Released: MD-80

I cant wait. This will be a great bird to have in the Sim.

2 Likes

19 March 2022 MD82 Preview Video

Spring looks square to me?

1 Like

If anything, it’s octagonal. :wink:

Seriously, it’s just a 3D model of a helix with a relatively low number of vertices, probably to save rendering/performance time and GPU memory. Hardly a deal-breaker if the plane itself is well-modeled in terms of systems and flight dynamics.

7 Likes

For EUR75 could they at least round it off a bit more?

2 Likes

Fascinating. We have a bird coming out that is likely to be the deepest simulation of a jet we have had thus far and we are talking about a SPRING!

22 Likes

It’s not a deep simulation of the SPRING. Sorry for pointing out the squared spring. It will be a nightmare now for the folks with OCD.

5 Likes

yes me too. I bought the rotate md11 for xplane coz I love the challenging McDonnell Douglas aircraft, am going to get the leonardo MD80 instead of the pmdg 737. so I agree with the pricing I will always pay a premium for a well done complex aircraft that not everyone is buying

2 Likes

And that’s exactly why they didn’t bother modeling the spring more smoothly. Seriously, if this is your concern, the product probably isn’t for you. No offense intended - it’s fine to be off-put by one aspect of a product or another.

But continuing to sidetrack substantive discussion over something so superficial seems silly.

5 Likes

Let them be. If they don’t see it, they don’t see it. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

You need to go outside and enjoy some fresh air if that’s a genuine complaint

3 Likes

And I responded with a newer photo that shows it has been rounded out.

2 Likes

While you guys belittle the ‚spring thing‘ it is just an example that you’ll get a touched up model from the past (that you probably already have for last gen simulators) at a premium.

2 Likes

Looking good. Waiting in anticipation of Friday release and have booked the day off. Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

Oh ■■■■! That teases! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Live on time in Spanish

2 Likes

My issue with Sim Market is that there isn’t a great way to keep up with updates. You get a list of your downloads on your account, but no way to tell if your installed version is the current version. Your download list does not have a date field, which would alleviate much of this issue. There isn’t even a way to see the version number of the download unless the developer sneaks it into the file name itself. All you get is an email notification on the day a product is updated. If you are updating your add-ons daily, this likely won’t cause any problems, but if you come back after a break you just don’t know what products are current.

I have also seen issues where devs have sent updates to Sim Market which were not posted. Devs that I’ve emailed expressed shock to learn that their product didn’t receive a particular update, even months after the fact. This has happened to me twice with different devs and I have a small library on Sim Market.

I was excited when Sim Market launched an app, thinking that it would alleviate these issues, but sadly it works nothing like Orbx or Contrail, and the issues remain. Speaking of Orbx & Contrail, and even Aerosoft One, THAT is how you run an add-on app. You launch the app, it informs you of updates, you click and install them and you’re done.

8 Likes

Appreciate the link. Learning all the ways on how not to fly the aircraft!

That was my first time flying it, of course I was going to make a few mistakes, that was stated many times during the video, noone is born knowing how to fly a MD-82 :wink:
I took off and landed safely though, you know what they say xD

Good things to mention after flying it two times:
1- The documentation is quite good, I managed to learn how most things work just from it.
2- It is quite different from the 737, it requires a learning curve (I have only had 4 hours with it), mostly because things are in different places and are activated differently.
3- There are a few differences with the FSX version I used to use years ago, mainly in the startup process.

Only bad thing: textures, they are the same than in P3D in a few places, but we are here for the simulation, not textures.

Overall, super happy with it, 9.9/10, the few issues I had were pilot related, the team has done an OUTSTANDING job with this one

3 Likes

Which is a shame for this price level! The simulation includes graphics quality for immersion level for a lot of people.

12 Likes

Agree. One quasi-objective metric of visual realism: Can I tell the difference between a movie from the sim and a movie from the real aircraft? By that metric one could say that realism in terms of system functionality and flying by the numbers is way ahead of visual and audio realism, and that visual modeling, texturing, and sound is where the focus needs to take realism to the next level

Things like system functionality simulation and performance being on the numbers was achievable a decade or more ago, it is still an insane amount of work to get to the level expected at the highest levels of flight simulator addons but a port to MSFS of ten year old FMC and systems code will not feel old. A port of ten year old textures and sounds will definitely stand out and feel behind its time.

7 Likes