[Released] Wing42 Boeing 247D

Most issues with this aircraft have nothing to do with the engine realism, unfortunately.

1 Like

That’s all I’ve seen anybody complaining/arguing about for hundreds of posts. Issues with engine start and failures.

1 Like

Wrong instrument texture that requires a 3rd party mod to fix, low quality engine sounds, problems with the lever/switch position state saving (not sure if that can be switched off), missing sound for the starboard flywheel …

2 Likes

Most of these bugs are quite minor though. Missing flywheel sound is a minor inconvenience (I look at the % on the clipboard anyways).
My biggest issue besides engine related issues (mainly oil consumption being a mystery) is the sounds. I kinda don’t like them and the phasing effect is not great.
I wonder who developed the sounds?

The aircraft even without the engine realism is pretty amazing for the price.

You can turn off engine malfunctions in the clipboard but it does mess somewhat with engine temp/pressure etc displayed so if you do that just ignore the engines. Just try it and see if it works for you.

In reality keeping Oil Pressure and Manifold Pressure in the safe range will mean your fine so long as you do not run out of oil. (it is not clear to me why oil consumption sometimes randomly shoots up and you suddenly run dry, but it is probably related to oil SAE and temps)

Other things to watch / be aware of -

I doubt you will ever be able to CTRL_E start this thing. You can spawn with engines running and immediately throttle up to prevent them stopping but do learn the correct start procedure just in case you ever do need to restart an engine. Engine starts are not rocket science but need patience and strictly adhering to the right sequence .

There are a few “quality of life” complaints, for example some people do not like engine sounds (they are fine for me) and the RH engine crank sound seems to have gone AWOL but nothing mission critical.

The one significant issue that you will need to be aware of is the state saving is shall we say “not optimal” especially if you manage to crash the plane. Make sure you shutdown and switch everything off before doing your initial start-up procedures. If you crashed check fuel, it has a habit of spawning empty after a CFIT or major engine failure. New engines also spawn dead cold and can be tricky to start.

3 Likes

I don’t own the plane. I’ve mainly followed this thread to see how the 247 turns out because I was interested in the Lockheed Vega the developer was making.

1 Like

I wouldn’t buy anything from Wing42 anymore. Releasing software without any support / bug fixing afterwards is a no go for me.

16 Likes

Unfortunately I have to agree with you. It’s a real shame…

3 Likes

I think my main problem with this situation is one day a sim update is going to break this aircraft fully and there will be no fix - with updates being mandatory you can’t roll back to fix previously working addons.

If the dev comes back one day saying “hey guys, I just took a break” (which I hope is the case as the alternatives aren’t great) I personally will still not buy from them again. Others may be fine with it and no laws were broken - for me personally, there are better devs out there who I show appreciation for by buying their products.

Again, I hope it is just a case of a break from sim devving and all is alright but I’m out.

6 Likes

It’s just a really stupid situation. It would be so easy for Otmar to fix the small bugs and have a good reputation. Instead he takes the money he got from the initial sales and then becomes a ghost. Unless something happened to him?

2 Likes

I just checked and at least the Wing42 account page works now. So it’s possible again to download the B247D from Otmar’s website.

As for no support. Otmar’s last blog entry from April on the website sounded very much like he planned on providing support. That and the fact that his last visit on these forums was in April as well leads me to believe that the whole thing isn’t an intentional ghosting thing, but that something bad happend.

1 Like

It’s just hard to believe something bad happened to him just days after releasing his big product with massive sales. But what do I know? Maybe we should give him the benefit of the doubt until we know more.

1 Like

He released a Vega for FSX/P3D years back in an early access state and I don’t think that was ever finished and he would often go long periods without any updates or communication at all. Seems like he’s following that trend with the 274. At least the 247 is in a more complete state than the FSX/P3D Vega was though I guess. I do enjoy it if I disable engine damage even if the engine sound mix does annoy me a bit.

1 Like

Looks like Otmar fixed the website issues, looking good as of this morning!

Are we certain Otmar is maintaining the website? If he does, it would be nice if he gave som life signs… as long as he is okay that is.

3 Likes

I think he’s just not prepared to perform any kind of after-sales stuff, really. As someone mentioned earlier, he has form for making something buggy, and then disappearing off the face of the earth. If I I had to guess (and obviously it’s a guess) he’s taken the money and ran, and doesn’t care about fixing anything.

4 Likes

I think so too. I just think it’s a bad business model. Like who is going to buy from him again?

6 Likes

Well I did buy this and it is decent to be fair. But I won’t be buying anything he releases in future, personally. As I will now automatically think it will be released unfinished and left to rot.

6 Likes

Well if he releases something new before fixing the B247D then nobody should purchase it really. No evidence of that happening at the moment though.

3 Likes

Honestly, I don’t see what is wrong with it besides being a little complex and old…which it is. I just had one of my favorite flights in it flying up from KEYW (Key West) to KBCT (Boca Raton). It flew great with realism/engine failures and other tick boxes checked in the clipboard. I just kept it around 2000rpm, in the white arc on manifold pressure, trimmed it out, open the window and enjoyed the scenery. Cold and dark start, no issues. Oil burn was fine for the flight. Great aircraft to fly.

6 Likes