[RELEASED] Aeroplane Heaven Cessna C-140

So, I grabbed myself a copy as I’m interested in 1st hand experience with the model and the developer - also, the price on Orbx was very good - around 22 eur inc. taxes.

I didn’t have much time to test it, just did a couple of circuits around BIIS, so I’ll get back to this but there are a couple of small things I don’t think have been reported yet:

• At night, with the G1000 avionics on, the knobs present some issues (with and without lights on, both inside or outside the aircraft). Also, the control column for that G1000 proves there is no space whatsoever for the system - notice the upper right corner sticking out. A GNS530 would have been much better, but I guess they had their reasons.
  • From the external view (and it’s way more noticeable at night) seems there’s a small issue with the textures behind where the G1000 should be. Note that in the image below the G1000 is completely disabled, the same happens on the pilot’s side.
  • Tailwheel, it’s in the tarmac instead of on the tarmac

Other issues:

• Missing sounds when turning the key
  • MIssing sound when closing the window (there is sound when opening it).
  • That radio doesn’t make any sense to me (works as the manual says, still don’t think it’s ok). Very personal gripe I guess.
  • The marketing blurb advertises 3 variants, technically this is correct. We get a standard one (with and without wheel fairings) and a tundra tire variant, to me that’s 2, again personal. A ski and a float version would have been a more interesting, both of those where available back in the day.

I also need to review the primer and engine start, quite certain the 140 shouldn’t start up immediately at -50F. Engine sounds also seem to be very loud, but this might be relative.

I like the exterior model very much, the interior is not too shabby either, and it handles nicely. But - and I could be completely wrong - I don’t really feel any of the basic systems are properly modeled and it’s not like there’s much to model here.

I’ll amend my views once I get more time with the plane.

3 Likes

Hello all. Glad people are enjoying the C140, thanks for buying. Sales so far are extremely encouraging. We are preparing a hot-fix for some of the issues covered here. We have a float version in the wings but right now floats don’t work in MSFS. Any aircraft you may have seen apparently using floats is a workaround, using scrapepoints labelled as floats. This just stops the thing from sinking. Mind you the depth of the water is about 2 feet wherever you go so you could probably get out and walk. Bear with us and we’ll have a hot-fix up, probably this weekend if we can.

On other fronts we are at work on the DC-3 as we write and the Spitfire is now just waiting on its new pro-built soundpack.

16 Likes

Glad you are working on the hotfix. Thanks for the C140!

Surprised to hear of this “floats don’t work in MSFS” deal… There are quite a few floatplanes at this point. What exactly are you waiting for in terms of that? What needs to change in order for them to “work properly”? How is the MSFS implementation different from P3D? (Yes, I know P3D actually does have bathymetry - I use P3D often).

good news on all fronts - hotfix for C140, DC-3, Spitfire Mk1, all good.

dunno if you scanned the whole thread but up around post 38 and again at 45 there are a couple of suggestions about what other AH models would be very welcome in MSFS…
I know the cards are always played close to the vest on projects planned or in the works but that Lockheed 10A and the C-46, F3F, (lets face it, along with the rest of the catalog) would be ‘electra-fying’

1 Like

Well if somebody has floats working properly, I’d love to hear how 'cos we can’t get them to. I was not aware of any payware, non-p3D ported floatplanes in MSFS. Happy to be corrected.

Two of the workarounds that err…work pretty well
However - as you say - they are adaptations made to function within the current MSFS build - they will not likely work so well after the coming Sim Update 5

Well, FlySimWare’s Grumman Widgeon and BlackBox’s Bird Dog come to mind. I don’t know what you mean by “non-p3D ported floatplanes”, because by that token, the C140 is P3D-ported. I guess I am confused by the “P3D-ported” term as a differentiator - either they work or… they don’t. Right? :wink:

But you could also take a look at the freeware modification of the X-Cub that has floats (www.bushleaguelegends.com)… and then there is the native MSFS default Icon A-5?

Just a little confused here… Help me understand. :wink:

1 Like

Well I don’t see proper float behaviour with these. They bob like they’re on stilts. Looks like the usual scrapepoints with “float” assignments. Also, no water rudders, no wash and wake. We won’t release the float version until we can have all that in the sim.

4 Likes

Sounds good.

it’s your call - if you are saying the C140 will be getting some floats after the SU5 rollout, I’m down for it

Well we don’t see the point of a floatplane if it doesn’t behave like one or look like one on the water. I can land the bush C140 on the sea and taxy around…

1 Like

don’t mind me - I’m just killing time until the real-er water effects, physics, and floatplanes show up.
What I see in the above videos is something to get me by til then.

Just for giggles, start on the water try the differential braking on the Icon A-5. Quite something for a seaplane!

4 Likes

the amphibians can all brake in the water, it is pretty funny. I think Bagolu might have found a way to correct it maybe and I’m not 100% certain about the Widgeon but I think it also has effective water brakes - I know it turns better at lowest speeds just as on land - as if it is using the tailwheel rather than any kind of rudder.

Again I do not contradict your points - I’m just a guy with no other options. I have no room to reinstall 75 gigs of FSX (or whatever it was) or any desire to keep Xplane or P3D side by side with MSFS.
I look forward to your effort to make a proper floatplane for this sim when the time comes is all

2 Likes

I am keeping P3D installed for quite a few reasons… some of them being the spectacular A2A J-Cub on floats where you can do proper “steps”… the Boeing Clipper (though it’s coming soon for MSFS, though not sure if it’s the study-level version or just the basic one - I have the study-level one on P3D)… those are some great seaplanes! I have the Grumman Widgeon there too, but the MSFS version is now actually superior to the P3D one, so… I uninstalled that one. Basically, the aircraft in P3D gradually get uninstalled as they come over to MSFS… Speaking of Aeroplane Heaven… their Globe Swift on P3D is quite fun too (and it’s free!!!) I hope eventually it can come over as well.

this one was a regular visitor here at our Wings over Gillespie airshow back in the day - so naturally (aluminum) I bought the AH Swift for FSX day 1
Gotta love an airplane that has a '49 Buick Roadmaster grill up front right?

4 Likes

The biggest issue I see with current float planes is they take-off from water like they had wheels, they do not “step up” and hydroplane on the step before rotating the way a plane on floats should.

If people are happy with anything that can land on water then the current mods are fine, but do not be deluded they are behaving like a real float plane.

2 Likes

just noticed something about the prop spin animation. Since you have a hotfix planned, can you take a look at the prop spin animation above 2000 RPM?
It has a pause at regular intervals depending on the RPM once you take it over 2000 - the higher you go the more pronounced the pause is.
At first I thought the sim was freezing but my FPS were unchanged and the scenery was flowing steadily - just this odd prop spin freeze or pause. Because it is happening right out front of you it’s kind of a showstopper. Has anyone else noticed this?
I can post a video if you like

2 Likes

That sounds great! While the Cessna C-140 isn’t a high priority for me, I certainly wish you the best of luck with it. I’ve been hoping for news on your DC-3, as it is a favorite of mine, and a high-detail example (hopefully study level) would be an obvious instant buy for me as well as many others I’m sure!

If I could just chime in for a future project, the Lockheed L-10A Electra would be nice, but most especially if it included the modified L-10E model that Amelia Earhart flew on her around-the-world attempt with appropriate engines/fuel/nav equipment. That would be a dream come true for me, and I’m really quite surprised it hasn’t been done (professionally) in recent years if ever.

I got this aircraft but it has this annoying sound that doesnt go away when you start with a cold and dark start it sounds like if a something is being winded up and it just keeps on repeating. Does anyone know what it is and how to turn it off ??