[RELEASED] Ant's Airplanes Tiger Moth

A magnificent aircraft and I’m very pleased it is available through the marketplace. Flying with an Xbox controller on PC is a real pleasure and if you’re as familiar as I am with the aircraft, you immediately appreciate the early RAF type. Great work.

it’s true - some of the most venerated and desirable vintage airplanes are simply NOT allowed to be anything less than pristine. There’s an unwritten code by now that no pilot owner anyway would think of crossing.

I’m not trying to start a poll or a comparison, but just wanted to observe how much affection the sim community has had for this particular airplane for a very long time. The Moth and MSFS2020 really complement one another.

2 Likes

How does this one stack up to the real one?

1 Like

No sound in multiplayer

There are “working” Tigers around still, training & rental ones - they aren’t quite so pristine, as you might imagine… there are a surprising amount flying still, more than the production run of a fair number of modern aircraft.

Yeah, it’s one of my favorite aircraft to fly at the moment. Just perfect for relaxing short flights.

I have just found my dad’s old ATC flying tuition manual, published 1938 complete with Tiger Moth.

13 Likes

Interesting…although it looks like a Gypsy Moth, not a Tiger Moth

2 Likes

Oh no, I think you might be right…

Sorry folks…

1 Like

Well … it is one of the DH60’s. Maybe the Gypsy Moth but it could also be a Hermes Moth or Genet Moth. The various DH60 Moth aircraft were close to identical, the only difference is the engine. The Gypsy Moth was powered by a De Havilland Gypsy engine rather than a Hermes or Genet engine.

The Tiger Moth is of course a DH82 with a different airframe altogether and is powered by a Gypsy Major engine which is an inverted higher capacity variant of the Gypsy. Basically the Major is a Gypsy flipped upside down and bored out for more power.

1 Like

it’s less noisy, less smelly and less cold

1 Like

Right, how is the flight model?

Persuaded someone who trained in one to fly it the other day, “seems about right”.

4 Likes

The Tiger Moth is really pleasurable to fly. Feels very light, slow, with a lot of lift, like I imagine a biplane behaves. You have to work to do aerobatics in it but it’s really rewarding when you do it. Stalls and spins are great. Wingovers and hammerheads feel perfect. Ground handling has custom coding because it has no brakes, so it adds some extra ground friction to simulate the tailskid.

Really wonderful flight model imo.

8 Likes

Having tons of fun in this, it’s a good plane to get the hang of tail draggers which I’ve not had much exposure in to date. I’ve been running endless tight circuits to get the hang of takeoffs and landings in various wind conditions. I struggle to get the thing onto the ground sometimes given it’s ~25kt stall speed with slots unlocked.

Also a real pig to taxi, I’m finding it difficult to make sharp turns (such as turning around at the end of a runway). I’m trying to keep off using the brakes as well to simulate the real thing which doesn’t help. I find even with high rolling resistance set the plane will sometimes coast a long for a while especially on hard runways.

Top purchase and on the marketplace with regional pricing I picked it up for 24NZD which is crazy for what you get. Buying elsewhere with conversions would have run me up ~40NZD.

My only concern is that some of the internal texturing could be crisper, the compass for example.

2 Likes

The trick to that is short bursts of high power to increase the effectiveness of the rudder. You can turn on a dime doing that, even without brakes (which the real Tiger Moth doesn’t even have).

2 Likes

Stick forward to lift the tail when you turn too, and stick back if you want to brake.

( generally stick back should be the default on the ground anyway, but you’ll be digging the skid in so in moderation here. It may be placebo but it feels like there’s some braking effort in the “enchanced” ground handlng,).

3 Likes

I got the Tiger Moth yesterday. After a little bit of trepidation (such an old plane, would I be able to handle it?) I jumped inside, read up on it, and took off. After a minute of flying it felt so natural to fly it as if I’d never done anything else.

What a truly fantastic piece of kit! Sounds awesome, gives the fresh-air vibes that only an open cockpit can, is a true joy to hand fly for extended periods, and as a bonus: looks great in VR. Love the wood cockpit, the padded “head rest” and the quirky slanted RPM gauge.

10/10 would gladly buy again :smile:

6 Likes

Is it true that you have to re set all the tablet options each time? Trying to make up my mind on whether to buy this one.