[RELEASED] Cessna A-37 Dragonfly

Following up his superb T-37 Tweet, VrilleAPlat has released an A-37B Dragonfly version. And it’s as good or better than the trainer!

It’s not just a reskinned T-37. The heavier plane flies differently, and it has a full suite of configurable external stores and pylons. (As well as aerobatic smoke!)

Definitely one of the better freeware planes out there, and definitely a must-grab for fans of historic jets.

15 Likes

It’s a work of art. Better than plenty of payware! I’ve done two flights with it and enjoyed every minute.

4 Likes

The CP/M based tablet with the slow floppy load is hilarious and awesome.

2 Likes

I just had a quick flight. Wow! Very impressed with it. Really good quality and so many nice touches like the awesome tablet. The cockpit looks awesome in VR. Can’t wait to learn more about her!

Just one tiny suggestion for future updates: The reflector gunsight is drawn on the glass, but should be projected behind it, quite further back (noticeable in VR). I had it OFF most of the time, so not a major issue.

If you enjoyed the Fouga Magister you are going to love the Dragonfly. Great plane!

1 Like

3 Likes

Beautiful shot. Show’s her lines well.

Awesome plane but the gunsight is a bit of a mess. Not collimated and it blurs in motion if you have anti-aliasing on.

1 Like

Another outstanding freeware aircraft from VrilleAPlat

Really liked both the original Tweet and now the Dragonfly.

It amazes me that Freeware developers like this can make a far better effort of their work than some of the payware aircraft.

I’d probably say that the graphical work of this is probably not up to scratch of some payware but it most certainly good enough and I’m not complaining. The dev seems to have taken a lot of effort into the systems which IMHO is far more important for day-to-day flying.

They haven’t skimped on nice touches either, wheel chocks, engine grills and even a functional gunsight which is more than I can say for another payware cold war aircraft I recently purchased.

Overall a real good effort, I’d happily give the dev a few coin if they had a donate button.

3 Likes

Wow, taxi speed on this bird is fast like a race car :slight_smile:

1 Like

282 (0004) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

282 (0003) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

282 (0002) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

3 Likes

Third flight and getting to know it well enough to begin some tweaks on my control sensitivities – trim needs some dulling down, etc. Nice to hand fly though.

Noticed a strange visual while flying just after sunset and in VR. When looking at the instrument panel, dark patches (shadow like) appear over the clock and just to the right of the engine guages. They only appear in my right eye and only when looking directly at those spots.

1 Like

414 (0002) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

414 (0004) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

414 (0006) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

414 (0007) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

2 Likes

Looks good

AFTC (0002) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

AFTC (0006) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

AFTC (0004) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

3 Likes

Really nice shots! Lovely lighting

one more, of the Michigan ANG:
Screenshot (7580) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

Screenshot (7579) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

I have uploaded them, they should be available soon(ish)

2 Likes

Hi pby5a - my dad flew these for this exact Battle Creek, MI ANG unit back in the late 80s and early 90s (as well as the A-10s the base transitioned to after). Their color scheme on the A-37 didn’t have the white underbelly like this - is there any chance you could do one with the darker look?

This video here shows it - it’s that dark olive green look over the whole airplane:

1 Like

@TabsAZ A little closer, though it’s shades of green instead of green/gray:

@pby5a, your paints for this bird are amazing!

You know, I’d never switch to PC from Xbox, but times like this definitely makes me jealous. This aircraft looks awesome!