[Released] Wing42 Boeing 247D

aaaannsd thy are back up

Those temperatures seem really low. Are you way too rich on your mixtures and the engine is “choking” on fuel and not burning hot enough?

What happens if you aggressively start to lean it?

I’m really wondering if SU11 broke the aircraft.

Nothing happens when I lean it. It feels like the mixture lever is for aesthatic reasons.

Pressures and temps stay the same all around. also im at 2000ft msl so not too much risk of choking the engine

All of that sounds completely reasonable.

I’m out of ideas, beyond a possible issue with the installation. Do you have any assistances turned on, accidentally or otherwise?

T & P need 10-15 mins to settle. Don’t chase the needles. And apply small changes. At this alt (2400 or so?), mixture should be practically
fully forward

Ok Ill try to leave it as it is.

MEanwhile look at this. (Same setting)

Looks OK. 30" / 1900 RPM (slightly low, try 2100). Oil temp looks OK. Give it some time. Did you load the right oil for the temp (50F)?

Ok I increased to 2100rpm. Btw The other engine also came down to 70psi oil pressure.

I selected SAE30.

Ok so I took your advice and didnt chase the needles. I set oil shutters to 95% closed

NAd after a couple minutes both needles stabilized at 70 psi. Ill try to get them to 60 now.

Almost reached mydestination

Edit: one of them just shot to 120+ again :frowning:

70 psi would be just fine. SAE30 is good.
You’ll get it. Small changes to shutters, then wait and see.

This is my favorite ride in the game and I had all these problems at the beginning. My advice is to ignore oil temp completely. I adjust shutters to keep Oil Pressure between 70 and 90 and I’m golden every time. I cruise around 1800-1850 RPM and and lean to between 65-70%.

I take off with shutters fully open and slowly close them to keep Oil Pressure from going over 90. Mind your oil grade and make slow engine adjustments. I heard anecdotally that with old radials you should aim to make engine power adjustments at the speed of the second hand of a clock.

This module in its current state is one where you have to adjust your flying technique to anecdotal best practices rather than what you think it ought to be. I still think it’s brilliant.

3 Likes

Made it to my destination :slight_smile: Does anybody lnow the landing speeds of this thing?

Ok it seems like trouble on my end. But still one thing annoys me:

Why do I make a change. Then nothing happens for 5 min and suddenly in a time period of 10 seconds the pressure changes. I mean I know now Im not supposed to “chase the needle” but why does the pressure and temp drop/increase so all of a sudden instead of a smooth gradual change of this 5 min time period.

1 Like

The lag in response after input comes from the fact that when you open the shutters, it takes time for all the engine oil to circulate through and cool off/warm up. You have to make adjustments more based on the movement trajectory, rather than its current reading. Most importantly, make small adjustments.

Someone had a great explanation further up here, I’ll look for it.

Alright. One thing I learned from this flight is that the adjustments should be really small. Like tiny.

Anyway thanks everyone for this nice first flight.

While the ground crew does its job Im wondering is there anyway to fix the VHF radios “in between” to positions? I found that makes it possible to tune any frequency on VATSIM.

And 100kHz channel spacing is not usable.

1 Like

I’ve been following the last posts and I find this addon fascinating. I don’t have it because all the criticism it has received the past months due the absence of the developer. But I’m changing my mind after read these posts.

Does it has a cargo version?

1 Like

No. They are all passenger cabins.

Indeed, Otmar’s silence is awkward. However, the B247 really has only a few bugs. And because it bypasses much default functions, it is quite robust to Sim Updates.

Did you check the Music radio function, and the Co-Pilot add-on ? Boeing 247D Co-Pilot » Microsoft Flight Simulator.

1 Like

Okay guys, just departed on my second flight and I gotta be honest with you.
The way it suddenly shots up within 5 seconds after not touching the power for 5 minutes doesnt feel right.

It shots up wether I make a tiny tiny adjustment and even if i dont adjust at all.
Also its not delayed, its explosive. If the oil really was to circulate it would slowly abd consistently change indications over a long period of time. The pressure skyrocketing to maximum indicated despite full oil shutter and not touching anything for multiple minutes cant be as intended.

After a couple minutes the pressure misteriously drops again

Im gonna fly more and try different oil but something is odd here…

1 Like

Didnt work this time

1 Like

2. Succesful flight. 1. flight on VATSIM. In order to tune 123.225 I had to hold the selector between to positions but it worked (apprx. a min before I slipped into a different frequency)

Switched to SAE20W. Basically similar observations. Tried to adjust oil shutters by keeping a position for 5 mins, then selecting half way between the old position and oil shutters closed position. At apprx. 95% after 3 min the oil pressure stabilized at 70psi after staying at 120+ the whole flight.

Valuable experience for the next flight right here.

2 Likes