[RELEASED] English Electric Wren

No its not the Lightning ! :wink:

Powered by a 3hp motorcycle engine and weighing only 232lb (105kg) this is very slow, max speed of 50mph and she glides beautifully once at an altitude and engine turned off. The current version has a 8hp engine upgrade to make it more flyable but it will probably include the 3hp version just for giggles, anyway here are some pics all still WIP.

Package will include

Custom engine sounds from the real aircraft
Custom dirt/grime decals
Six paints (Two fictional, but in keeping with the era)
Three different rudder configurations
Hidden GPS and Radio stack
Three launch methods (Tow, winch, and standard take-off) winch and tow were never an option but it has been bungeed.
Fully VR compatible
Animated clipboard with “pilots notes”
Full PBR textures
Engine vibration
Accurate interior modelling (Access to the real plane, Shuttleworth Collection)
100 Years old !

Available now on:

17 Likes

Wow, awesome! :slight_smile:

Looks like another awesome plane from you :+1: I like how the wings kinda wrap around the pilot’s head, heh. Any chance of it coming in British racing green? Everything looks better in green!

1 Like

This looks like a good time

1 Like

That is nice! We should nickname it the “Cuddlewing”.

Another good and unique plane from RAS! I’m not surprised hehe

2 Likes

Will it get off the ground if I set the pilot weight to mirror mine? :rofl:

This looks fantastic! Love seeing the original aircraft bumbling around Old Warden. Please, please, please include the original engine version of the aircraft too. Would be great to have both.

2 Likes

I’ve adjusted the PBR textures in the cockpit, so it looks a lot better now. Also added the checklist, pilots notes and a hidden pocket compass, oh and a fuel gauge (not sure if the real plane has one or not)

6 Likes

I found on Reddit this info regards the power of the Wren:

"Just to clarify the horsepower of the engine that powered the Wren. It was actually the ABC 8HP engine; 3HP is its RAC (Royal Automobile Club) horsepower.

RAC Horsepower was a figure used for taxation purposes & bears no real relation to the actual power developed by the engine, being based solely on the cylinder bore & number of cylinders. As a result of taxation being based on RAC horsepower British cars of the 1920s & 30s tended to have small-bore, long-stroke engines -cheaper to tax, poor performance."

1 Like

It’s out and it’s fantastic! Thank you @RaraAvisSims for the awesome machine =)

I just spend some time flying it around Andrewsfield. The 3 hp version flies a lot better than I expected.

4 Likes

Just watched your video! Firstly: awesome work as usual! You really manage to capture the atmosphere!

But also: That. Engine. Sound. Oooooooh! It put-put-putters along and is so throaty for such a small engine. I think I’m in love :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you very much for your kind words! I’m glad you like it =)

Yeah, I was also surprised how throaty it sounds. There are quite a few videos of the real one flying at Old Warden and the in game sounds are perfect =)

3 Likes

By the way, where did you find the Wren? I checked on Rara Avis’ homepage and on fs.to but couldn’t find it quite yet.

I got it from Sim Market

But now it’s also out on Just Flight

2 Likes

Feel the powahhhh!!!

At the risk of sounding like a boy racer… how, umm… fast is it? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wonderful, thank you! Downloading right now from JF.

Almost thought there was a bug with the payment, turns out a VPN isn’t always suitable when processing a payment. Anyway, now it’s done and I can’t wait to take her into the air!

1 Like

Haha yeah it’s quite a rush :crazy_face:

Faster than I thought it would be…around 50-55 mph =)

1 Like

Awesome! I look forward to hearing what you think of it =)

In about 5 mins we’ll have two awesome new planes for today :upside_down_face:

Hehe yeah. I’ll race you in the Wildcat Vs this thing? :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Can I get a 20 min headstart? We’ll be racing to the end of the runway ok? :rofl: