[Released] Wing42 Boeing 247D

There are definitely some issues with the aircraft, but mostly it is working fine.
There are no issues with it which is stopping me from actually flying it, I have yet to have an engine failure knocks on wood so far…
The main issues I am aware of is that persistence is a little finicky (some things are not in the correct position and I have to flick all the switches to make sure they are set correctly)
And oil burn seems to be a bit random. As in, the same exact flight with the same exact parameters can give me widely different oil consumption.

A more subjective matter is that I don’t like the sound of the engines, the phasing effect is particularly bothersome.

I think what worries most of us is the fact that the aircraft is likely to become broken in one update or the other without the support of the developer. Combine that with the fact that the remaining issues with the aircraft could probably be fixed a long time ago and you have some less than satisfied customers.

Totally understand the worry about updates and the guy ghosting after release which is definitely not cool. Personally I haven’t had the oil randomness.

4 Likes

It’s a fine airplane without any show stopping bugs. But it has some little things to be aware of and the engines are probably more sensitive than in real life. Nothing that can’t be worked around and I still enjoy the plane immensely. But I will be more hesitant to buy Otmar’s next product due to lack of updates of communication.

6 Likes

Perhaps, and hopefully not… but the aircraft he made for P3D still sits unfinished with bugs.

2 Likes

New released to relieve some of the challenges in the B247 : B247D Co-pilot!!

Copilot

•     Independent of Asobo autopilot, requires no modification of B247 files

•     Easy to used, single click on/off

•     Simple (indicated) altitude and (DG) heading hold with some deviations

•     You can still handfly & override the co-pilot without switching off

Additional

•     Display remaining oil, because the oil burn has issues

•     Switch alternator on to charge batteries (B247 has no switch, and is default off in MSFS)

•     Display Zulu time (cockpit clock is local time and jumps back/forward)

NOTE - requires Mobiflight to be installed!

10 Likes

This gentleman is taking the B247D around the world, hand flown, with realism on.

2 Likes

Ok so my first experiences:
Read the manual … Check
Started the engines … Check
Run-Up… No information aviable, downloaded checklist from the internet check
Takeoff … Ok
Gear … Wont go into neutral, removed my gear binding works (In the DC-6 you can select neutral without having to remove your button binding)
Climb … Literally no idea what to do with the oil temperature and mixture (manual and checklist provide zero information)
Cruise … Ok got the assumption that 12oclock position means normal reading
Oil temps drops to 50, oil pressure rises to 120+ … close the oil shutters

… nothing happens, oil temps stay low, engine temps stay below 200F
Playing around with mixture and carb heat to try to get the temps up … no response whatsoever

After 15 min I find myself head down in the cockpit, as Im looking out the window I realize im in a vertical dive

I hit the ground and die.

Conclusion: Its really frustrating to fly a plane where you are supposed to watch the temperatures, when you dont know what the correct temperatures are like.

Also during the flight it felt like the oil shutters and mixture control levers are just for aesthatics and do nothing.

Now Im aware that everything going wrong might be induced by myself, but looking back, I dont see what I did wrong. And missing information from the manual and checklist concerning correct oil press/temp and mixture setting are certainly not helping analysing what I maybe did wrong

Engine oil — specifically conventional non-synthetic engine oil — as we can presume we are utilizing in this vintage aircraft modeled to be period correct — should be operated in the 195°-220° F range.

I don’t have the sim installed on my PC, currently. Are the oil temperature gauges in C? If so, ~100° would be your target temperature.

The shutter controls won’t instantly change the oil temperature. You have an oil tank that contains a fair amount of oil and it will retain heat.

I’m not sure how much of this thread you’ve read, but there are known issues with the oil pressure/temperature system, which all of us would like to see fixed. Unfortunately, the developer has deserted us.

I think the trick (search some of the semi-recent threads here) is to chase pressure rather than temperature. If you can keep the oil pressure in safe range, then you can — given the issues with the system — ignore the oil temperature to an extent.

Hey TB500Gamer…

Yes, this plane will bite you.

Question 1 - did you load the proper oil type for the temperature where you were flying? Question 2 - did you maintain proper Manifold and pressure settings (cruise 30" and 2100 rpm)?

Get my checklist here for some more help - Wing42 Boeing 247D checklist » Microsoft Flight Simulator

I know whats wrong: The dials.

They dont work so you have to tap them. Thats why I didnt see any changing indications. I just remebered this from a yt video. it would be nice if the manual statet that tapping the dials is possible

1 Like

Yes, I discovered that you can tap all of them, recently, by total accident. I’d just happened to notice the little hand/finger cursor and was curious.

Note, too, that some people here in this thread have had a very hard time not having engine failures/fires.

Others, like myself, have never had one.

Some surmise that they aren’t doing anything wrong and still have the failures/fires. Knowing there are issues present with the model, it’s hard to know what the reasons are for this. Is it user error or not? That is unknown.

1 Like

Btw guys. Is there a code for vatsim? and is there a virtual app that enables radios with better channel spacing OR MAKE THE VHF holds their position ion between two positions. I discovered that works as well

Did you check the clipboard on the top of the instrument panel?

That has a transponder code (I think, again I don’t have the sim on my PC and I can’t check, but I’m pretty sure it’s there).

As for the radio, I’m not sure.

Thanls fpr your infor. Do you have any advice on mixture settings? To what extend should you lean the engines?

It’s funny, I usually don’t forget anything, however I’m having a hard time recalling what I use for a reference when leaning that aircraft.

I want to say I’m looking at engine RPM/manifold vacuum and tuning for performance there. I tend to fly with “Headphone Simulation”, so I’m not tuning them, by ear.

Ok here we go again.
28MAP
2000RPM
FULL RICH

Oil temp at 50
and oil pressure shots up to 120+
oil shutter fully closed. What should I do?

What oil viscosity have you selected via the clipboard prior to your flight? Is it matched to your ambient air temperature range?

I left about 3/4 of tank of SAE 30

Right, but is SAE 30 correct for your current ambient air temperature at altitude?

One other thought here: the last I flew the 247 was during SU10 beta and I found no issues with it. It’s possible something was changed in SU11 that could be affecting the plane. I had such poor performance with SU11 beta on my PC I removed it and have been flying only on my Xbox, so I can’t test it for you right now.

Ok update.
for 5 min nothing happened.
Then I decided to pull back the rpm past 2000rpm. to 1970 rpm
Then the pressure dropped to 70 psi and temp 70f

Thats how it is now with full shutter.

FULL rich carb heat 3/4 with 90f. Speed 160. OAT 08C/50F indicated.

What concerns me is the engine temperate.
All engines indicate 90-100F. The manual said I should keep it between 200 and 350F if I recall correctly?!?