[Released on PC and Xbox] DC Designs Aérospatiale/BAC Concorde

Very useful info. I don’t get what they do for this happening but I will compare your values with the SU8 ones.

It’s great that you’ve researched it to this level. It may be related to a fuel pressure issue that I have to tweak in the fuel system.

the funny thing is that 1.39 matches the actual SFC of the concorde with Reheat.

2 Likes

No problem!

I just tried out the new IAS and Mach hold but it appears that these just hold 0° pitch at the moment. Also I think ALT ACQ should be compatible with both of these modes. For example you should be able to climb by using IAS Hold to maintain the airspeed at the time of selection and at the same time ALT ACQ should be engaged so that the aircraft levels off at the selected ALT.

Yeah, but for that you use the left ones. the right ones works different.

When you engage AT, you can use IAS hold, Mach hold or IAS ACQ, which are compatible with alt acq, alt hold, pitch hold, vert hold or Max cruise. The IAS hold and Mach hold right buttons are pitch based modes and not autothrottle modes.

Also, just in case you didn’t know you can control the vertical modes with the autopilot datum springs (center console):

Sorry if I wasn’t clear. I was referring to just the autopilot pitch controlled IAS and MACH holds.

Unless I’m doing something terribly wrong they don’t appear to work at the moment.

Pitch Hold also returns the aircraft to 0° when engaged, this should maintain the pitch at the time of engagement.

In summary
PITCH HOLD - Maintains pitch at time of engagement.
IAS HOLD - Holds airspeed at time of engagement by controlling pitch.
MACH HOLD - Holds MACH number at time of engagement by controlling pitch.

As in your image above all these can then be adjusted using the datum adjusts.

The FCOM that sort of alludes to this in the image I’ve attached but I’m certain that these modes all can be used in conjunction with ALT ACQ. Of course close monitoring of the altitude is required so that the autothrottle can be engaged or power manually reduced as the aircraft levels off. (Might be nice to have the Alt Alert warning to help with this)

To give a practical example, I read that it was preferred to use IAS HOLD instead MAX CLIMB during the subsonic climb. Basically once at VMO they’d engaged IAS HOLD, alt selector at 26,000ft and ALT ACQ armed.

1 Like

Another interesting snippet regarding ALT ACQ. Another warning exists to bring attention that the autothrottle isn’t engaged on level out. Also noted that missing the triangular “Prime light” that displays on initial selection (Highlighted in yellow)

Somehow I’ve been unable to get ILS approach correctly. Yesterday I was trying to land at KPHX runway 7L (Freq 111.50) which I set up in both left and right panel. I switched to RAD when I was lined up against the runway but couldn’t make the aircraft align itself. I was not even getting the distance on DME display.

by parts, alt acq and pitch hold are not compatible, hence the ias hold and right mach hold modes are not either, since they are based on pitch. Those modes are meant to hold a certain airspeed or mach number, so the plane can climb or even descend depending on power, but it will not climb to an altitude defined by alt acq. If you use alt acq it will scale to a certain vertical speed, but you can use vert hold to control that vertical speed, just as you can use pitch hold and control the pitch reference with datum adjust to climb or descend. The only ias hold or mach hold modes that would work with ALT ACQ would be the left ones, never the right ones.

now if you want to use the ias hold or mach hold modes on the right, to climb altitude, suppose you have pressed ias hold at 400 knots, if you apply maximum throttle, you will climb because you are exceding the target airspeed so the plane will have to nose up to lose airspeed. Otherwise, if you reduced power, the plane would nose down and descend, since it is the only way to maintain that target speed.

ALT ACQ basically has two modes . It should only command vert speed mode if ALT HOLD was engaged prior to it being engaged. If not then IAS Hold and MACH hold or PITCH hold can also be used to climb or descend the aircraft with ALT ACQ primed. Of course if your at 5000ft and want to climb to 10000ft but don’t apply enough thrust, the pitch will maintain the airspeed regardless and you may never acquire the altitude. That would be bad piloting.

The way to think of it is that ALT ACQ is only ever ARMED or Primed until you reach the altitude in the selector except if ALT HOLD was previously engaged.

I’ve attached some more pages below. The important part is that the “the autopilot will remain under control of the previous mode”

2 Likes

By this the Mach hold isn’t working for me, when I reached low cruise altitude and go to say, mach 1.7 and want to just hold that, pressing it will make it try to hold the ias in the ias selector capping at 400 knts instead

You cannot maintain mach 1.7 at a low altitude if it exceeds 400knots airspeed.

Ok, that can be done, that when pressing alt acq, it does not deactivate any of those 3 previous modes and that when reaching the target altitude it automatically switches to alt hold.

Hello! Is there plan to add an optional virtual flight engineer?

Second, I noticed the flight clock does not work for me. When active, it goes from 0 to 59 seconds then jumps back to 0 and this goes on and on.

Thanks

We don’t have a plan for an engineer at this time. I will check the clock, it seemed to be working the last time I checked but maybe something has changed since.

you are setting the standby frequencies, make sure to swap them to active in the fms.

1 Like

British AvGeek is doing a live stream today and actually making an effort to manage CG and fuel flow rates …

2 Likes

So the ones on the autopilot panel are not the active ones?

As discussed above several times, and in the manual, that is where the STANDBY frequency is set before swapping.

The better, more modern way to do it, is use the RAD/NAV panel on the FMS, which labels them clearly.

I tried that. When I select ILS freq as active in RAD-NAV panel, AP panel displays the standby freq. Something’s really confusing here.
Also, even on the times that it works correctly, the Land/Glide doesn’t start the descent and the plane’s track is slightly offset from the runway which could pose a challenge if visibility is poor.

They should be the active ones, I think it is a limitation of how the sim handles things.

Thank you Dean. The clock never worked for me.

As for the flight engineer, any third-party developer interested? :wink: