[RELEASED] IniBuilds Messerschmitt Bf 108 Taifun

One of my all-time favourite aircraft is coming to MSFS soon.
The Bf 108 Taifun can be considered to be the first modern high performance GA aircraft and has greatly influenced the development of the venerable Bonanza which first flew 13 years later in 1947.

First flown in 1934 and manufactured at Messerschmitt‘s Bayerische Flugzeugwerke (hence the Bf) in Augsburg, Germany, the Bf 108 sports a comfortable four-seater layout and fighter-style flight stick configuration with left hand throttle. The large windows provide excellent visibility, and the modern light-weight aluminium construction, good aerodynamics and retractable landing gear show, this plane was also built for speed and set several speed and endurance records before the war. But even by todays standards the performance is still remarkable:

The Argus 10C inverted V8 engine supplys 240 hp, which is enough for a top speed of some 165 knots, a cruising speed of 150 knots and a climb of 1,000 ft/min. Due to the rather large and thirsty engine the range of only some 550 nautical miles doesn’t seem very impressive today, but in 1934 there were few sports aircraft that could manage that. The narrow conventional landing gear makes every landing into a challenge, so be prepared for many exciting take-offs and landings.
One of the Taifun‘s quirks was its overcomplicated system of five different fuel tanks. So if you like managing your fuel supply in mid-flight this plane is definitely for you :wink:

Almost immediately the plane was further developed into the much more famous Messerschmitt Bf 109 which served the Luftwaffe throughout the whole war as the mainstay of its fighter squadrons. Especially the landing gear and tail section show the common roots of the Bf 108 and Bf 109.

The Taifun was used both by private pilots as well as a trainer and courier plane by the German and Swiss Air Forces. Some also were requisitioned from private owners in the UK and used by the Royal Air Force. During the war the Bf 108 was manufactured in France at Nord Aviation and fitted with a Renault engine. After the war it was continued to be built as the Nord Pingouin.

Today it is a rare plane to find flying. Two airworthy examples belong to the Messerschmitt Foundation in Germany. If you ever get the chance to see one, listen closely. That Argus V8 makes the most amazing noise :slight_smile:

10 Likes

I just hope they do it justice. Their P-40 is…okay.

2 Likes

My thoughts exactly. Their P-40 is nice but it does some weird stuff about the pitch axis and can essentially do a front flip. I raised this issue and got no response.

Err - what? How?!
Vector thrust I assume :grin:

2 Likes

Excited about this too. Been watching the Kermit Weeks videos on a restoration.

3 Likes

It’s quite simple, just push the stick forward a little more than needed and the rate of rotation increases despite the stick not being pushed any further. It’s turned me off to the plane as a whole really. Anywho, I look forward to seeing some reviews when the Taifun is out.

■■■■ - been eyeing the P40 despite already owning the BR one, but not with this feature.

The 108 on the other hand…

7 Likes

Hi EllsGaming,

on the Turn & Slip Indicator in German must say DREHT not DRENT.

4 Likes

@EllsGaming
That’s correct.
Thanks for spotting that TP1024540.

Ah, bummer. I misread the release post and thought it was coming today, rather than videos being released today. Oh, well, patience! :slight_smile:

Looks promising, will definitely keep an eye on this one.

A Taifun is stationed at my home airport, so I’m lucky enough to see the real one from time to time:

6 Likes

Guys @EllsGaming @Archer374 ,
can you share more info about … textures? I saw info that model is using MIRORRED TEXTURES on external parts, what could be a joke and back to FS2002 :sweat_smile:, not as Today’s standards. I hope that someone is wrong about it. Please explain. I hope the textures are divided into each wing right and left as separate parts, fin, alierons, side of fuselage, etc. Model looks promising however if its true I think its not for me, we’ll see. Thank You for reply.

I have nothing to do with the plane. Just saw an announcement on msfsaddons.com and decided to start a thread. So I won’t be any help:

However, I also sincerely hope the model does not use mirrored textures. From the video the fuselage doesn’t look like it does.
Where did you get that information?

1 Like

Ok, look at this:

also the UK WW2 roundel here is wrong (only blue and red)

Well, that COULD be a mirrored texture, it also could not be. The mirrored camouflage could be a deliberate painting choice. The location of the roundel isn’t wrong. RAF and Luftwaffe aircraft do have roundels on both sides of the wings.
The yellow ring might be wrong, but I’m not sure about the RAF conventions here. After some research I tend to agree with you: yellow ring only on the fuselage.
But of course that has nothing do to with mirroring.

And this picture shows that different undersides of the wing are possible (unless it’s a decal, which I doubt)

I didnt write about the place, but about roundel colours, it should be type B.
About next research, it has issues too (and looks like mirrored too by lazy painter :sweat_smile: or issue of model, or maybe wip):

1 Like

That’s the most likely explanation.

1 Like

Perhaps yes, but they may be screenshots from the wip version, so that’s why I asked :).

Reg and tail numbers for example looks ok. I like Bf.108 very mutch and did few sinks for FSX too :slight_smile: (long time ago) !

and more …
Perhaps Id like to bring it to MSFS and do conversion for 4K for example.

2 Likes

The first one with the winter camo looks a bit strange with the registration on the wings. Haven’t seen that before. But the liveries are all great.