[RELEASED] Aeroplane Heaven Cessna C-140

That’s wicked cool! It’s nice to know about, but I am glad I never have to do that. It sounds TEDIOUS.

1 Like

Hmmm… I don’t know. What’s “best”? :wink: I am glad you like it. It’s not bad, but it has issues that I need gone before I want to fly it often. Right now I can think of a few “better” VFR birds - the Ryan, the Arrows, the Yak-18, Piaggio, the Jabiru, Stearman, Waco … Thankfully, we have no shortage of some nice VFR aircraft.

3 Likes

I thought you said you don’t speak with an accent?

:wink:

(from a fellow Bostonian)

1 Like

But I really don’t!!! Haha! I am allowed to bust out an occasional “wicked pissah”.

1 Like

I do hope the folks in this thread who have purchased the 140 will keep us appraised of any updates. It seems ro have a lot of potential for greatness.

1 Like

Airplane has some issues but is ok for use.

1. Radio volume knob is dysfunctional - does not rotate, only ‘toggles’ back and forth and seems to control ‘Comm 2’ frequencies - not the volume of the audio, which is very low by default and almost inaudible.
    Meanwhile the frequency knob on the left controls Comm 1 initially - then seems to switch to Comm 2
    while the center knob that is supposed to turn ON the radio and switch between radio functions is INOP
  2. the window rain masks are reversed - side windows display rain drops moving forward and the windscreen shows them streaming downward when the plane is operating / flying.

Otherwise - the plane seems to fly properly and behave as expected. It also looks fantastic…too bad that isn’t all that matters. Please fix the radio and rain masks.
I like this model overall. Happy with the purchase knowing AH will make the needed corrections.
It is exactly the type I like to fly.

From what I saw so far you set the standby frequency (right number) with the left knob. It’s a bit hard to find the right click spots. But it works. Outside of the knob = MHz, inside of the knob = kHz. If the center click spot on this knob has any function I don’t know. At least I could none notice. The middle knob has no function it seems. In the P3D model you could switch between the different radios (COM, NAV, ADF, and transponder). The right knob has only the function to switch active and standby frequency. At least this is what “my” C140 here is doing and what I then see (just for checking) on the COM display in the G1000 (which causes nausea each time I switch to it).

The electric problem is probably “solvable” by assigned a button or key to one of the alternator commands. At least in my case it has worked. Using “Toggle Master Alternator” at on of my many not used buttons at the T.16000M. After using it the amperemeter shows something around 130. So hopefully my battery will not be dried during my (first) test flight.

1 Like

I posted the two points above to their FB thread on the aircraft. That’s where they seems they take notes on things to fix.

I hope you are OK with it.

Oh yeah no worries - I appreciate you looking these over and giving us a solid first impression.
I’m sure AH will make corrections in a timely way

1 Like

I gave you credit on my post for your findings as well. :wink:

Low-frequency radio range wasn’t an ILS, though - more like an NDB or VOR approach, with no vertical reference. You’d follow direction at a set rate of descent and hope you got out of the clouds in time to see the field.

Milviz did a version of the low-frequency radio-range system, but it was locked to their T-50 Bobcat. A bunch of us asked them to make an unlocked version available for general use, but it never happened.

Maybe somebody else will take it on for MSFS.

brief video regarding C140 in its present configuration -

this is the tundra version and this video does not include the issue of reversed rain effects on the glass - but shows the radio as well as some of the virtual cockpit controls and start up procedure

radio left knob tunes both Com1 (initially) and Com2, then only Com2 - the right hand knob switches between Com1 and Com2 and the center knob is INOP
As you can hear, the radio volume needs to be adjustable…

video is available now

Hi @AlanA4643 - thanks for chiming in and the info about the MIlviz model, I wasn’t aware someone actually went ahead and simulated the thing.

You are correct about my misuse of the term ILS, my apologies!
I actually had IFR in mind and somehow associated it with the concept of an instrument approach by radio - which I was researching while I wrote the post.

I still cannot find any aircraft radio looking like the one in the AH C-140. I’m convinced it should have modeled a GE AS-1B (but I understand this one is way more readable).

Reposting a link to a twitch video someone has put up (this is NOT my video just a repost).

I noticed in the Honeycomb Alpha that the ALT switch does work, and the ammeter responds properly. That said, I’ve still found that the engine dying when fuel runs out (which happens very quickly if you’re flying half tanks) you cannot restart the plane without ctrl+e. Strange.

I use just a Thrustmaster Airbus stick, so I don’t have any of those things mapped to anything on the joystick - I just use the mouse clicks in the cockpit.

I actually prefer ‘reaching’ for the various controls with a mouse - it seems more immersive to me.
nothing like having to reach back and overhead to adjust the mixture (Widgeon) and turning back to the front window to find you are in a 70deg diving spiral - so learning to handle the the airplane while managing these tasks is a good challenge

4 Likes

I am addicted to that Widgeon!

2 Likes