i7 9700F, RTX 2060, app on NVMe SSD, Packages on SSD, 2K 60Hz, frames limited to 40 through NCP

PC MS Store 1.27.18

Are you using DX12?

No

Are you using DLSS?

Yes

Are you using the multi monitor feature?

No because popping out screens such as ATC halves FPS

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute on this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

Are you using DX12?

Are you using DLSS?

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

1 Like

That doesn’t look like a new bug with Sim Update 10, cubemap reflections have always been somewhat low-res. Make sure Cubemap Reflections is set to 256, and if you still think they look pixelated, you can increase that value further in the UserCfg.opt file.

I agree with the respondent and would like to I would like to add something about cubemaps.
The scenery reflections use a technique called cubemap.
Game developers do not like to increase the resolution of this part of the game inexhaustibly, as there is a slight performance hit when using cubemaps to represent reflections (as they are often decorative).
In most cases, the reflection resolution is limited because it is often decorative.
It is common in game applications for cube maps to appear very small relative to screen resolution.

Thank you both for your insights and suggestions. Turning up the setting does not do much, in fact I already had it at 256 and even 1024 through the file amendment does not improve the rendering.

I see this topic is open for a long time now, is the issue supposed to be addressed somehow or we are having to live with it ?

I do not believe there is currently a useful solution. Setting the anti-aliasing to a larger value may make it look a little cleaner.
I believe that the reason why there is no improvement even after increasing the value is because the setting item is capped.

Real-time graphics always involve computational costs.
Developers use multiple methods to achieve the desired effect at the lowest possible computational cost.
Reflection effects are expensive to calculate seriously, so MSFS also uses cube maps and screen space reflection, but not one method, as both methods have their own features and drawbacks. (Ray Trace Reflection is not used at this time)

There seems to be a good number of people who want a clean reflection, but I suspect that it is not a high priority due to the lack of response for a long time and especially the GPU cost.

1 Like

Crystal clear, many thanks.

Noise and Pixelation in reflections

request (#178810)
This problem has only been happening for a few weeks,
all moving reflections (Cubemap Reflection) appear noisy and pixelated with flickering shadow outlines.
I have tried many things:

1. Installing latest graphics drivers and resetting to default all settings. But I don’t solve anything.
  2. I did also a clean reinstall Windows 11 and Flight Simulator. The graphics problem persists!
  3. I tryed installed the Nvidia 517.48 drivers, as suggested, and manually changed the settings of the usercfg.opt file as suggested, (Sharpen 0, Fringe 0, Dirt 0, FilmGrain 0). No improvement! Always grainy reflected shadows with flickering pixelated edges, they persist!
  4. Different Anti-Aliasing settings, go from TAA to FXAA etc. Do not fix.
  5. Render scaling to higher. Do Not fix.
    I hope someone can help me and anyone with the same problem.

Are you using DX12?

No

Are you using DLSS?

No

pixelated shadow reflections 03
pixelated shadow reflections 01
pixelated clouds

1 Like

7 posts were merged into an existing topic: Noise and Pixelation in reflections/shadow (Cubemap Reflections / ReflectionProbe)

464 votes have been moved. 4 votes could not be moved because their users already voted in the other topic.

:wave: Thank you using the Bug section, using templates provided will greatly help the team reproducing the issue and ease the process of fixing it.

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?

NO

Have you disabled/removed all your mods and addons?

SI

Brief description of the issue:

(Request #178810)
This problem has only been happening for a few weeks. All moving reflections, especially the clouds reflected on the sea (Cubemap Reflections / ReflectionProbe) appear pixelated with flickering shadow outlines. (flickering shadow also noticeable in the cockpit).
I have tried many things:

1. Installing latest graphics drivers and resetting to default all settings. But I don’t solve anything.
  2. I did also a clean reinstall Windows 11 and Flight Simulator. The graphics problem persists!
  3. I tryed installed the Nvidia 517.48 drivers, as suggested, and manually changed the settings of the usercfg.opt file as suggested, (Sharpen 0, Fringe 0, Dirt 0, FilmGrain 0). No improvement! Always grainy reflected shadows with flickering pixelated edges, they persist!
  4. Different Anti-Aliasing settings, go from TAA to FXAA etc. Do not fix.
  5. Render scaling to higher. Do Not fix.
    I hope someone can help me and anyone with the same problem.
    I attach some screenshots.

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

pixelated shadow reflections 03
pixelated shadow reflections 01
pixelated clouds

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

Observe the reflections of the clouds on the water starting the scenario of the famous landing challenge: “DÜNE Heligoland, Germany - EDXH”

PC specs and/or peripheral set up if relevant:

CPU i5-10400F 6core 2.9GHz, RAM 32 GB, GPU Gigabyte RTX 3060 12 GB VRAM, SSD P2 M.2 nvm 500GB. Peripherals: keyboard, mouse and Thrustmaster TCA.

Graphics settings:

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute on this issue, Click on the button below to use this template: